Author Topic: Here's To Pierce!!! He is Unprecedented for This One!!!  (Read 15301 times)

Here's To Pierce!!! He is Unprecedented for This One!!!
« on: July 04, 2010, 03:56:17 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nba/columns/story?columnist=forsberg_chris&id=5353361

Cool story in general and not because I root for the C's. It is rare you see players take less money and give a team a hometown discount, but 20-30 million dollars is unheard of. I believe there were definitely a couple teams out there - Clippers, Nets, Mavericks in sign and trade, and maybe Knicks, Heat, or Bulls - that would have given Pierce a contract anywhere from 80 - 90 million over four years to show their fan bases they didn't come up empty handed. Easily it could have been argued the guy was Finals MVP and the best player in the playoffs in 2008. He was an All Star in 2009 and in 2010. Injuries hampered him last season  and he was still a guy who averaged nearly 19 points, 6 boards, and 4 assists in the playoffs taking on the three best teams record wise in the NBA. (Orl. Cle. and Lal.)

You could argue that making a guy like that the second option to a Wade, Rose, Amare, or Dirk is worth the investment or likewise putting him on a teams with Lopez, Harris, Favors, and another piece or Baron, Griffin, Kaman, and Gordon was worth it. I think Pierce could have easily gotten 15 million if not 20 - 30 million more dollars from another team. That will be money he now has no chance of getting with this new Celtic's deal. Lol talk about the cost of loyalty.

It is unheard of to see anyone turn down that kind of money, I mean these guys have a lot of money but they also live very elaborate and expensive life styles and that is why so many go broke. It is hard to live a certain life style like they do for fifty years when you only make a living for ten. Someday Pierce might regret this and I hope he doesn't but right now, today, it is cool to see a guy care about legacy, loyalty, and winning more than he does money.

I doubt we see another story like this one for a while.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

Re: Here's To Pierce!!! He is Unprecedented for This One!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 04:19:53 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Tommy Heinsohn
  • Tommy Points: 2721
too many people on here complaining about the contract. You have to give credit to Pierce, he said he would take less money to retire a celtic and he did. I have not seen any other player of his level do that in the NBA. Would it have been better for the celtics to not have the 4th year? Sure, but it won't kill rebuilding, and it would be crazy to ask Pierce to take less money and expect him to give up the 4th year. The point is to retire a celtic, if he gave up the 4th year he would probably be traded or tossed aside.

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 04:22:55 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nba/columns/story?columnist=forsberg_chris&id=5353361

Cool story in general and not because I root for the C's. It is rare you see players take less money and give a team a hometown discount, but 20-30 million dollars is unheard of. I believe there were definitely a couple teams out there - Clippers, Nets, Mavericks in sign and trade, and maybe Knicks, Heat, or Bulls - that would have given Pierce a contract anywhere from 80 - 90 million over four years to show their fan bases they didn't come up empty handed. Easily it could have been argued the guy was Finals MVP and the best player in the playoffs in 2008. He was an All Star in 2009 and in 2010. Injuries hampered him last season  and he was still a guy who averaged nearly 19 points, 6 boards, and 4 assists in the playoffs taking on the three best teams record wise in the NBA. (Orl. Cle. and Lal.)

You could argue that making a guy like that the second option to a Wade, Rose, Amare, or Dirk is worth the investment or likewise putting him on a teams with Lopez, Harris, Favors, and another piece or Baron, Griffin, Kaman, and Gordon was worth it. I think Pierce could have easily gotten 15 million if not 20 - 30 million more dollars from another team. That will be money he now has no chance of getting with this new Celtic's deal. Lol talk about the cost of loyalty.

It is unheard of to see anyone turn down that kind of money, I mean these guys have a lot of money but they also live very elaborate and expensive life styles and that is why so many go broke. It is hard to live a certain life style like they do for fifty years when you only make a living for ten. Someday Pierce might regret this and I hope he doesn't but right now, today, it is cool to see a guy care about legacy, loyalty, and winning more than he does money.

I doubt we see another story like this one for a while.

Jeff Schwartz, is that you?

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 04:51:31 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
You really think he took a 20-30 million dollar discount to stay here?  You think other teams would pay him over 20 million per year for 4 years when he is past his prime when a new CBA is coming?  I know there are some dumb GMs out there, but I disagree that he could have gotten 20-30 million more.  I think he maybe could have gotten 70 million and that would have been a bad signing for another team. 

