Author Topic: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)  (Read 377270 times)

Re: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)
« Reply #585 on: February 06, 2017, 08:27:24 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I mean the price of a back up big in the NBA right now is 15+ million dollars. I'm pretty sure Noel is worth that. I doubt anybody is going to go higher than 20, and I'd pay it. Hell be movable on that contract.

Team   2nd Center    2016 Contract
ATL   Muscala    1.0
BKN   Hamilton    3.0
BOS   Olynyk    3.1
CHA   M Plumlee    12.5
CHI   Felicio    0.5
CLE   Frye    7.8
DAL   Bogut    11.0
DEN   Nurkic    1.9
DET   Baynes    6.5
GSW   West    1.5
HOU   Nene    2.9
IND   Jefferson    10.2
LAC   Speights    1.4
LAL   Black    6.1
MEM   Davis    1.4
MIA   Reed    1.1
MIL   Henson    12.5
MIN   Aldrich    7.6
NOP   Asik    9.9
NYK   Hernangomez    1.6
OKC   Kanter    17.1
ORL   Biyombo    17.0
PHI   Okafor    4.8
PHX   Len    4.8
POR   Ezeli    7.4
SAC   Koufos    8.0
SAS   Dedmon    2.9
TOR   Nogueira    1.9
UTA   Withey    1.0
WAS   J Smith    5.0

Average       5.8
Median       4.8
older contracts though

With the new cba, they'll def go up a bit

They'll go up a little bit, but not that much.  $15 or so million is what a lot of teams are paying their top bench guy.  Sometimes that's a center, sometimes it's not.  Noel being paid like a top bench man isn't ridiculous, I guess, but let's describe what he's being paid as in such a situation more accurately.
a number of those players are still on their rookie contracts and West signed for the veteran minimum chasing a title.  Only like 3 signed under the current CBA and those are all much higher than average.

You kind of proved the opposite point with your West comment unwittingly. West is not worth more than a few million as a bench player at the end of his career. Maybe some other team would pay him a million more but nobody is paying West 15 million. That is fine though, teams fill their bench and backup players on cheap deals. That is why a lot of backup players are going to be rookie or aging vagabond vets on short deals. You could argue the Warriors backup center is actually mcghee, but he is also a near minimum player. You look at our backup bigs and it is Zeller and KO. Zeller signed 8 million in a bit of a gift to him on a year deal mainly for trade purposes. KO is still on a cheap deal, when he wants 17 million dollars if he is still seen as backing up Amir and Horford he will go on another team he can start or make less money. The idea that you just throw 15 million at bench players is absurd, especially when they are backing up a star that needs to be on the floor in crunch time and starting.
West is 100 years old (actually 36).  He isn't a typical back-up and neither are any of the players on a rookie deal.  That was the point I was making.  I'm not suggesting 15 million is a good price for a backup, but I am suggesting you can't include rookie deal player or players like West in your analysis because they aren't a Noel type player.  Plumlee, Biyombo, Jefferson, and Ezeli are the new order of back-up center.  Those guys average around 11 million.  It certainly isn't crazy to think that Noel would get a contract more in line with Biyombo than Ezeli.

Moranis, in case you've forgotten, the list of salaries was in response to this statement:

I mean the price of a back up big in the NBA right now is 15+ million dollars. I'm pretty sure Noel is worth that. I doubt anybody is going to go higher than 20, and I'd pay it. Hell be movable on that contract.

The point is that just because Biyombo and 1-2 others may make $15+ million as a backup big, most teams don't budget that much for the position.  Some use vets on minimum or room deals.  Some use guys on rookie contracts.  A few of the contracts are pre cap spike, but a majority aren't.

Noel may get in excess of $15 million per.  But to declare that such a sum is typical for a backup big is incorrect, and believing Noel to be movable on such a contract is optimistic.  He'll only be movable if a team taking on that deal sees him as a starter.

