Author Topic: It's too early to talk draft but some positive observations  (Read 82782 times)

Re: It's too early to talk draft but some positive observations
« Reply #180 on: January 19, 2015, 09:21:18 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Caris Levert is a 6'7" junior wing for Michigan, who has the ball skills to sometimes play point.  He's a player who will be an effective 3-and-D guy to start his career, with the upside to become much more of a playmaker as he gains experience and adjusts to the speed/strength of the NBA.  He's been in the 10-15 range of most mocks/big boards all year, sometimes a few spots higher, rarely lower, but he just suffered a foot injury this Saturday and is now done for the year.  He should be recovered in about 3 months, so after the college season, but certainly in time for the draft combine.  Still, 2-3 lost months will probably cost him 5-10 spots as other players move past him, and he's now in play for our Clippers pick.  I've liked this guy for awhile and think he has Paul George upside as a playmaker. 

He's struggled a little at times this year as he had to take on such a large role at Michigan, both in terms of leadership and shot creation.  That team has no seniors and no inside game, as almost all of the minutes at the 4 and 5 go to freshmen.  Furthermore, the starting PG has been slowed all year by a toe injury, so it's been Levert's job to penetrate and create openings for others.  It hasn't always gone perfectly for him as he's carried such a load, but he's still done an admirable job, and leads the team in points, rebounds, assists, steals, blocks, and 3P%.  He's definitely a name to keep in mind for our second first rounder, especially since this is the last you'll hear of him until June.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Caris-LeVert-66377/
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 09:55:47 AM by saltlover »

« Reply #181 on: January 19, 2015, 10:11:17 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
Caris Levert is a 6'7" junior wing for Michigan, who has the ball skills to sometimes play point.  He's a player who will be an effective 3-and-D guy to start his career, with the upside to become much more of a playmaker as he gains experience and adjusts to the speed/strength of the NBA.  He's been in the 10-15 range of most mocks/big boards all year, sometimes a few spots higher, rarely lower, but he just suffered a foot injury this Saturday and is now done for the year.  He should be recovered in about 3 months, so after the college season, but certainly in time for the draft combine.  Still, 2-3 lost months will probably cost him 5-10 spots as other players move past him, and he's now in play for our Clippers pick.  I've liked this guy for awhile and think he has Paul George upside as a playmaker. 

He's struggled a little at times this year as he had to take on such a large role at Michigan, both in terms of leadership and shot creation.  That team has no seniors and no inside game, as almost all of the minutes at the 4 and 5 go to freshmen.  Furthermore, the starting PG has been slowed all year by a toe injury, so it's been Levert's job to penetrate and create openings for others.  It hasn't always gone perfectly for him as he's carried such a load, but he's still done an admirable job, and leads the team in points, rebounds, assists, steals, blocks, and 3P%.  He's definitely a name to keep in mind for our second first rounder, especially since this is the last you'll hear of him until June.

I agree especially if the Cs get a big man with their first pick LeVert is a guy to watch if his teams poor play and his injury hurt his stock.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #182 on: January 19, 2015, 10:30:03 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja

good catch SL. i was in michigan until recently and had heard of this kid. he future is hard to judge. he might be out of the nba, might be a rotation guy, might be a starter. you can see glimpses but nothing to guarantee his future. though, he does shoot pretty well from 3 point range and has good height for a shooting guard.

for anyone with more interest:

he seems to be a typical mid-teen pick. he might be pretty good. he might be nothing. if he drops to the twenties due to injury concerns (heck, even the second round!) ainge should think seriously about picking him.

ainge has a history of grabbing good guys late in the first round, and often they are guys who fell due to injury concerns. so this would fit ainge's modus operandi.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #183 on: January 19, 2015, 11:41:15 AM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
I went back and watched some tape of Levert and captured a few clips while I watched.  He's a good ball-handler, good passer with nice court vision.  Length makes him disruptive defensively.  Fairly good off the dribble, good form on his jumper.  Good, but not great athlete.  His team stunk - you could see him getting frustrated with all the dropped passes, missed layups, and boneheaded plays his teammates kept making.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Jp-JDZcSUg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSJxNDACM3I

« Reply #184 on: January 20, 2015, 04:16:47 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
I like LeVert but curious as to the details of this second injury to the same foot, and whether it figures to be a chronic problem. If we can't trade up from either ours or the Clipp's pick, maybe we can package our two low 30's picks and get him in the mid twenties if that's where he figures to fall.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 03:29:26 AM by Nerf DPOY »

« Reply #185 on: January 20, 2015, 04:29:52 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
It would be great if given the injury he fell to 33.  Though if we don't get a center
with the first two picks I wonder about Jaiteh at that spot.

