Author Topic: Rolling the dice in 2011, 2012  (Read 1485 times)

Rolling the dice in 2011, 2012
« on: July 08, 2010, 11:18:03 PM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
With the Heat putting together three guys that should be elite for the next five years (barring Wade and Bosh injury concerns) - and their ability to add talent over the next couple of seasons until they have a nice overall roster, does it make more sense that Danny went for it all with a Pierce and Ray resigning?

Realistically winning during Rondo's peak probably means winning in 2011, 2012, or 2015. Nothing is in stone, and I'm not saying we should give up or anything like that, just being realistic about how good the heat are and should be from say 2012 - 2015. At that point I think Wade drops off, Lebron could leave for a better situation, and Bosh may have declined too. The argument to rebuild was to not waste Rondo's best years, but aren't we through the looking glass on that point now? I guess I'm glad to get the band back together for a last run or two.

Re: Rolling the dics in 2011, 2012
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 11:21:18 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Well, I think we have to try our best, because you never know what could happen.  This might blow up as Wade and James try to kill each other.  Or imagine what would've happened had most of the NBA took that position when the Magic got Tracy McGrady and Grant Hill?  That didn't work out too well for them. 

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 11:21:47 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Was wasting Rondo's best years really an issue? He isn't at that level.

The choices were (1) try to win it all again now, or (2) try to remain a playoff team for the next 5 years.

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 11:22:49 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Also, Brendan, you have to make decisions based on current information.

Re: Rolling the dice in 2011, 2012
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 11:25:37 PM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 1488
  • Open your eyes
Plus, don't forget that Wade is very injury prone. You never know, the opportunity might be out there and you don't want to miss it just because you weren't ready.
The Immortals:

Iker Casillas, Giacinto Facchetti, Alessandro Nesta, Matthias Sammer, Javier Zanetti, Lothar Matthäus (c), Xavi, Zico, Maradona, Roberto Baggio, Ferenc Puskas, Karl Heinz Rummenigge

Coach:Rinus Michels

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 11:30:07 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
And on a very dark note, imagine if the rest of the NBA decided to go into rebuilding mode when the C's got the #2 pick in the '86 NBA draft.  And I'm not just talking about Bias's death here.  But the entire NBA thought they were going to run the league for the next few years.  But not only did Bias die, Bird and McHale totally fell apart.  

So there are too many uncertainties out there to start second guessing ourselves.  

Plus, if the Lakers can feel good about their last two titles (which they arguably wouldn't have won had KG and Perk been healthy), I don't see why we couldn't feel good about winning #19 in 2012 if LeBron tears his ACL.  

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 11:34:01 PM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 70
And on a very dark note, imagine if the rest of the NBA decided to go into rebuilding mode when the C's got the #2 pick in the '86 NBA draft.  And I'm not just talking about Bias's death here.  But the entire NBA thought they were going to run the league for the next few years.  But not only did Bias die, Bird and McHale totally fell apart.  

So there are too many uncertainties out there to start second guessing ourselves.  

Plus, if the Lakers can feel good about their last two titles (which they arguably wouldn't have won had KG and Perk been healthy), I don't see why we couldn't feel good about winning #19 in 2012 if LeBron tears his ACL.  

If you really want to go the injury direction, look at Bosh's knee. He wears some sort of armor on it half the time.

And he's young.

Not a good sign.