Author Topic: 'Danny Ainge got away with murder'  (Read 13760 times)

Re: 'Danny Ainge got away with murder'
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2013, 10:49:30 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1557
Charles Barkley also said:
- Brad Stevens for now is his #1 candidate for Coach of the Year
- He clearly mentioned Jabari Parker to be the #1 draftpick.

Everyone knows Charles is always right... NOT!

I think we won the trade too but losing PP in any fashion is not a win.

Pierce didn't want to stay for a rebuild. He's the guy who talked KG into the deal.

Really? I always thought it was the other way around. I thought KG wanted to go but would only go if Pierce went with.

I don't feel like looking for the quote but KG said PP talked to him for about an hour trying to convince him to go. So, it was PP.
neither one really wanted to go, but Pierce knew if not Brooklyn he'd get traded somewhere else and that place wouldn't have had KG so he talked KG into accepting the trade to Brooklyn so they could stay together.

Pierce has said repeatedly that he wasn't up for another rebuild.
not interested in another rebuild doesn't mean he wanted to leave Boston and he had no control over whether he stayed.  Pierce was going to be traded, since LA was out he say Brooklyn with KG as his best option and convinced KG to go with him.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2013, 10:58:19 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
right before and right after we won that ring
we were in rebuild mode

we had all the tools to do it again
but not the money

« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2013, 11:05:41 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Hump with the honestly the best game I have ever seen him play.

« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2013, 11:09:26 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Honestly, I wouldn't have been surprised if Ainge really got away with LITERAL murder.

This man is so slick.

« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2013, 11:15:44 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2973
KG can't play a whole game like Hump put in tonight......KG is nearly my all time fav. ,  but he looks so thin, weak, slow, and just disinterested in the whole Nets mess........

Danny fleeced the Nets.

I hate the walk up court , plodding , slow ,  old guys ......Ah the Nets basketball

Losing sucks ...but at least this team is young and it's fun to watch

« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2013, 11:25:36 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
just wanted to go on record and say that was probably Hump's best game in the NBA

« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2013, 11:43:46 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
KG can't play a whole game like Hump put in tonight......KG is nearly my all time fav. ,  but he looks so thin, weak, slow, and just disinterested in the whole Nets mess........

Danny fleeced the Nets.

I hate the walk up court , plodding , slow ,  old guys ......Ah the Nets basketball

Losing sucks ...but at least this team is young and it's fun to watch
They may be young, but in the fourth quarter,  they walked up court, plodding and playing the clock!  I like watching them, too, but think if the Nuggets had been on their game, Celts would have lost in the fourth quarter.  The injury and loss of Ty Lawson didn't hurt the Celtics, either.  (That doesn't mean I don't love that they were able to hang on for the win...it was a very good win!)
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2013, 11:47:45 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
I wonder what the situation would be right now---if Danny had gotten his Original deal with the Clippers...Doc/KG to LA--for Jordan---and Pierce bought out, to sign with LA.

We wouldn't have those Nets Picks, but Jordan would be our Center...no Humphries and Wallace....I think we got the better of the 2 deals by default. Doc is probably happy too---the way KG and PP look.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2013, 12:18:35 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Charles Barkley also said:
- Brad Stevens for now is his #1 candidate for Coach of the Year
- He clearly mentioned Jabari Parker to be the #1 draftpick.

Everyone knows Charles is always right... NOT!

I think we won the trade too but losing PP in any fashion is not a win.

Pierce didn't want to stay for a rebuild. He's the guy who talked KG into the deal.

Really? I always thought it was the other way around. I thought KG wanted to go but would only go if Pierce went with.

I don't feel like looking for the quote but KG said PP talked to him for about an hour trying to convince him to go. So, it was PP.
neither one really wanted to go, but Pierce knew if not Brooklyn he'd get traded somewhere else and that place wouldn't have had KG so he talked KG into accepting the trade to Brooklyn so they could stay together.

Pierce has said repeatedly that he wasn't up for another rebuild.
not interested in another rebuild doesn't mean he wanted to leave Boston and he had no control over whether he stayed.  Pierce was going to be traded, since LA was out he say Brooklyn with KG as his best option and convinced KG to go with him.

He could have killed any trade he wanted to by threatening to retire. He had at least some control over his future.

« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2013, 01:02:50 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Quote from: foulweatherfan
Eh, I was really unhappy about taking Wallace's deal on top of moving KG/PP - it's the worst post-CBA deal in the league[/quote

Hmm...I don't know about that.

How much have Chicago paid Derek Rose over the past two seasons, only to have him sit on the bench and whine like a baby?

By the time Rose plays another game and looks even close to as good as he once was, the Bulls will probably have lost most of their top players (Noah, Deng, Boozer) and will probably be garbage again.