« Reply #186 on: January 20, 2015, 04:49:28 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
It would be great if given the injury he fell to 33.  Though if we don't get a center
with the first two picks I wonder about Jaiteh at that spot.

He's a really good kid and hard worker.  I'd hate for him to fall out of the first round and guaranteed deals.  There are certainly kids who do less with more that I'd rather tumble out of the first.

« Reply #187 on: January 20, 2015, 09:00:20 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
Can't remember if it was this draft thread or another, but we were talking about how difficult it is to identify solid big men in the draft.  I went through the past few drafts and put a little analysis in a fanpost.  Shameless plug.   :P

http://www.celticsblog.com/2015/1/20/7863433/finding-the-next-star-big-man

« Reply #188 on: January 20, 2015, 10:02:36 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Can't remember if it was this draft thread or another, but we were talking about how difficult it is to identify solid big men in the draft.  I went through the past few drafts and put a little analysis in a fanpost.  Shameless plug.   :P

Nice article, TP.

Two things to add. One is that your analysis dovetails with others I've seen, in that it's really top 5 picks that give you anything close to a decent shot.

And second, you could probably divide your "star" category into "starter" and "All-Star." It doesn't feel right to have Greg Monroe and LaMarcus Aldridge in the same category.

« Reply #189 on: January 20, 2015, 10:09:59 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney

Nice article, TP.

Two things to add. One is that your analysis dovetails with others I've seen, in that it's really top 5 picks that give you anything close to a decent shot.

And second, you could probably divide your "star" category into "starter" and "All-Star." It doesn't feel right to have Greg Monroe and LaMarcus Aldridge in the same category.
Fair points.  I thought there were other more glaring examples, within role players e.g., where Valanciunus and Joel Freeland wind up in the same group.  Agree, it could use 1-2 more groups, but 3 is so easy to digest.

« Reply #190 on: January 23, 2015, 07:37:19 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
Some good games on last night. Russell looks better every game for Ohio St and S Johnson had another strong second half to get a win for Arizona. Also in the Arizona game Hollis -Jefferson had a great sequence on D where with clock running down in the first half he picked up super quick scoring PG Chase Randell at half court and 1 on 1 locked him down for prob 15 sec to run out the clock. Very impressive for a guy who is 6'7. The kid is going to be 6'7 TA and a steal in the mid first rd.

I also was very impressed with Junior Michael Qualls of Arkansas. Vs Alabama he had his highest scoring game of his career with 30pts in an OT game. What impressed me his his size (looked him up and measured 6'6 (in shoes) 198lbs with 6'11 wing ) and his elite vertical. For being a big explosive SG he also shoots the ball well 36% from 3 on 5 attempts per and 81% FT. He does definitely have holes in his game, he doesn't appear strong off the dribble. His defense also seems to need work, he appeared upright to often. With all that he looks really interesting for a prospect I havent seen listed in any mocks. I wouldn't peg him as a 1st round pick but should get some interest in the 2nd round.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #191 on: January 23, 2015, 08:03:03 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
Draft Express just wrote an updated article on Levert.  It's pretty fair to his strengths and weaknesses.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/NBA-Draft-Prospect-of-the-Week-Caris-LeVert-4804/

« Reply #192 on: January 23, 2015, 09:03:19 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
Draft Express just wrote an updated article on Levert.  It's pretty fair to his strengths and weaknesses.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/NBA-Draft-Prospect-of-the-Week-Caris-LeVert-4804/

I didn't realize he had another foot injury this past summer. That is a red flag and worries me. That being said he has a nice skill set and great size. I could see him as a draft day slider that DA targets.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #193 on: January 23, 2015, 09:34:18 AM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
If the C's have the chance to choose between Russell or Johnson who are you taking?  I like Johnson but a Russell / Smart backcourt is pretty fun to think about....

« Reply #194 on: January 23, 2015, 11:59:36 AM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
If the C's have the chance to choose between Russell or Johnson who are you taking?  I like Johnson but a Russell / Smart backcourt is pretty fun to think about....
I'm happy either way.  Johnson is a safer pick, IMO.