Author Topic: Perk on Grant Williams: "He's a poor man's Draymond Green"  (Read 9928 times)

Re: Perk on Grant Williams: "he's a poor mans draymond green"
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2019, 08:14:53 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
High floor, low ceiling. I’ll take it from a late first rounder!
- LilRip

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2019, 08:19:40 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
High floor, low ceiling. I’ll take it from a late first rounder!
Yes, and he doesn't have to be Dray to be a fantastic pick.
If he is in the class of PJ Tucker as a physically strong, mentally tough and team-first guy who can shoot some.
We have struck gold.
The kid is growing on me.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2019, 08:23:25 AM »

Offline Stig

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26
> "poor mans draymond green"

so he's like Jordan Bell?

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2019, 08:33:05 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
> "poor mans draymond green"

so he's like Jordan Bell?

I hope not, Bell has only averaged 4/3 so far.

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2019, 08:51:23 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Williams is a much more polished scorer, but he's a worse passer and a worse defender. I think he has the tools to be an Al Horford like passer (not quite on Draymond's level) and a really strong defender though.

will yall just slam the breaks already. This guy was drafted after Romeo so if he is this good what can we expect from Romeo?
In terms of immediate impact I would with confidence say Williams will be better. Langford has more potential because of age, athletic profile and general skill profile (scoring guard/wing vs undersized all-round swing), but I think Williams will be the better rookie.

this

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2019, 08:59:01 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I hope he boxes out because he is going to need to with his 26" vertical.
From what I've seen and heard of him he utilises his strength really well in things like boxing out, so he'll be fine imo.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2019, 09:02:06 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
To me, this guy sort of projects to be one of those career rotation guy who’s in the league for like 10 years. I honestly don’t mean that as a slight. He has the tools to be a solid player. Does a lot of things right. Key for him will be if he can’t successfully extend his shot to 3 pt line and improving his mobility to be a better defender on the perimeter. He’s got a nice old school game near the basket and mid range.

The best part about him is that he’s legit excited to be part of the Cs and he has leadership qualities.

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2019, 09:03:33 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
To me, this guy sort of projects to be one of those career rotation guy who’s in the league for like 10 years. I honestly don’t mean that as a slight. He has the tools to be a solid player. Does a lot of things right. Key for him will be if he can’t successfully extend his shot to 3 pt line and improving his mobility to be a better defender on the perimeter. He’s got a nice old school game near the basket and mid range.

The best part about him is that he’s legit excited to be part of the Cs and he has leadership qualities.

At 22 in a weak draft, that is pretty good return. I think he will be better, but I'm always optimistic about our picks, LOL.

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2019, 09:06:20 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Boxing out should be a strength, with his strength and lower center of gravity.Offensive rebounding  is a special talent and takes some serious  commitment and a willingness to absorb pain
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 09:20:58 AM by rollie mass »

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2019, 10:19:01 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Draymond is superior athletically I do believe.

Vastly.

But who knows. I expect a good bench player as a ceiling. Hope i am wrong. I want to like him more than that.
Jeesh, that is a ridiculously harsh ceiling. I get that DA didn't take the guys you wanted, but man oh man

a good bench player out of pick 22 is not bad.

I think his physical limitation will hinder him, I hope I am wrong though.

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2019, 10:20:19 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/celtics-first-round-pick-grant-williams-poor-mans-draymond-green

“On the defensive end, this guy, I coached him at the [pre-draft] combine, he literally can guard one [point guard] through five
,” Perkins said on ESPN’s The Jump. “He does it all. His shot has gotten better; he scores. He’s got a nice mid-range, he finishes around the rim, he’s very athletic. And he’s an under-rated shot blocker. He reminds me of a poor man’s Draymond Green.”

And while some might see it as being a bit early to compare him to such a proven talent as Green, the numbers put up by both coming into the NBA are pretty similar.

While Green came into the league with a significantly larger wingspan (7-feet, 1 1/4 inches compared to Williams’ 6-9 3/4 inches), the two are actually the same height (6-7 1/2) with a similar girth (Williams weighs 240.2 pounds, Green came in at 235.6).

