Author Topic: Perk on Grant Williams: "He's a poor man's Draymond Green"  (Read 9722 times)

Re: Perk on Grant Williams: "he's a poor mans draymond green"
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2019, 08:52:29 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
High floor, low ceiling. I’ll take it from a late first rounder!

I agree.  low ceiling could turn into mid ceiling if he can shoot the NBA 3 at a decent clip. 

Williams has also the Marcus Smart soccer acting down apparently lol

Kentucky fans have inducted him into the "flopping" hof

we will have to see this for ourselves. And the NBA refs won't fall for it ....initially

As some have put it,  Grant Williams is a fit Jared Sullinger more than he is a poor man Draymond

Just like Sullinger, Williams is an excellent rebounder. Uses his strength well to box out and use his chest to shield the ball from bigger players

Unlike Sullinger he is smarter on both ends regarding the little things ....which is a coaches dream.  Setting picks all over court, little bumps here and there.   Working with guys/directing on the court to try to solve puzzles

Even though not athletic in terms of changing directions quickly,  amazing leaping ability

he can jump really quickly off the ground and has very good anticipation.  Really decent shot blocker, rebounder and getting some steals.   I'm pretty psyched to see what he can bring to the table

Re: Perk on Grant Williams: "He's a poor man's Draymond Green"
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2019, 09:07:38 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
This is the worry with Williams guarding bigger/longer/ more athletic players at the next level

Pj Washington is like the same height at 6'8 but has a 7'2 wingspan and better leaper

Washington post and dunk on Williams
https://youtu.be/h73SUqtoV0w

« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2019, 09:11:32 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
Williams retweeted a tweet with a video scouting report of himself, and the video mentioned that he speaks 10 languages. Does anyone know if that’s true? Because if it is, it might pump the brakes on the “let’s not call well-spoken ballers smart” train from another recent thread. 

« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2019, 09:24:27 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
sounds like Bass to me  :-X

« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2019, 09:53:04 PM »

Offline MaxAMillion

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 16
Amazing how all of Ainge's draft picks will be stars.

« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2019, 10:17:07 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
This is the worry with Williams guarding bigger/longer/ more athletic players at the next level

Pj Washington is like the same height at 6'8 but has a 7'2 wingspan and better leaper

That's the worry. Were he 6'10, he'd have been the 2nd or 3rd pick in the draft.

I saw almost every game of his college career. Super heady, high bbiq player, who usually stays in position to prevent things like the Washington dunk. He outplayed Washington in 2 of their 3 matchups this year.

I think he'll work hard and develop a decent mid range jumper. With his lack of height, if he's the PF, he's going to need a rim protector playing with him. Playing small ball with him as the big would probably be a disaster. But I can see what CBS is saying in that the offense can run through him. Great passer who understands spacing. He'd be potentially great in that role if he develops a more consistent 3 pt shot.

Having said that, one thing probably not mentioned in scouting reports, he commits a lot of lazy, stupid fouls. I have no explanation for that, other than lack of concentration. He was in foul trouble or fouled out of a lot of games this year, mostly because of unnecessary fouls.

« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2019, 10:44:43 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

I hope he boxes out because he is going to need to with his 26" vertical.
he plays very good basketball and is very smart. he is also extremely strong. and he doesnt hesitate to use his strength under the basket.

i like his game and i think he will contribute this year for the celtics off the bench.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2019, 11:09:03 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I hope he boxes out because he is going to need to with his 26" vertical.
he plays very good basketball and is very smart. he is also extremely strong. and he doesnt hesitate to use his strength under the basket.

i like his game and i think he will contribute this year for the celtics off the bench.

He has enough girth to box out. lol

« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2019, 11:30:28 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

That's the worry. Were he 6'10, he'd have been the 2nd or 3rd pick in the draft.

I saw almost every game of his college career. Super heady, high bbiq player, who usually stays in position to prevent things like the Washington dunk. He outplayed Washington in 2 of their 3 matchups this year.

I think he'll work hard and develop a decent mid range jumper. With his lack of height, if he's the PF, he's going to need a rim protector playing with him. Playing small ball with him as the big would probably be a disaster. But I can see what CBS is saying in that the offense can run through him. Great passer who understands spacing. He'd be potentially great in that role if he develops a more consistent 3 pt shot.

Having said that, one thing probably not mentioned in scouting reports, he commits a lot of lazy, stupid fouls. I have no explanation for that, other than lack of concentration. He was in foul trouble or fouled out of a lot of games this year, mostly because of unnecessary fouls.

on point

Williams will need to hit that NBA 3 pt shot at 35 percent to help out the rest of his game

« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2019, 11:33:41 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
sounds like Bass to me  :-X

Brandon Bass wishes he has Grant Williams IQ

Bass was also a very mediocre rebounder and shot blocker.  Mediocre anticipation

« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2019, 11:34:50 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

on point

Williams will need to hit that NBA 3 pt shot at 35 percent to help out the rest of his game
I think he'll be able to do that. FT% is usually a good indicator, or projection tool, for determining likely shooting success. And G Williams has developed into a very good free throw shooter (and he also gets there a lot - a common theme in all our picks)
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2019, 11:41:21 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
look at this block.... amazing

It's true Williams is not above the rim.  But he has underrated athleticism. Functional. A guy who lacks athleticism/can't jump....can't block shots like this 

https://youtu.be/PkR54jCy3V0?t=101

« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2019, 11:49:22 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

on point

I think he'll be able to do that. FT% is usually a good indicator, or projection tool, for determining likely shooting success. And G Williams has developed into a very good free throw shooter (and he also gets there a lot - a common theme in all our picks)

yes but wasn't Sullinger also a pretty decent FT shooter?

If Grant can't hit the NBA 3 at a respectable level it is not the end of the world...but it would open doors if he can (hopefully)

even when he shot the college 3, he needed time to set up ....before shooting.  A sec too late in the NBA

So would love to see him "speed" up the 3 point shot like how he does his 15 ft jumpers

Celts seem like they like to do these 3 pt contests + extra hours at practice = does the trick

« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2019, 11:52:07 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
look at this block.... amazing

It's true Williams is not above the rim.  But he has underrated athleticism. Functional. A guy who lacks athleticism/can't jump....can't block shots like this 

https://youtu.be/PkR54jCy3V0?t=101
#2 was against his new teammate.

« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2019, 11:55:24 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

on point

yes but wasn't Sullinger also a pretty decent FT shooter?

If Grant can't hit the NBA 3 at a respectable level it is not the end of the world...but it would open doors if he can (hopefully)

even when he shot the college 3, he needed time to set up ....before shooting.  A sec too late in the NBA

So would love to see him "speed" up the 3 point shot like how he does his 15 ft jumpers

Celts seem like they like to do these 3 pt contests + extra hours at practice = does the trick
Sullinger was decent in college, but he never improved to the 80%+ mark that Williams was at during his last season. Williams also seems to be in a general sense more aware of the game and what he needs to do to improve. Also, in fairness to Sully, he had two seasons of shooting 45%+ from 16-23 feet two seasons in a row, so he had a decent touch. I feel like he was regularly forced into dumb 3's.

I reckon G Williams has the ability to get better also due to his physique and lack of back issues.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)