Plus Derek Rose always was the most overrated 'superstar' in the league.

« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2013, 01:18:50 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I thought at the time that Ainge got the maximum he could have gotten for Pierce and Garnett and that people like Bill Simmons were being too whiny about Wallace's contract.

Eh, I was really unhappy about taking Wallace's deal on top of moving KG/PP - it's the worst post-CBA deal in the league and it felt like an extra slap in the face that we had to take it on top of sending out 2 HOFers and not getting any real prospects back.  It took a couple weeks of thinking about the implications to make peace with it. 

The 3.5 first rounders, on the other hand, always seemed like ridiculously good value, especially since Ainge wasn't even really selling high after the way 2013 petered out.

You weren't ever getting any real prospects back.  You're getting Marshon Brooks types who have problems cracking the rotation on a playoff team.

Pierce is a one-year rental and KG has a decent chance of retiring and ending up as a one-year rental.  A first-round pick for each is actually pretty good value. 

That means everything else in the deal is basically compensation for taking on Wallace's contract.  Except, it's more like compensation for swapping Wallace's contract for Terry's.  People seem to ignore the value of dumping Terry's deal in evaluating the trade.

1.  Wallace deal could be worse.  Even though he hasn't done much on the stat sheet, I think he's been a really great glue guy (a Shane Battier type) who's work ethic, energy and tough-guy attitude seems to have rubbed off on to the rest of the team.  On the court he's a good decision maker, a better passer than I thought, a good defender, and a hustle guy who wins out a lot of 50/50 plays.  Yes we're overpaying him, but could do much worse (think: Amare).

2. Brooks is no big deal because even if he doesn't play more than 5 minutes in a single game, I'm pretty sure his contract expires after this season.  So he's basically a 24 year old scorer with some upside and a $2.8M or so expiring contract...can't really lose on that.

3. Bogans is a good locker room guy and a $5M expiring contract

4. Humphries has been playing exceptionally well for us and is actually one of my favorite players on this team. Every night he hustles hard on both ends of the floor, and sucks up rebounds like a vacuum cleaner.  It's getting to the point where his play has made me almost as happy as the $12M expiring contract attached to him.

5. A total of three (3) first-round picks from a team which now looks like it's going to be stuck in the lottery for years to come.  This year was supposed to be a one-year window.  Next year Brooklyn would already be in a position where KG would almost certain to retire, Pierce would likely leave as a free agent, and Terry would probbly either retire or contribute very little.  Yet despite all this they would still have no cap space (they have about $55M invested in Deron, JJ and Lopez) and no draft picks. That means it's going to take YEARS before Brooklyn can put a team out there that is actually competitive. Boston could easilly work out getting 2-3 high lottery picks out of thistrade.

So put that all together and look at what we got.  About $20M in expiring contracts, three future first round picks (with potential to be lottery), and the only bad part we took back was Wallace's contract which was half offset by the fact that we offloaded Terry's $5M deal.

The biggest pieces in this deal are the draft picks and Hump.  Hump has good trade value as an expiring contract even if he has zero court presence.  If he keeps playing the way he has so far his value as a trade asset is going to be exceptional. 

Then on top of all this, Danny pulled off three other great offseason moves by:
1. Trading up for Olynyk (who looks like he's going to be a nice player)
2. Signing Pressey for pretty much nothing
3. Putting one of the top division rivals out of business for years

Danny should definately be right up there for GM of the year right now.

« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2013, 02:33:00 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
just wanted to go on record and say that was probably Hump's best game in the NBA

Forget the Kardashian garbage, and pay attention to what the dude has done. Humphries is a solid NBA player and has put up solid numbers anytime he's gotten minutes. People need to stop acting like this dude is some scrub when he's one of the best bigs we've had in a few years.

« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2013, 03:20:02 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2495
@ crimson_stallion
great post...
let's also not forget that ainge picked up jordan crawford off what was basically the scrap heap last year.
really an amazing 12 months or so... c's picked up 4 first-round picks, with the right to swap a 5th with the nets in 2017 (which is looking likely right now).
and i think the layers we got back in the nets trade are, believe it or not, better than the ones we sent out, at least at this point in their respective careers.
redrum... REDRUM, REDRUM!!!

« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2013, 06:19:14 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
The expirings they took back are about a wash with what they had with PP and KG. Given that KG is so likely to retire for a combined total over $25M from them.

It will be interesting to see whether Danny ends up using the trade exception.

But what IMO is hugely valuable with Danny's willingness to move on is that he upgraded from Doc to Stevens as the coach. Stevens is just starting to figure out what he can do coaching on this level and already I've little doubt but that Doc wouldn't be have this team playing as well as it is starting to. The Stevens/Ron Adams combination is gold.

« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2013, 07:38:33 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2973
Kudos to Hump......that was a serious effort he gave .