« Reply #586 on: February 06, 2017, 09:55:49 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1552

ATL   Muscala    1.0
BKN   Hamilton    3.0
BOS   Olynyk    3.1
CHA   M Plumlee    12.5
CHI   Felicio    0.5
CLE   Frye    7.8
DAL   Bogut    11.0
DEN   Nurkic    1.9
DET   Baynes    6.5
GSW   West    1.5
HOU   Nene    2.9
IND   Jefferson    10.2
LAC   Speights    1.4
LAL   Black    6.1
MEM   Davis    1.4
MIA   Reed    1.1
MIL   Henson    12.5
MIN   Aldrich    7.6
NOP   Asik    9.9
NYK   Hernangomez    1.6
OKC   Kanter    17.1
ORL   Biyombo    17.0
PHI   Okafor    4.8
PHX   Len    4.8
POR   Ezeli    7.4
SAC   Koufos    8.0
SAS   Dedmon    2.9
TOR   Nogueira    1.9
UTA   Withey    1.0
WAS   J Smith    5.0

Average       5.8
Median       4.8
older contracts though

They'll go up a little bit, but not that much.  $15 or so million is what a lot of teams are paying their top bench guy.  Sometimes that's a center, sometimes it's not.  Noel being paid like a top bench man isn't ridiculous, I guess, but let's describe what he's being paid as in such a situation more accurately.
a number of those players are still on their rookie contracts and West signed for the veteran minimum chasing a title.  Only like 3 signed under the current CBA and those are all much higher than average.

You kind of proved the opposite point with your West comment unwittingly. West is not worth more than a few million as a bench player at the end of his career. Maybe some other team would pay him a million more but nobody is paying West 15 million. That is fine though, teams fill their bench and backup players on cheap deals. That is why a lot of backup players are going to be rookie or aging vagabond vets on short deals. You could argue the Warriors backup center is actually mcghee, but he is also a near minimum player. You look at our backup bigs and it is Zeller and KO. Zeller signed 8 million in a bit of a gift to him on a year deal mainly for trade purposes. KO is still on a cheap deal, when he wants 17 million dollars if he is still seen as backing up Amir and Horford he will go on another team he can start or make less money. The idea that you just throw 15 million at bench players is absurd, especially when they are backing up a star that needs to be on the floor in crunch time and starting.
West is 100 years old (actually 36).  He isn't a typical back-up and neither are any of the players on a rookie deal.  That was the point I was making.  I'm not suggesting 15 million is a good price for a backup, but I am suggesting you can't include rookie deal player or players like West in your analysis because they aren't a Noel type player.  Plumlee, Biyombo, Jefferson, and Ezeli are the new order of back-up center.  Those guys average around 11 million.  It certainly isn't crazy to think that Noel would get a contract more in line with Biyombo than Ezeli.

Moranis, in case you've forgotten, the list of salaries was in response to this statement:

The point is that just because Biyombo and 1-2 others may make $15+ million as a backup big, most teams don't budget that much for the position.  Some use vets on minimum or room deals.  Some use guys on rookie contracts.  A few of the contracts are pre cap spike, but a majority aren't.

Noel may get in excess of $15 million per.  But to declare that such a sum is typical for a backup big is incorrect, and believing Noel to be movable on such a contract is optimistic.  He'll only be movable if a team taking on that deal sees him as a starter.
I just found the use of guys on rookie contracts to be disingenuous when talking about a guy that isn't on a rookie contract as some great salary divider, especially when all of those contracts are going to get a lot bigger with the new money at play.  That is why Biyombo, Plumlee, Ezeli, and Jefferson are far better gauges, since they all got new money contracts.  Now if you want to say that most teams just use a rookie contract guy or an aging veteran in that role, that is a fair point, but that was not how that list was being used.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #587 on: February 06, 2017, 10:39:26 AM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57
Okafor has no value because he's awful.

I suspect Nerlens has limited value because of the contract situation and the unlikely scenario in which the Sixers match.