They have an identical hand length of nine inches, with Williams having the wider hands (10.5 inches versus Green’s 9.5).

While the Green comparisons are nice, one of the biggest selling points when it comes to Williams is his high basketball I.Q.

Btw

Find it odd that he took that pic right when passing a marijuana sign.....Williams a pothead??

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2019, 10:26:52 AM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126
https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/celtics-first-round-pick-grant-williams-poor-mans-draymond-green

“On the defensive end, this guy, I coached him at the [pre-draft] combine, he literally can guard one [point guard] through five
,” Perkins said on ESPN’s The Jump. “He does it all. His shot has gotten better; he scores. He’s got a nice mid-range, he finishes around the rim, he’s very athletic. And he’s an under-rated shot blocker. He reminds me of a poor man’s Draymond Green.”

And while some might see it as being a bit early to compare him to such a proven talent as Green, the numbers put up by both coming into the NBA are pretty similar.

While Green came into the league with a significantly larger wingspan (7-feet, 1 1/4 inches compared to Williams’ 6-9 3/4 inches), the two are actually the same height (6-7 1/2) with a similar girth (Williams weighs 240.2 pounds, Green came in at 235.6).

They have an identical hand length of nine inches, with Williams having the wider hands (10.5 inches versus Green’s 9.5).

While the Green comparisons are nice, one of the biggest selling points when it comes to Williams is his high basketball I.Q.

Btw

Find it odd that he took that pic right when passing a marijuana sign.....Williams a pothead??

You really are looking for any way to disparage the draft picks, huh? Those signs are everywhere in Boston and the Greater Boston area. It would be hard to take a pic without one being in the background  ;D

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2019, 10:33:18 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
Draymond is superior athletically I do believe.

Vastly.

But who knows. I expect a good bench player as a ceiling. Hope i am wrong. I want to like him more than that.
Jeesh, that is a ridiculously harsh ceiling. I get that DA didn't take the guys you wanted, but man oh man

He's been like this for over a week now. I get things aren't going to plan. But I like to look eventually look for positives when things go south. And its not even that bad compare to some teams. DA has hit and miss in drafts. Most trades have been good. Cant always know the outcome of things when your taking chances.

I mean my wife lost her job and we're moving from Maine to Utah with out jobs. Who knows if its going to work out for the better. Can only rollthe dice and see what comes up.

Sucks you lost you jobs.

I am not going to put alot of expectations on any of the picks. Right now they are bench players until they prove otherwise, hopefully they overcome the very big deficits they each have and can learn to work within them, but logically speaking, they are big stumbling blocks.

Romeo has tunnel vision, poor shot selection, is an inept and unwilling playmaker/passer, and a completely disinterested defender.

Williams is very limited athletically and is probably the best he will ever be in that regards now.

Thats not being negative, that is hard truths.

Williams seems smart, and Langford has great length and athletic ability though.

Which to me puts Williams as a low ceiling high floor type of player. good bench player, sometimes starter on a lower tiered team floor, and a great bench player sometimes starter on a contender. I think his impact will be similar to guys like Taj Gibson/Marcus Morris, Maybe a david west type, Chuck Hayes, PJ Tucker. Solid guys who play important parts on winning teams, just dont see an allstar here.

Langford is high risk high reward type with an out of the league or on his 5th team in 6 years players, or a 6th man of the year type of player

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2019, 10:35:13 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell

Btw

You really are looking for any way to disparage the draft picks, huh? Those signs are everywhere in Boston and the Greater Boston area. It would be hard to take a pic without one being in the background  ;D

aint nothing wrong with smoking weed.

we made it completely legal here in Canada. We love it.

I think anyone should be able to smoke, massive health benefits to taking cannabis (outside of the damage to the lungs if you actually smoke, lol)

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2019, 10:41:19 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
On draft night they said his wingspan was 6'11", does anyone know what his actual wingspan is?
nbadraft.net says his wingspan is 6'11" too.
I'm assuming we measured this so would be cool to see an official number. 2 inches makes a big difference...that's what she said.

Draft Combine Wingspan of GW: 6'9.75", which rounds to 6'10" in my book!