Author Topic: Jabari Bird arrested  (Read 45681 times)

Re: Jabari Bird arrested
« Reply #330 on: October 03, 2018, 09:40:36 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
If a psychotic episode is brought on by reaction to prescribed medication, how can that person be responsible. Under those circumstances THERE IS A POSSIBILITY of two victims.
IF! IF this was as a result of a psychosis brought on by medication or improperly diagnosed and untreated.Even maybe too early but something wasn't right and he sought out help.
These were the actions of a very sick young man.

This kid used to go to bed with his trainers on,he went to college played ball with Jaylen and now just signed a two year several million dollar contract.
Maybe pro basketball did it to him-the pressure to perform ,the anxiety of feeling not good enough or it was going to be taken away.
Something pushed him over the edge into insanity
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 09:53:12 AM by rollie mass »

« Reply #331 on: October 03, 2018, 12:02:52 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
If a psychotic episode is brought on by reaction to prescribed medication, how can that person be responsible. Under those circumstances THERE IS A POSSIBILITY of two victims.
IF! IF this was as a result of a psychosis brought on by medication or improperly diagnosed and untreated.Even maybe too early but something wasn't right and he sought out help.

This kid used to go to bed with his trainers on,he went to college played ball with Jaylen and now just signed a two year several million dollar contract.
Maybe pro basketball did it to him-the pressure to perform ,the anxiety of feeling not good enough or it was going to be taken away.

Does he have any personal responsibility?

What if the meds didn't make him psychotic, but just made him more prone to anger? Who’s fault is it then? In general, we do not give a pass to criminals just because they were having a hard time handling themselves emotionally.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #332 on: October 03, 2018, 12:06:04 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

What if the meds didn't make him psychotic, but just made him more prone to anger? Who’s fault is it then? In general, we do not give a pass to criminals just because they were having a hard time handling themselves emotionally.

And where do we draw the line on a subject becoming a victim? Ted Bundy was clearly insane was he a victim of his own insanity?

« Reply #333 on: October 03, 2018, 12:09:36 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

And where do we draw the line on a subject becoming a victim? Ted Bundy was clearly insane was he a victim of his own insanity?

My guess is that part of the problem for some here is the color of the laundry Bird wears. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #334 on: October 03, 2018, 12:11:44 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

My guess is that part of the problem for some here is the color of the laundry Bird wears.

Exactly. The empathy that should be directed to the REAL victim is misplaced.

« Reply #335 on: October 03, 2018, 12:39:09 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Of course he was.  Someone can spend life in prison or get the chair due to their heinous acts and the danger they pose to society and also be a victim.  It wasn't his choice to be born a psychopath.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #336 on: October 03, 2018, 12:50:06 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Of course he was.  Someone can spend life in prison or get the chair due to their heinous acts and the danger they pose to society and also be a victim.  It wasn't his choice to be born a psychopath.

You know, we discuss this a lot at the courthouse.  I feel both sympathy and scorn for pedophiles. Sympathy, because they didn’t choose these urges and sexual compulsions. It has to be a terrible way to live. Scorn, because they don’t adequately resist those urges, and in the process, destroy lives.

Ultimately, I think the system has to focus the bulk of its resources and sympathies to the victims.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #337 on: October 03, 2018, 01:34:35 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

yes roy, but you know this works both ways.

does he have full and complete personal responsibility?

what if they DID make him psychotic and more prone to anger. who's fault is it then?

in general, we do give a pass to people-who-cannot-control-themselves-due-to meds just because they are unable to control themselves emotionally?

your point begs the question, no? no one is arguing "give him a pass even though he is responsible for his actions." the arguments are IF he is NOT responsible fully for those actions, then it is not appropriate to hold him responsible.

for me, until we have evidence one way or the other, i favor waiting before judging.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #338 on: October 03, 2018, 01:40:41 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • bammokja

You know, we discuss this a lot at the courthouse.  I feel both sympathy and scorn for pedophiles. Sympathy, because they didn’t choose these urges and sexual compulsions. It has to be a terrible way to live. Scorn, because they don’t adequately resist those urges, and in the process, destroy lives.