« Reply #588 on: February 06, 2017, 10:45:05 AM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
I mean if you're position is to only use rookie contract type guys as back up Centers that's not unreasonable, but if you're signing one in FA?

I suspect 15 million is around the new norm, especially for a good one. Everyone really needs to re-adjust their perceptions of contract values. Evan Turner got 70 million dollars last summer.

« Reply #589 on: February 06, 2017, 11:06:48 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

ATL   Muscala    1.0
BKN   Hamilton    3.0
BOS   Olynyk    3.1
CHA   M Plumlee    12.5
CHI   Felicio    0.5
CLE   Frye    7.8
DAL   Bogut    11.0
DEN   Nurkic    1.9
DET   Baynes    6.5
GSW   West    1.5
HOU   Nene    2.9
IND   Jefferson    10.2
LAC   Speights    1.4
LAL   Black    6.1
MEM   Davis    1.4
MIA   Reed    1.1
MIL   Henson    12.5
MIN   Aldrich    7.6
NOP   Asik    9.9
NYK   Hernangomez    1.6
OKC   Kanter    17.1
ORL   Biyombo    17.0
PHI   Okafor    4.8
PHX   Len    4.8
POR   Ezeli    7.4
SAC   Koufos    8.0
SAS   Dedmon    2.9
TOR   Nogueira    1.9
UTA   Withey    1.0
WAS   J Smith    5.0

Average       5.8
Median       4.8
older contracts though

I just found the use of guys on rookie contracts to be disingenuous when talking about a guy that isn't on a rookie contract as some great salary divider, especially when all of those contracts are going to get a lot bigger with the new money at play.  That is why Biyombo, Plumlee, Ezeli, and Jefferson are far better gauges, since they all got new money contracts.  Now if you want to say that most teams just use a rookie contract guy or an aging veteran in that role, that is a fair point, but that was not how that list was being used.

The list is what it is. Teams fill the backup 5 position with cheap contracts. Not everyone is going to get a lot more money because of the new CBA. As it is, the 4 deals you cherrypicked aren't great indicators for Noel. The two long-term deals for Biyombo and Plumlee are albatrosses, the Ezeli deal isn't a long-term deal and Big Al got paid less than before.

ESPN had the following to say about the recent CHA trade for Plumlee (the underlined part is imnportant if you believe in the law of supply and demand)

...Plumlee will make $12.5 million a year through 2019-20, and it's quickly become evident (if it wasn't already) that he's worth nothing near that amount in a center-saturated league.

CHA got a D for its trouble. The Biyombo contract is viewed as immovable:

It has not taken long for buyers’ remorse to kick in. League sources told Sporting News that the Magic have picked up their attempts to move Ibaka ahead of next month’s trade deadline, eager to ensure that they come away with some return for a player who does not figure to be in Orlando long. Ibaka will be a free agent this summer. There is no chance of a Biyombo trade, not after the Magic paid him $70 million for four years this offseason.

I suspect smart GMs aren't looking at Plumlee or Biyombo as indicative of the market.

« Reply #590 on: February 06, 2017, 11:15:27 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

ATL   Muscala    1.0
BKN   Hamilton    3.0
BOS   Olynyk    3.1
CHA   M Plumlee    12.5
CHI   Felicio    0.5
CLE   Frye    7.8
DAL   Bogut    11.0
DEN   Nurkic    1.9
DET   Baynes    6.5
GSW   West    1.5
HOU   Nene    2.9
IND   Jefferson    10.2
LAC   Speights    1.4
LAL   Black    6.1
MEM   Davis    1.4
MIA   Reed    1.1
MIL   Henson    12.5
MIN   Aldrich    7.6
NOP   Asik    9.9
NYK   Hernangomez    1.6
OKC   Kanter    17.1
ORL   Biyombo    17.0
PHI   Okafor    4.8
PHX   Len    4.8
POR   Ezeli    7.4
SAC   Koufos    8.0
SAS   Dedmon    2.9
TOR   Nogueira    1.9
UTA   Withey    1.0
WAS   J Smith    5.0

Average       5.8
Median       4.8
older contracts though

The list is what it is. Teams fill the backup 5 position with cheap contracts. Not everyone is going to get a lot more money because of the new CBA. As it is, the 4 deals you cherrypicked aren't great indicators for Noel. The two long-term deals for Biyombo and Plumlee are albatrosses, the Ezeli deal isn't a long-term deal and Big Al got paid less than before.

