Author Topic: Perk on Grant Williams: "He's a poor man's Draymond Green"  (Read 9722 times)

Perk on Grant Williams: "He's a poor man's Draymond Green"
« on: June 24, 2019, 02:13:36 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/celtics-first-round-pick-grant-williams-poor-mans-draymond-green

“On the defensive end, this guy, I coached him at the [pre-draft] combine, he literally can guard one [point guard] through five
,” Perkins said on ESPN’s The Jump. “He does it all. His shot has gotten better; he scores. He’s got a nice mid-range, he finishes around the rim, he’s very athletic. And he’s an under-rated shot blocker. He reminds me of a poor man’s Draymond Green.”

And while some might see it as being a bit early to compare him to such a proven talent as Green, the numbers put up by both coming into the NBA are pretty similar.

While Green came into the league with a significantly larger wingspan (7-feet, 1 1/4 inches compared to Williams’ 6-9 3/4 inches), the two are actually the same height (6-7 1/2) with a similar girth (Williams weighs 240.2 pounds, Green came in at 235.6).

They have an identical hand length of nine inches, with Williams having the wider hands (10.5 inches versus Green’s 9.5).

While the Green comparisons are nice, one of the biggest selling points when it comes to Williams is his high basketball I.Q.

Btw

« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 10:58:13 AM by Redz »

Re: Perk on Grant Williams: "he's a poor mans draymond green"
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2019, 02:31:52 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Poor man's Draymond? Defensively yes, but Grant Williams has a post game that Green can only dream of.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 02:44:06 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Williams is a much more polished scorer, but he's a worse passer and a worse defender. I think he has the tools to be an Al Horford like passer (not quite on Draymond's level) and a really strong defender though.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 03:47:35 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Williams is a much more polished scorer, but he's a worse passer and a worse defender. I think he has the tools to be an Al Horford like passer (not quite on Draymond's level) and a really strong defender though.

will yall just slam the breaks already. This guy was drafted after Romeo so if he is this good what can we expect from Romeo?

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2019, 03:53:52 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

will yall just slam the breaks already. This guy was drafted after Romeo so if he is this good what can we expect from Romeo?
In terms of immediate impact I would with confidence say Williams will be better. Langford has more potential because of age, athletic profile and general skill profile (scoring guard/wing vs undersized all-round swing), but I think Williams will be the better rookie.

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2019, 04:23:17 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

In terms of immediate impact I would with confidence say Williams will be better. Langford has more potential because of age, athletic profile and general skill profile (scoring guard/wing vs undersized all-round swing), but I think Williams will be the better rookie.
https://www.thestepien.com/2019/06/20/grant-williams-scouting-report/

Correct

TheStepian says Grant Williams worst case scenario is being a solid rotation player. They can't see any way he's a bust. This basically means he has a high floor

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2019, 04:28:58 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

https://www.thestepien.com/2019/06/20/grant-williams-scouting-report/

Correct

TheStepian says Grant Williams worst case scenario is being a solid rotation player. They can't see any way he's a bust. This basically means he has a high floor
Yeah, barring injury (and I don't know of any injury history) I think he'll be a really good solid player for a long time. I could see him having an A.C. Green type career (although without the weird All-Star appearance), but probably with less games.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z92_wOzqhtI
How can you not love him?

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2019, 06:36:59 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I hope he boxes out because he is going to need to with his 26" vertical.

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2019, 06:47:52 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Draymond is superior athletically I do believe.

Vastly.

But who knows. I expect a good bench player as a ceiling. Hope i am wrong. I want to like him more than that.

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2019, 06:53:19 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Vastly.

But who knows. I expect a good bench player as a ceiling. Hope i am wrong. I want to like him more than that.
Jeesh, that is a ridiculously harsh ceiling. I get that DA didn't take the guys you wanted, but man oh man

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2019, 07:02:33 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/celtics-first-round-pick-grant-williams-poor-mans-draymond-green

“On the defensive end, this guy, I coached him at the [pre-draft] combine, he literally can guard one [point guard] through five
,” Perkins said on ESPN’s The Jump. “He does it all. His shot has gotten better; he scores. He’s got a nice mid-range, he finishes around the rim, he’s very athletic. And he’s an under-rated shot blocker. He reminds me of a poor man’s Draymond Green.”

And while some might see it as being a bit early to compare him to such a proven talent as Green, the numbers put up by both coming into the NBA are pretty similar.

While Green came into the league with a significantly larger wingspan (7-feet, 1 1/4 inches compared to Williams’ 6-9 3/4 inches), the two are actually the same height (6-7 1/2) with a similar girth (Williams weighs 240.2 pounds, Green came in at 235.6).

They have an identical hand length of nine inches, with Williams having the wider hands (10.5 inches versus Green’s 9.5).

While the Green comparisons are nice, one of the biggest selling points when it comes to Williams is his high basketball I.Q.

Btw

Grants lane agility testing at combine was elite 10.83 2nd to BRANDON Clarke who is 30 lbs lighter since 2013-14 only 5 bigs have tested better.Marcus Smart tested 10.82
His standing reach 8-8.5 was a better measure for him than wingspan-Grant is with one inch of a large portion of capable defenders
 And his PE testing of strength was super super elite off the charts good and only 20
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 07:23:08 AM by rollie mass »

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2019, 07:03:58 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I'm expecting rookie Jae Crowder.

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2019, 07:43:47 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
On draft night they said his wingspan was 6'11", does anyone know what his actual wingspan is?
nbadraft.net says his wingspan is 6'11" too.
I'm assuming we measured this so would be cool to see an official number. 2 inches makes a big difference...that's what she said.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2019, 07:56:09 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Romeo has 6-11 wingspan

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2019, 08:07:43 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

Vastly.

Jeesh, that is a ridiculously harsh ceiling. I get that DA didn't take the guys you wanted, but man oh man

He's been like this for over a week now. I get things aren't going to plan. But I like to look eventually look for positives when things go south. And its not even that bad compare to some teams. DA has hit and miss in drafts. Most trades have been good. Cant always know the outcome of things when your taking chances.

I mean my wife lost her job and we're moving from Maine to Utah with out jobs. Who knows if its going to work out for the better. Can only rollthe dice and see what comes up.