I like the thought that his discount was loyalty to Boston, but its also possible he took it to remain on a contender also.  If I've made over $100 million over my career, and I had the choice of making 60 million on a contender or 70 million on a rebuilding team, I'd take the lesser money for the contender even if I had no loyalty to the team/city.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 05:01:27 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Tommy Heinsohn
You really think he took a 20-30 million dollar discount to stay here?  You think other teams would pay him over 20 million per year for 4 years when he is past his prime when a new CBA is coming?  I know there are some dumb GMs out there, but I disagree that he could have gotten 20-30 million more.  I think he maybe could have gotten 70 million and that would have been a bad signing for another team.  

I like the thought that his discount was loyalty to Boston, but its also possible he took it to remain on a contender also.  If I've made over $100 million over my career, and I had the choice of making 60 million on a contender or 70 million on a rebuilding team, I'd take the lesser money for the contender even if I had no loyalty to the team/city.

and the criticism for Pierce just keeps on coming. Of course he wouldn't get 80 million for 4 years, but he would easily get 70-72 million. Look at what Dirk is getting to stay in Dallas. It may not be 20 million, but 10-12 million is still a lot of money to give up, especially when it's the last NBA contract you will sign.  Also, what's with the shot at his celtics pride, saying he may have done it just to be on a contender? He is the one guy since the Bird era that has always displayed celtics pride throughout his career, and repeatedly mentions how important it is for him to cement his celtics legacy. He could have also had a chance to go to a team with one of the other big FA's and still be on a contender. If this was Kobe, we would here about it all over the place about how he took less money to help the lakers, but Pierce gets criticised by his own fans, just great.

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 05:01:56 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
too many people on here complaining about the contract. You have to give credit to Pierce, he said he would take less money to retire a celtic and he did. I have not seen any other player of his level do that in the NBA. Would it have been better for the celtics to not have the 4th year? Sure, but it won't kill rebuilding, and it would be crazy to ask Pierce to take less money and expect him to give up the 4th year. The point is to retire a celtic, if he gave up the 4th year he would probably be traded or tossed aside.

Yeah, this re-negotiation to free up money for this season is what we hoped for going into this season. I am honestly confused by any complaints. This is huge for us IMO.

Pierce took less money so we could make another run at a Title....

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 05:10:37 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 980
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Pierce has consistently said over the years that he would like to retire as a Celtic.  He understands that there is life beyond basketball.  It's not that he wouldn't love to have an extra $10-12M, but he knows he can continue to make a good living by leaving a strong legacy.  Red, Russell, Havlichek, Bird...

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010, 05:18:44 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2423
You really think he took a 20-30 million dollar discount to stay here?  You think other teams would pay him over 20 million per year for 4 years when he is past his prime when a new CBA is coming?  I know there are some dumb GMs out there, but I disagree that he could have gotten 20-30 million more.  I think he maybe could have gotten 70 million and that would have been a bad signing for another team. 

I like the thought that his discount was loyalty to Boston, but its also possible he took it to remain on a contender also.  If I've made over $100 million over my career, and I had the choice of making 60 million on a contender or 70 million on a rebuilding team, I'd take the lesser money for the contender even if I had no loyalty to the team/city.
It is unclear whether or not any team would have been willing to pay (but possible) Pierce $80+ million or $90+ million + it doesn't appear that Pierce engaged with any other teams so he didn't have a firm grasp of what they may offer him either.

It's too hard to say how much money Pierce sacrificed to stay here in Boston. I don't think he even knows (which is idiotic and the wrong way to run a negotiation).
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 07:15:35 PM by Who »

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2010, 05:21:29 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Tommy Heinsohn

Yeah, this re-negotiation to free up money for this season is what we hoped for going into this season. I am honestly confused by any complaints. This is huge for us IMO.

Pierce took less money so we could make another run at a Title....