ESPN had the following to say about the recent CHA trade for Plumlee (the underlined part is imnportant if you believe in the law of supply and demand)

...Plumlee will make $12.5 million a year through 2019-20, and it's quickly become evident (if it wasn't already) that he's worth nothing near that amount in a center-saturated league.

It has not taken long for buyers’ remorse to kick in. League sources told Sporting News that the Magic have picked up their attempts to move Ibaka ahead of next month’s trade deadline, eager to ensure that they come away with some return for a player who does not figure to be in Orlando long. Ibaka will be a free agent this summer. There is no chance of a Biyombo trade, not after the Magic paid him $70 million for four years this offseason.

I suspect smart GMs aren't looking at Plumlee or Biyombo as indicative of the market.
Sure as was Mozgov, Noah, and plenty of other contracts that people were analyzing under the old money system.  Of course you also had a guy like Speights that basically couldn't find work and signed real cheap.  And then Boston signs Zeller for 8 million to be what a 3rd string back-up center. 

I would be surprised if Noel didn't at least 15 million a year from some team, now granted that team would like be making that offer for Noel to start and not be a back-up which does make it a bit different, but Noel could easily end up in the Biyombo role on that new team anyway.

« Reply #591 on: February 06, 2017, 12:07:04 PM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
I was just reminded that the worst thing about Philly is the effect they have on others.

Somebody at a Knicks blog wrote that it was okay that Philly stunk for so long because they'll be elite "for a generation" with Embiid and Simmons.  But how many titles did OKC win with Durant and Westbrook?  In the best possible world where Embiid and Simmons become all NBA players and they get another superstar in the lottery this year, they'll really have not have a few years before the salary cap and luxury tax starts to cripple their ability to put a roster together.

Of all the problems with the Hinkie plan, one of the most overlooked is that almost all great teams are built with guys playing on contracts below their value.  Wade, LeBron and Bosh all took less than the max.  So did Pierce, KG and Ray.  Golden State could't have gotten Durant even with the cap increase if Curry wasn't on a bargain deal.  When they have to resign those two, they will have to lose Livingston, Iguodala and basically anyone who won't play for next to nothing in NBA terms.

Are Embiid and Simmons going to take less than the max?

Mike

Lol, we have the cleanest cap sheet in the NBA. You are grasping at straws as one by one the ill informed arguments you have made look less reasonable by the day.

Yes, you have to pay good players. I fail to see how this is a Sixers centric issue, they'll have team control over their top guys for years to come. They still have a ton of high picks.

« Reply #592 on: February 06, 2017, 02:49:18 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

ATL   Muscala    1.0
BKN   Hamilton    3.0
BOS   Olynyk    3.1
CHA   M Plumlee    12.5
CHI   Felicio    0.5
CLE   Frye    7.8
DAL   Bogut    11.0
DEN   Nurkic    1.9
DET   Baynes    6.5
GSW   West    1.5
HOU   Nene    2.9
IND   Jefferson    10.2
LAC   Speights    1.4
LAL   Black    6.1
MEM   Davis    1.4
MIA   Reed    1.1
MIL   Henson    12.5
MIN   Aldrich    7.6
NOP   Asik    9.9
NYK   Hernangomez    1.6
OKC   Kanter    17.1
ORL   Biyombo    17.0
PHI   Okafor    4.8
PHX   Len    4.8
POR   Ezeli    7.4
SAC   Koufos    8.0
SAS   Dedmon    2.9
TOR   Nogueira    1.9
UTA   Withey    1.0
WAS   J Smith    5.0

Average       5.8
Median       4.8
older contracts though

Sure as was Mozgov, Noah, and plenty of other contracts that people were analyzing under the old money system.  Of course you also had a guy like Speights that basically couldn't find work and signed real cheap.  And then Boston signs Zeller for 8 million to be what a 3rd string back-up center. 