Ultimately, I think the system has to focus the bulk of its resources and sympathies to the victims.
roy, may i suggest you read a very, very interesting book that changed the way i view personal responsibility and how our social/legal systems teach us to understand how people behave?

i promise you, this is an easy and entertaining read. but it changed how i see people and my concept on individuals. now, when i view incidents such as this one, i see them differently and realize our legal system is ill equipped to deal with such people.

plus, it has a number of really fascinating and interesting stories about brains that are worth reading.  ;D

the book is titled Incognito: The Secret Lives of the Brain.

https://www.amazon.com/Incognito-Secret-Lives-David-Eagleman/dp/0307389928
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #339 on: October 03, 2018, 01:45:45 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

yes roy, but you know this works both ways.

does he have full and complete personal responsibility?

what if they DID make him psychotic and more prone to anger. who's fault is it then?

in general, we do give a pass to people-who-cannot-control-themselves-due-to meds just because they are unable to control themselves emotionally?

your point begs the question, no? no one is arguing "give him a pass even though he is responsible for his actions." the arguments are IF he is NOT responsible fully for those actions, then it is not appropriate to hold him responsible.

for me, until we have evidence one way or the other, i favor waiting before judging.
Trying to excuse a crime using mental illness or drug use is completely allowed. And that person who committed that crime should be given the help they need to get healthy. But that's a far cry from being a victim. The people they hurt are the victims.

I mean, are people who are on recreational drugs who commit crimes because they are addicted victims? How about people who drink and drive who hurt people? Are they victims? Where do you draw the line of victimization?

I am sorry but I don't call people who hurt others victims. You can call them a lot of things but victims isn't one of them.

« Reply #340 on: October 03, 2018, 01:46:27 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Hwanghini:  Sure, I’ll pick it up and let you know what I thought.

« Reply #341 on: October 03, 2018, 08:23:19 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • bammokja
Hwanghini:  Sure, I’ll pick it up and let you know what I thought.
Great. I am not in agreement with the authors final points on our legal system, but his initial arguments on how it’s assumptions do not align with new ideas on brains is compelling, enjoy!

I learned a lot and it made me think. What more can we ask of a book?  ;D
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #342 on: January 30, 2019, 02:35:04 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
https://www.celticsblog.com/2019/1/30/18203856/jabari-bird-facing-two-new-charges-domestic-violence-case-court-brighton-boston-celtics-arrest-nba

Jabari Bird facing two new charges in domestic violence case

Both charges stem from the same September incident.

Boston Celtics guard Jabari Bird appeared in Brighton Municipal Court on Wednesday and pleaded not guilty to new charges of witness intimidation and threatening to commit a crime. Both counts are from the same September domestic violence incident, per court documents that were made public in Brighton on Wednesday.

Bird faces charges of strangulation, assault, and kidnapping from said September incident, where he reportedly choked a woman in his Brighton residence twelve times during the assault. He was arraigned and released on $50,000 bail in September.

The 24-year-old has not been with the team since his arrest, but is still under contract while the NBA continues their league investigation. He is listed each day on the Celtics injury report as “out”, for “personal reasons”.

Bird signed a two-year, $3 million minimum deal with the Celtics this past summer.

His next court date is scheduled for February 13th.

« Reply #343 on: January 30, 2019, 07:06:47 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
https://www.celticsblog.com/2019/1/30/18203856/jabari-bird-facing-two-new-charges-domestic-violence-case-court-brighton-boston-celtics-arrest-nba

Jabari Bird facing two new charges in domestic violence case

Both charges stem from the same September incident.

Boston Celtics guard Jabari Bird appeared in Brighton Municipal Court on Wednesday and pleaded not guilty to new charges of witness intimidation and threatening to commit a crime. Both counts are from the same September domestic violence incident, per court documents that were made public in Brighton on Wednesday.

Bird faces charges of strangulation, assault, and kidnapping from said September incident, where he reportedly choked a woman in his Brighton residence twelve times during the assault. He was arraigned and released on $50,000 bail in September.

The 24-year-old has not been with the team since his arrest, but is still under contract while the NBA continues their league investigation. He is listed each day on the Celtics injury report as “out”, for “personal reasons”.

Bird signed a two-year, $3 million minimum deal with the Celtics this past summer.

His next court date is scheduled for February 13th.

The wheels of justice turn slowly
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #344 on: January 30, 2019, 07:09:19 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Will the courts and NBA finish stuff up before the Celtics have to figure out whether Bird is part of their team payroll to determine if and how much they are into the tax?