Author Topic: The Problems with Brad Stevens  (Read 9880 times)

Re: The Problems with Brad Stevens
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2015, 03:32:55 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Phil Pressey is no longer even a consideration despite providing useful, if not stellar minutes, in the past, particularly last season.

This complaint alone illustrates OP probably doesn't know what he is talking about.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2015, 03:38:02 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Mean. Correct, but mean.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2015, 03:47:49 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Stevens will be gone within 1-2 years as Danny Ainge is going to need a scapegoat a coach that actually knows how to handle an NBA team
Here, fixed that for you.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2015, 04:05:24 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Stevens has had over 30 players the last year and a half to work into a system. So rotations will be all over the place. He's better this year than last year, thats for sure, and isn't that what we are looking for? Not just with players, but coaches as well?

I've like what he's done with Smart,AB and Young. Were Smart goes out first and then comes back in with Young to play a stint.

We also have a crap roster. We don't have a good SF on the team and have to play TE in the spot. Young is too small right now for that spot full time. And now the rotations are messed up with KO and Sully out.

He has guys playing hard and well on the most part every night. Very rarely have they been blown out in games the last couple years. Thats impressive giving what he's been working with for a roster. So maybe his rotations aren't that bad if they are staying competitive in just about every game. And I'm sure he will get better, just like he did from last year to this year and fix some of these rotation issues.

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2015, 04:23:13 PM »

Offline CelticnLA

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 10
I'm ok with Stephens in general. The one area I however have issue with is his use of timeouts. I know that last night's game against the LA was a game of runs. To me it just seemed that Stephens would allow the team to go through a couple of bad offensive and defensive possessions and momentum would switch to LA. Lin scored six points in one stretch while repeatedly getting into the lane, and the C's couldn't figure out how to defend it, but Stephens never called a timeout.

Now I know the C's got back into the game, but they should have never had to fight back from a 10 point deficit (or whatever it grew to). It was one thing for Doc not to call timeouts and let Rondo, Pierce, KG and Allen figure it out (I had issues with that as well), it's another thing all together to allow this roster, as presently constructed, be expected to figure it out on the fly without putting in jeopardy an opportunity to win.
"Young man, you have the question backwards."

-- Bill Russell, after a reporter asked him how he would have fared against Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2015, 04:28:35 PM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
I'm going to cut the guy some slack. Every other week guys are getting hurt, traded or signed. The fact they've won as many games as they have is a testament that Stephens is getting the most out of the lack of talent that he has to work with. I'd guess the line up will be a little more stable come next year.

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2015, 04:30:42 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
I hate coaches who are quick to call timeouts.  I tend to think momentum is an over-rated concept that is leaned upon by people who don't undertstand statistical variance.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2015, 05:03:09 PM »

Offline Celts_Fan

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 6
I am the original poster.
I appreciate most of the responses, and the feedback regarding Stevens. I also appreciate the views of most of the members of this board, and thank you for sharing them. I doesn't bother me that some or even most don't agree, but I appreciate the forum to share ideas.
I will tell all that I followed basketball for over 30 years. I have seen a number of teams, and coaches, I have also read dozens of books on basketball and the history of the Boston Celtics.

In one of those books, a player once stated that Red Auerbach was worth between 3 and 4 points per game because he harassed, bullied, and worked the refs. I believe the player. While it might not be as relevant now, I still feel strongly that someone like Doc Rivers is a far better coach, with the ability to work the refs and get them to call a fairer game, then Brad Stevens ever will.
In the 4th quarter of last nights game against the Lakers, the officials might of well have peeled off their officials jerseys and revealed their Kobe Bryant / Lakers jerseys. The defense played against Isaiah Thomas in the second half was extreme yet he got no calls for him and several against him, including the ridiculous technicals. With Isaiah in the game last night, we probably win. I believe Stevens was shocked with the call, but then sold Thomas out to the media, making comments about showing restraint. Way to have the players back.

You could argue that I'm "old school", that I think the old ways are better, and the current NBA coaches don't have to be as tough as Auerbach and Heinsohn were, but if I was in an NBA Foxhole, or wanted a coach to have my back, (which to me is part of their job), I'll take them and their styles every time.

