Author Topic: Sorry, but Bibby was right (kind of)  (Read 22166 times)

Re: Sorry, but Bibby was right (kind of)
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2008, 01:14:10 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
I don't believe the point is whether he was right or not.  The bottom line is what happens on the court and why anyone would care what Mike 'I was kind of good in 2002' Bibby thinks about Boston is actually the suprising part.  That and Boston fans actually siding with his stupidity.  Although that's probably more case of younger C fans having no tie to great Celtic teams of the past. 

Every team has bandwagon fans well except Atlanta.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2008, 01:18:36 PM »

Offline SShoreFan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 200

Atlanta is the worst sports town with multiple teams in the US.
Take the Braves.  They couldn't sell out playoff games.   
The Falcons only sold when Vick was there.

By the way, anyone claiming the Garden was sold out the other night is kidding themselves.  There were at least 10 luxury boxes pitch black, with empty seats scattered all about (there were four seats empty in my row in the balcony)

You can't count luxury boxes.  They are just so expensive. 

You have to count luxury boxes and club seats, they are a major part of revenue.  I can guarantee that luxury boxes at Fenway and suites at Gillette are sold out come playoff time.
I cannot begin to tell you how much I love my kids - call me a sap, it's true.

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2008, 01:32:04 PM »

Offline casCELTIC

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 3
  • Cassell, I am - Huevos, I use.

By the way, anyone claiming the Garden was sold out the other night is kidding themselves.  There were at least 10 luxury boxes pitch black, with empty seats scattered all about (there were four seats empty in my row in the balcony)

You have to count luxury boxes and club seats, they are a major part of revenue.  I can guarantee that luxury boxes at Fenway and suites at Gillette are sold out come playoff time.

"sold out" means the tickets were sold.  it doesn't mean people who had the tickets attended.

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2008, 01:33:45 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

i went to a pats playoff game last year and i can tell you from being there that all the suites don't have people in them. I'd say 1/5th were empty.

But, that doesnt mean they didn't sell. it means they A) went to a scalper. B) were booked for a corprate function and it didn't happen. C) were reserved by managment for late VIP's, or something came up last minute and the person couldn't show.

Same can be said for the few empty seats at the garden. There's empty seats at fenway all the time if you look. doesn't mean they didn't sell, it means that something happened. mabey the person couldn't make it that day after all, or a scalper bought them and couldn't move them at 400 a pop.

Regardless, that ticket sold, and to the club, thats a sellout.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2008, 01:41:06 PM »

Offline SShoreFan

• Jaylen Brown

i went to a pats playoff game last year and i can tell you from being there that all the suites don't have people in them. I'd say 1/5th were empty.

But, that doesnt mean they didn't sell. it means they A) went to a scalper. B) were booked for a corprate function and it didn't happen. C) were reserved by managment for late VIP's, or something came up last minute and the person couldn't show.

Same can be said for the few empty seats at the garden. There's empty seats at fenway all the time if you look. doesn't mean they didn't sell, it means that something happened. mabey the person couldn't make it that day after all, or a scalper bought them and couldn't move them at 400 a pop.

Yes, but the celts are pushing the boxes on tv meaning that they are not sold out.

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2008, 01:48:12 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Yes, but the celts are pushing the boxes on tv meaning that they are not sold out.

Well, now that the Bruins are done, it will be much easier.

Boxes are for corporations.  Seats are for fans. 

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2008, 01:52:02 PM »

Offline SShoreFan

• Jaylen Brown

Well, now that the Bruins are done, it will be much easier.

Boxes are for corporations.  Seats are for fans. 

agreed...........although, I would love to be a guest in one of those boxes...free Sam Adams and all the popcorn you can eat....any corporations out there looking to fill your box with polite, yet enthusiastic Celts fans please drop me an email!!   ;D

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2008, 01:56:59 PM »

Offline DannyZ

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
The Celtics did pretty well attendance wise last year.  I have to say, our crowds were pretty good considering we had the second worst team in the league.

And if fans wear bags on their heads, it means they are paying attention and passionate.  I can't say the same about Atlanta.  They haven't made the playoffs in ages before this season and did anyone in the city notice?

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2008, 02:06:18 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
The view from those boxes isn't exactly ideal either.
Yup

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2008, 02:10:12 PM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71

That just gave me a great idea- why don't we put together some $ at the blog and bid for a box for the playoffs?  That would be so nice.
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2008, 02:25:00 PM »

Offline Section 87

• NCE
  • Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 56
Bibby's being misquoted. He did not call us fair-weather fans. He clearly called us "farewell" fans. Further evidence that he doesn't know what he's talking about. Watch the clip if you can find it. He said "farewell." He deserves all the heckling he can take.

And, by the way, there's no free Sam Adams in the luxury boxes.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 02:48:04 PM by Section 87 »

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2008, 02:25:58 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
Bibby's right about fair weather fans, but let's not forget who plays for, the Hawks and previously the crumbling Kings, not too many fans are going to choose those two teams to come watch play the Celtics, now or in the past years.

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2008, 02:53:19 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
Like school on Saturday, Mike Bibby has no class.  My freshman year at Emory, one of my frat brothers, a fan of Bibby's from his Arizona days, saw the visiting Bibby at a Buckhead club.  He bought Bibby a bottle of Moet and just told him that he enjoyed watching him play for Arizona and thought he was a great player.  When he turned around to leave, Bibby says to his entourage and a couple of teammates, "Mother... thinks he can buy me a bottle of champagne and be my friend." 

When my big big big bro in the frat, who benchpresses about 375 pounds, told Bibby to apologize and when he wouldn't he pressed Bibby to fight.  Of course Bibby wanted no piece and had his 6'8'' teammate get in between them.  Given this brief yet telling experience with Mike "Mother Theresa" Bibby, I'm not at all surprised by his latest childish and arrogant outburst. 
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2008, 03:11:22 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
The Celtics did pretty well attendance wise last year.  I have to say, our crowds were pretty good considering we had the second worst team in the league.

That's my thought.  We had a terrible team, our superstar player missed half the season, we play in a crappy stadium, in a saturated sports market, and the Celts still sold around 16,500 tickets per game, putting them around 20th in the NBA.  That's not bad for a team that was intentionally losing games at the end of the season.  From memory, our sports broadcasts also did fairly well, and of course, the Celtics have more team-dedicated blogs than any team in basketball (including this one, which is one of the most popular -- if not the most popular -- team-dedicated basketball websites in the blogosphere.  Fans here care.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2008, 03:18:12 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126

That's my thought.  We had a terrible team, our superstar player missed half the season, we play in a crappy stadium, in a saturated sports market, and the Celts still sold around 16,500 tickets per game, putting them around 20th in the NBA.  That's not bad for a team that was intentionally losing games at the end of the season.  From memory, our sports broadcasts also did fairly well, and of course, the Celtics have more team-dedicated blogs than any team in basketball (including this one, which is one of the most popular -- if not the most popular -- team-dedicated basketball websites in the blogosphere.  Fans here care.

perfectly said hobbsy!

bibby is an idiot, who opened his mouth after playing pathetically in game 1.  atl's whole logic for acquiring him was to give the club a veteran presence with valuable playoff experience.  hows that working for them, lol.