I would be surprised if Noel didn't at least 15 million a year from some team, now granted that team would like be making that offer for Noel to start and not be a back-up which does make it a bit different, but Noel could easily end up in the Biyombo role on that new team anyway.

I don't think anyone disagrees that, barring Noel playing absolutely horrible the rest of the season or suffering another injury, a team like the Nets or Mavericks will pay him 18-20 million dollars to anchor their defense as their starting center and plan on playing him 32 minutes a year.

What people are contending is that for the 76ers (and a lot of teams that have a good starting center) Noel is not going to be worth that kind of money when he will play 20-22 minutes a night.

As other have pointed out lots of teams that have a good starting center fill the backup role with an aging vet on a cheaper deal or fill in with a cheap young player that is still developing.

Also, I think it is being a bit unrealistic to feel like the deals this summer really set the market for what backup or lower end big men will make. Mosgov, Noah and Bismack are already viewed as bad contracts and not movable unless they are attached to a sweetener for a salary dump.

I think this offseason we saw a lot worse contracts handed out then we will in subsequent offseasons. Similar to how a lot of people buy a frivolous thing or an overly fancy dinner on pay day, owners had a pocketful of cash and wanted to spend it just because we could. In that respect I am thankful that we have a GM in ainge that didn't get us attached to any crazy contracts.

To be sure guys are going to get paid a lot more across the board but bench players, especially not "6th starter" types are not going to make 15-20 million a year.

« Reply #593 on: February 06, 2017, 08:17:43 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
6th starter types under the last round of the CBA often made >50% of the max, which is exactly what 15 million is.  It isn't that much money when the 10 year max is over 30 million. 

« Reply #594 on: February 06, 2017, 08:20:31 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
6th starter types under the last round of the CBA often made >50% of the max, which is exactly what 15 million is.  It isn't that much money when the 10 year max is over 30 million.

You are either misunderstanding what I said or I said it incorrectly (I used a double negative so it was confusing). I was trying to say unless a guy is like a 6th starter he is not going to make 15 million. I could see someone playing Louis Williams or prime Jamal Crawford that kind of money. If it is a backup center that can't play other positions behind a star player than it is not worth doing. That was my point.

« Reply #595 on: February 11, 2017, 06:47:21 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Colangelo has confirmed that Ben Simmons has had limited participation in practice and they expect him to play this year.  They expect to see Embiid and Simmons playing together this season, but are being cautious with both their injuries.

« Reply #596 on: February 11, 2017, 07:31:43 PM »

Online Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
Looks like Embiid has a torn meniscus in his left knee.

https://twitter.com/DerekBodnerNBA/status/830564619232145408

« Reply #597 on: February 11, 2017, 07:42:18 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

The basketball gods are angry.

The Seventy Stinkers played by the rules but were dishonorable.

« Reply #598 on: February 11, 2017, 07:45:11 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Their whole rebuild hinges on Embiid. Torn MCL isn't the worst thing but for a guy with his size and injury concerns, this not good news.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #599 on: February 11, 2017, 08:00:41 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

Their whole rebuild hinges on Embiid. Torn MCL isn't the worst thing but for a guy with his size and injury concerns, this not good news.

That organization has a weird vibe.

Heard that he was at a concert in Philly last night DANCING on the stage. Plus, I think he was diagnosed with an MRI on the 20th, and then he played in the Houston game (I think) after that and then not much if at all since.

You're right, a meniscus tear isn't the end of the world, and I hope for Embiid's sake, it isn't. No tears for Philly or their fans, though.