Poll

If they kept block stats, would Russell have averaged a triple double for his career?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Would Bill Russell have averaged a triple double for his career if...  (Read 3178 times)

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Do you think that Bill Russell would've averaged a triple double for his career if they had kept block shot stats? From some accounts I've read if was pretty close to 10 a game in quite a few games. There is also not a lot of game film of Russell but it is a fact that he dominated on the defensive end. He also averaged 22.5 rebounds for his career and 15 points.

Re: Would Bill Russell have averaged a triple double for his career if...
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 09:57:12 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Absolutely not. The highest ever average for a single year was about 5.5. He'd have to average almost double that for his entire career.

They were only about 5 years removed from his career when they started keeping that stat and the high that year was about 4.85. 

Maybe he could have averaged 6 ....maybe. That would still be completely remarkable. It would mean averaging for a career more than anyone ever averaged for a year.

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 09:57:12 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
I'm reading an account now that says maybe he averaged 6-8 a game so maybe not triple double. They also didn't keep steal records back then.

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 09:59:38 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Absolutely not. The highest ever average for a single year was about 5.5. He'd have to average almost double that for his entire career.

They were only about 5 years removed from his career when they started keeping that stat and the high that year was about 4.85. 

Maybe he could have averaged 6 ....maybe. That would still be completely remarkable. It would mean averaging for a career more than anyone ever averaged for a year.

"Sports Illustrated story by Frank Deford in which he recounts that in that game Wilt blocked 23 shots!!" Russell and Wilt where so far above everyone they played with as athletic freaks...

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 10:09:01 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

"Sports Illustrated story by Frank Deford in which he recounts that in that game Wilt blocked 23 shots!!" Russell and Wilt where so far above everyone they played with as athletic freaks...
It just doesn't make sense. Wilt retired one year before the stat was kept. Only a couple years later guys like Kareem and Bill Walton were averaging 3 or 4. It's just too big a difference in too short a time. It's like saying by going back just 6 years or something Kareem could double or triple his blocks. I'm not buying it. There was less talent then but it was more concentrated.

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 10:15:20 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

It just doesn't make sense. Wilt retired one year before the stat was kept. Only a couple years later guys like Kareem and Bill Walton were averaging 3 or 4. It's just too big a difference in too short a time. It's like saying by going back just 6 years or something Kareem could double or triple his blocks. I'm not buying it. There was less talent then but it was more concentrated.

Wilt averaged 30 and 22 and averaged 50 points  game one season. Russ averaged 22 rebounds a game as well the closest modern player is Drummond with a 13 rebound average...

Kareem 11 rebounds averaged and Bill Walton 10...

I am not saying that Russell average 10 blocks a game but it's crazy to think about...

It's also the Allstar layoff...
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 10:20:30 PM by liam »

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 10:26:37 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Lots of unathletic big men back then. Most had no skills other than being big. Fights were not uncommon because all the unathletic big men could do was take shots within 5 feet and muscle people. Most outside shooters were set shot shooters. A once or twice in a generation athletes could easily average 10 block shots a game during that era.

And eja, your argument about bigger men in a more athletic era with better athletes and different outside shooting doesn't hold water. Those stats that occurred 5-6 years after Russell retired were still a decade and more after Russell was in his prime. The game changes a lot in 10-15 years. Just look at how different the game is now as compared to the early 2000's. The three point shot wasn't close to being the weapon it is now and in the post big men are now dinosaurs. Game changes. So do stats.

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2018, 07:18:30 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Averaging 10 per game probably isn’t realistic, but it wouldn’t surprise me if he had dozens of games with 10+ blocks in his career.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2018, 08:03:43 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I think Russell (and Chamberlain) would have had a season or maybe seasons where they averaged double digit blocks but not a whole career. I think 7-8 bpg over their career.

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2018, 08:08:00 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
There is no way he would have done it for his career, maybe a season though.  Wilt was probably more likely to do it though, both because of his size but also because of his ego. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2018, 09:54:01 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Averaging 10 per game probably isn’t realistic, but it wouldn’t surprise me if he had dozens of games with 10+ blocks in his career.

I agree with this.

I remember once I made a comment about Ibaka having 3 10+ block games in the same month and ended up having BBallTim argue with me for a full 5 pages about how Russell and Wilt did so on a routine basis.

I say anywhere from 5-8 per game is a high estimate for 1 season.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2018, 10:20:14 AM »

Offline OHCeltic

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
Just ask Russell. He would have a better idea what Wilt and himself did.  Ask before to late.

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2018, 11:34:40 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

I agree with this.

I remember once I made a comment about Ibaka having 3 10+ block games in the same month and ended up having BBallTim argue with me for a full 5 pages about how Russell and Wilt did so on a routine basis.

I say anywhere from 5-8 per game is a high estimate for 1 season.
I thought he only argued about Rondo.  I was kind of hoping that he would post on the IT/Rondo ejections.