Author Topic: Doc's decisions down the stretch (split)  (Read 10509 times)

Re: Doc's decisions down the stretch (split)
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2009, 08:07:07 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Ah, so what if Rondo gets the inbounds up one, bricks two FTs - he's done it before - and then Chicago hits a runner at the end to win it?

Easy to second-guess what doesn't work.

Paul was faked out on that play. Casnt blam him because who didnt think gordon was going to shoot as soon as he caught it?

Fouling is a situational thing. The Bulls have been pulling shots out of their ass' all series, why give them another shot at it. YOu foul and still have the lead. Make just on efree throw and at worst it ot.

If you look at that play again, as I have, you'll find that Pierce - inexplicably - took a step toward Gordon for no apparent reason, rather than following him as he was supposed to do. Not sure what part of that play constitutes a "fake." Pierce read the play wrong. It happens.

And the next time the situation comes up, I wouldn't foul anyway. Pressure can often dictate who you inbound the basketball to, and I don't ever want Rondo or Baby at the line in that situation. We've seen already in this series what relying on an automatic foul shot gets us - beaten.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2009, 08:07:44 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 662
  • MASTER OF PANIC
they did give it away..that is why it bothers me so much....it seems like the refs were always siding on the side of the bulls...the miller foul.....the pierce steal...just blatant

« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2009, 08:16:24 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 595
Ah, so what if Rondo gets the inbounds up one, bricks two FTs - he's done it before - and then Chicago hits a runner at the end to win it?

Easy to second-guess what doesn't work.

Paul was faked out on that play. Casnt blam him because who didnt think gordon was going to shoot as soon as he caught it?

Fouling is a situational thing. The Bulls have been pulling shots out of their ass' all series, why give them another shot at it. YOu foul and still have the lead. Make just on efree throw and at worst it ot.

If you look at that play again, as I have, you'll find that Pierce - inexplicably - took a step toward Gordon for no apparent reason, rather than following him as he was supposed to do. Not sure what part of that play constitutes a "fake." Pierce read the play wrong. It happens.

And the next time the situation comes up, I wouldn't foul anyway. Pressure can often dictate who you inbound the basketball to, and I don't ever want Rondo or Baby at the line in that situation. We've seen already in this series what relying on an automatic foul shot gets us - beaten.

Yes but he thought that gordon was going to launch it as soon as he caught the ball. Hell I thought the same. Pierce guessed wrong and payed, but if PP doesnt take that step gordon has the space to make the shot anyways. PP actally forced him to take  a tougher shot by stepping into him.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2009, 08:19:25 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
Just looks to me like he read the play wrong and got caught out of position. He's a good defender and nine times out of 10 he'd be in front of Gordon, who clearly doesn't shoot as well under duress.

I still wouldn't foul. Never have in that situation before, and I never will unless I find myself with five deadeye foul shooters on the floor. And at my level, if you have that, you're not in an end-game situation anyway.

« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2009, 08:19:36 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 595
If you can t have faith in those guys hitting ft at the end of a game then they shouldnt be in their. Many team will crowed the three line to force a two, isnt that the same as fouling? You are giving away tow points either way. For me this isnt monday morning qbing either, I was praying that they were going to foul as soon as the ball came into play.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2009, 08:20:49 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
If you are consistent you have to be OK with Doc's decisions. A lot of people were looking for Doc to put TA in. Nobody expected TA to allow Gordon to blow right by him (can't blame Doc). A lot of people complain about Moore, so you can't complain when he puts Scal in (OK Scal on Salmons was not pretty). And besides, sure looked to me like Pierce was trying to foul Gordon before his three. Doc had some really good in bounds plays that kept the team in the game.

Should Rondo have passed to Ray coming off the pick - probably; but looked like pierce was out of position (expecting a shot) and was in no position to get anything off. Hard to see how that is on Doc. The iso's w/ Hinrich seems like a good idea, but Pierce looked clueless (must have been hampered in his mobility).

« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2009, 08:23:34 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
Don't know who you'd put on the floor to be absolutely certain you can make fouls. Can't be totally certain with an exhausted Pierce.

I didn't want them to foul previous, and the shot doesn't change my mind. You're playing the percentages, and I like the defensive option all day over an off-ball foul, for example, that I couldn't control. I'd rather have someone tie me from behind the arc then potentially turn the ballgame over to erratic foul shooters like Rondo and Baby, and to a lesser extent the Captain.

« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2009, 08:24:26 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
Got to love Perk's foul calls (not on Doc).

« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2009, 08:25:23 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
If you are consistent you have to be OK with Doc's decisions. A lot of people were looking for Doc to put TA in. Nobody expected TA to allow Gordon to blow right by him (can't blame Doc). A lot of people complain about Moore, so you can't complain when he puts Scal in (OK Scal on Salmons was not pretty). And besides, sure looked to me like Pierce was trying to foul Gordon before his three. Doc had some really good in bounds plays that kept the team in the game.

Should Rondo have passed to Ray coming off the pick - probably; but looked like pierce was out of position (expecting a shot) and was in no position to get anything off. Hard to see how that is on Doc. The iso's w/ Hinrich seems like a good idea, but Pierce looked clueless (must have been hampered in his mobility).

When you watch that play again, it looks like Pierce takes one step toward Gordon - to foul him perhaps? - and then freezes.

Gotta know before the ball is inbounded exactly what you want to do. You either run at him and foul him, or you stay in front of him, which given Gordon's angle wasn't asking a lot.

« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2009, 08:28:20 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
Did anyone catche ray getting pulled down by heinrich after the ft at the end of regualtion? He was pulled from behind. DOnt understand how that isnt caught. But then again if a player hits the side of a guy while in position its not a charge either. Stern got his way. A series with an up and comming team going the distance with the champs. That chump of a commissioner wants the NBA to be a live soap opera.

We gave it away, but I dont know what is more blatant with it officiating, the wwe or nba.

If that play was the other way around and it was called this whole board would be out of its mind right now.  You don't decide a great playoff game by making that call with .1 seconds left.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2009, 09:01:13 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • MASTER OF PANIC
doc just said boston was supposed to foul he said we always foul but didnt get it done

« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2009, 09:02:28 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • MASTER OF PANIC
and PP took responsibility for not covering gordon coming off the flare...