I'd like to thank MSCeltic for the respectful disagreement, I appreciate it.

And to "loosecanon" and "d.o.s." I will only state that when Rondo was out last year Phil Pressey provided valuable minutes to help fill in gaps while our other guards, (an admittedly thin area last year), rested. Yes, I don't think he'll have a spot next year, and I don't think he'll be in the NBA. Yes, with Thomas, Smart, and Bradley and Turner if needed, there isn't a real need for him anymore, but I was making a point. Too often Stevens completely forgets people on his bench exist, Wallace, Young and Pressey all fit the bill.
So before you label me as not knowing what I'm talking about, please try to put the one sentence in the context it was meant to be placed in.

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2015, 05:04:52 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Stevens has gotten all his players to give maximum effort and overachieve

This is all you need to know how good a coach is.

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2015, 05:07:08 PM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
As great as coach as Red was, he couldn't get away with half of the stuff he did back in the day. Different league, different times. Red would lighting up a cigar on the bench before the game was even over.

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2015, 05:21:42 PM »

Offline Celts_Fan

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 6
I would also take issue with Stevens getting the "most out of his players". Stevens has created an offense that allows his players to take 3 point shots by the bucket load. To me, this isn't an ingredient for a successful team. It's limited Jared Sullingers development, at least to me. A three point offense is simple to run, and those who live by the 3, die by the 3.
Granted he doesn't have a great roster, and it has been changing regularly, but playing defense is something that does not seem to be anywhere on Stevens list, but left more to the individual, (thanks to Smart, Bradley, and Wallace and others like Pressey last season).  :P

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2015, 05:22:25 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
You said a lot of things that could be contested, but I am only going to make a few points.
1. You complained about his rotations, but there have been a lot of trades this year, and Stevens is good and building repore between players, but you can only do so much when players are constantly getting traded or when some players don't want to be there at all.
2. You complained about the rotations, but maybe Stevens is trying to train form a more well-rounded team (something his college teams were known for). Maybe he wants other players to be better defenders, or better scorers. Maybe he is giving them a chance to develop on the court. As a matter of fact, Bradley has developed into a better offensive player because of the chances and confidence Stevens offers. Sully has learned to make more defensive plays. Smart is currently learning figure out ways to score the ball even when he is cold. You look at that as a weakness, but I look at that like great coaching, instilling confidence in his players, and giving them opportunities to flourish and perform. He has be willing to let them fail if he wants them to succeed, especially as this young team is developing.
3. You complained that he doesn't 'work the refs,' but to every coach works the refs, and I love the fact that he doesn't. It shows composure and respect. After time, the refs might value that and his few words directed towards them might carry more weight, rather than being white noise.
4. You said, "It’s fortunate that the Celtics players don’t act or adopt Stevens persona, can you imagine 12 catatonic players who just stare vacantly while chewing a fingernail when a call doesn’t go their way." I think they have adopted his persona. They are respectful to the officials and the game. They play hard and play smart. They play the game the right way on both ends of the court. They fight to stay in games that they could have been blown out in.

I think you are dead wrong about Stevens. I would like to see a few different wrinkles in their offense and defense, but overall, I think he has been great at player development, has represented the Celtics organization well, has instilled a great scheme, and has built a winning culture.
Nailed it. Has one player traded had an issue with him. "No" He has developed AB, Zeller, Sully and KO. Young should have played in DLeague as well. He is a Great young coach and he and DA will win us another Banner for sure.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2015, 05:37:11 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
Phil Pressey is no longer even a consideration despite providing useful, if not stellar minutes, in the past, particularly last season.

This complaint alone illustrates OP probably doesn't know what he is talking about.

That post added a lot to the conversation.  The OP submitted a 800,000 word essay to express his opinion and the best you can do is to fiing an insult because there was 1 line that you disagreed with??   
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2015, 05:38:24 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Stevens should thank Ainge for netting him Thomas, because if given enough minutes, IT will mask Brad S's inability to call any sort of functional plays.

That is ridiculous

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2015, 05:39:34 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

That post added a lot to the conversation.  The OP submitted a 800,000 word essay to express his opinion and the best you can do is to fiing an insult because there was 1 line that you disagreed with??   

A complete response would be significantly more caustic.