I guess some people forget that this is real money this guys are negotiating with, and it does matter, just look at Pippen and Antoine Walker. Yea, 4 years of Pierce takes up some cap space into Rondo's future, but this deal also saves a bit of cap space, and most importantly, it saves Wyc and co. money so that they can actually afford to go after a few more guys for one last run. Don't forget that management has not hesitated to go into the luxury tax for this team. Yea these guys are rich, but this is big money we're talking about in a bad economy, it does matter. They don't have to spend millions to get a few bench players for a basketball team if they don't want to, Rondo and KG will still sell enough tickets anyway.

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2010, 05:27:47 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Just curious, but did you think, before they happened, that Johnson, Gooden, Gay, Salmons and the rest would get as much as they did? If you were trying to win a title in the next 1-3 years, would you rather have PP or Gay or JJ? I'd rather have PP.

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2010, 05:29:18 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
I don't think he even knows (which is idiotic and the wrong way to run a negotiation).

which is exactly why we can say that the impetus for this was at least in part to free up money for this season and another run at a Title...

Plus, we do know what Dirk got, so there is a sense of what the market was paying (by the way people think that Dirk at 80 mil took less than he could have gotten as well)...

Personally, I think there is no doubt that Paul signed a contract well below his market vaule...what the exact number is might be in question, but not the idea that he took less...

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2010, 05:31:34 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
You really think he took a 20-30 million dollar discount to stay here?  You think other teams would pay him over 20 million per year for 4 years when he is past his prime when a new CBA is coming?  I know there are some dumb GMs out there, but I disagree that he could have gotten 20-30 million more.  I think he maybe could have gotten 70 million and that would have been a bad signing for another team.  

I like the thought that his discount was loyalty to Boston, but its also possible he took it to remain on a contender also.  If I've made over $100 million over my career, and I had the choice of making 60 million on a contender or 70 million on a rebuilding team, I'd take the lesser money for the contender even if I had no loyalty to the team/city.

and the criticism for Pierce just keeps on coming. Of course he wouldn't get 80 million for 4 years, but he would easily get 70-72 million. Look at what Dirk is getting to stay in Dallas. It may not be 20 million, but 10-12 million is still a lot of money to give up, especially when it's the last NBA contract you will sign.  Also, what's with the shot at his celtics pride, saying he may have done it just to be on a contender? He is the one guy since the Bird era that has always displayed celtics pride throughout his career, and repeatedly mentions how important it is for him to cement his celtics legacy. He could have also had a chance to go to a team with one of the other big FA's and still be on a contender. If this was Kobe, we would here about it all over the place about how he took less money to help the lakers, but Pierce gets criticised by his own fans, just great.

I think you're right, he did leave money on the table--because the C's rightly wouldn't have signed him for what he could have  got on the open market.  People love Pierce and I don't hear anyone really criticizing him.  The angst is worry over whether the C's gave him a contract that we'll be regretting in a year or two.

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2010, 05:35:25 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas

I think you're right, he did leave money on the table--because the C's rightly wouldn't have signed him for what he could have  got on the open market.  People love Pierce and I don't hear anyone really criticizing him.  The angst is worry over whether the C's gave him a contract that we'll be regretting in a year or two.

Would those same people regret having to pay Paul 22 million for this season if he hadn't opted out and it meant not being able to add any talent to the roster or even re-sign Ray?

criticizing a below market value contract for a star player that also helps add talent to a team just doesn't make any sense to me...

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2010, 05:45:57 PM »

Offline Eeyore III

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 48

It is unclear (but possible) whether or not any team would have been willing to pay Pierce $80+ million or $90+ million + it doesn't appear that Pierce engaged with any other teams so he didn't have a firm grasp of what they may offer him either.

It's too hard to say how much money Pierce sacrificed to stay here in Boston. I don't think he even knows (which is idiotic and the wrong way to run a negotiation).

It isn't idiotic to prefer personal satisfaction/happiness to mere dollars.  In fact, as you--if you are lucky--win learn in about 75 more incarnations, it is idiotic not to.
"People don't understand, if you can't live the rest of your life off one year in the NBA, you can't live off 21." -- Keon Clark

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2010, 05:46:13 PM »

Offline Eeyore III

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 48

It is unclear (but possible) whether or not any team would have been willing to pay Pierce $80+ million or $90+ million + it doesn't appear that Pierce engaged with any other teams so he didn't have a firm grasp of what they may offer him either.

"People don't understand, if you can't live the rest of your life off one year in the NBA, you can't live off 21." -- Keon Clark