Author Topic: If available, why not just go after Kawhi instead of Lebron?  (Read 2824 times)

Re: If available, why not just go after Kawhi instead of Lebron?
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2018, 05:30:32 PM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
I'm a big fan of keeping the team as-is for now. If we can trade up in the draft using Rozier and get a young big that's cool, but not entirely necessary.

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2018, 05:33:24 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Unless ne of those is absolutely just DYING to play for Boston   willing to jump thougj hoops , I d soon just keep Smart and Baynes and do it again .

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2018, 05:36:56 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
Obviously Lebron is the best player in the league right now, hands down. But a healthy Kawhi Leonard is definitely Top-5 in the league and somewhere in the 3-4 range (depending on how you rank them in order between Kawhi and Davis).

People talk about the possibility of bringing in Lebron, but it's just complicated because we have no cap space and he's obviously not playing for MLE. Also, acquiring Lebron likely means a current max-player leaves and possibly a few more young players (and picks).

Meanwhile, Kawhi is scheduled to make 20M next year and while it would still take some players to help match salaries, it definitely wouldn't be as complicated is it would for Lebron, and likely wouldn't require trading away a current max player for him.

Kawhi is also the best "Lebron stopper" in the world and is proven in the playoffs too. Ainge knows superstars win in this league, and hypothetically adding Kawhi would mean we have a superstar and possibly two to three more emerging ones (Kyrie, Brown and/or Tatum - depending on exactly what the Kawhi trade is). It would also be a strategic move to keep him out of PHI/LAL, but also would sort of mitigate the effect of Lebron going to Philly (if we bring in Kawhi and bring back healthy Kyrie + Hayward).

Again, I said "if available", as I expect Kawhi and the Spurs sort it out and he stays put, but I just think if Kawhi does become available, Ainge will pounce or at least make an offer of sorts for him. Of course, we have to also assume his health checks out going forward.

Kawhi is not Lebron (no one is), but he's Top-5 in the league and if we're talking about adding another versatile, lengthy wing player, then it's probably wiser to go after Kawhi. It wouldn't mess up the current core as much as a Lebron sign and trade would, and adding Kawhi for sure should make us favorites to win it all next year (or 2nd best odds but right there with Golden State). Along with Kyrie, the Kawhi presents a huge mismatch problem for Golden State if we're talking a Finals appearance.

Disagree that Lebron is hands down the best player in the league. If he was this year, it was by a slim margin and I think there is no way he is better than Davis next season, and probably not Durant either. He is going to be 34 and already doesn't play defense 85% of the game.

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2018, 05:40:17 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
I would trade Brown* and the Kings pick plus whatever other contracts it'd take. Leonard is a one man wrecking machine, we'd have the best defense by far and one of the best offenses, clear favorite in the East.

*Getting owned on drives by Korver of all defenders has me second-guessing his talent.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 05:50:26 PM by Dino Pitino »
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2018, 05:42:15 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
p.s. I hope to god the Sixers aren't asking themselves this question.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2018, 06:27:49 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2959
  • On To Banner 18!
Easier to sign LeBron vs trade for Leonard that's why you want LeBron.

Riiight. Because clearly Lebron is willing to sign here for the MLE. Otherwise I have no clue what you mean by "easier to SIGN Lebron than..."
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2018, 06:37:34 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

Riiight. Because clearly Lebron is willing to sign here for the MLE. Otherwise I have no clue what you mean by "easier to SIGN Lebron than..."
Come on now, team can move any big contract player on its roster for cap space and picks then have the $ to sign Lebron. Leonard would take a big contract plus picks or another player. Leonard = more cost.

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2018, 06:54:16 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Trade for Kawhi; what a novel idea.

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2018, 07:04:18 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
1. Because Lebron is way better than Kawhi
2. Because Lebron would be cheaper to get (since he's a FA and Leonard is not)
3. See points 1. and 2.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2018, 07:06:20 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

He could opt in for his last season and then get traded, or get sign-and-traded. Neither requires us sending much back (except salary) because Cleveland's other choice is p---ing of Lebron (and his fans) and losing him for nothing
I'm bitter.

« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2018, 07:47:49 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2959
  • On To Banner 18!

He could opt in for his last season and then get traded, or get sign-and-traded. Neither requires us sending much back (except salary) because Cleveland's other choice is p---ing of Lebron (and his fans) and losing him for nothing

And what's the salary? A max contract? 2 max contracts? Quite a lot still.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2018, 08:51:50 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Is it June 21st yet?

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2018, 09:10:38 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Not That I would want to do it, but it would be kinda funny to trade Irving for Lebron....

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2018, 10:16:25 PM »

Offline CelticsQuestFor18

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
What a novel concept... I wonder why we haven't talked about this before...

Oh please. I've seen way more of the same repetitive threads on here the past month on other topics too.

« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2018, 10:20:50 PM »

Offline CelticsQuestFor18

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
Unless ne of those is absolutely just DYING to play for Boston   willing to jump thougj hoops , I d soon just keep Smart and Baynes and do it again .

I wouldn't mind doing nothing either (besides bringing back some guys)

Just think if he's available, C's should certainly look hard into acquiring Kawhi since the odds of doing a S&T of sorts for Lebron are really low, and also I'm not a fan of the idea of trading two current max players for picks and cap relief just to get Lebron. Also means Smart is gone and probably a few other players too.