Author Topic: NBA Season 2016-2017  (Read 354447 times)

Re: NBA Season 2016-2017
« Reply #585 on: November 27, 2016, 02:29:05 AM »

Offline CroCorvus

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
How many Spurs wins this season will be due to great play of Davis Bertans?

Only one. Versus Boston. smh 

Go Celtics!

« Reply #586 on: November 27, 2016, 05:21:10 PM »

Offline letsgoblue86

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Philly almost took down Cleveland today, Embiid is looking pretty good.

Would be interesting to see Philly if they cashed in some chips near the deadline for some proven players.

« Reply #587 on: November 27, 2016, 05:21:57 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Would be interesting to see Philly if they cashed in some chips near the deadline for some proven players.

Wouldn't really make any sense considering they still need to wait a year for Simmons to fully recover, before making any trades.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #588 on: November 27, 2016, 06:04:42 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
Okafor had perhaps his best game of the season. Will be interesting to see if he can get going after struggling most of the season, particularly on the boards. Noel will be back in about 3 weeks to compete for backup minutes.

« Reply #589 on: November 27, 2016, 06:35:52 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Okafor had perhaps his best game of the season. Will be interesting to see if he can get going after struggling most of the season, particularly on the boards. Noel will be back in about 3 weeks to compete for backup minutes.
He doesn't even turn 21 until next month.  He still could improve a lot.

Clay, what do you think the chances are that Philly uses their swap rights with the Kings this year?   It sounds ridiculous on the surface, but the Kings only have a couple more wins than them right now and if Cousins gets moved at the deadline, that Kings team is going to SUCK.  Meanwhile, despite all the naysayers, Philly has actually looked like a fairly competent team lately.  They had won 3 in a row at home, lost in double-overtime to the Grizz and just lost to the Cavs by 4 points all with Embiid on a 24 minute restriction, Okafor still working his way back to health, and both Noel and Simmons sitting out.    Philly might be a disaster this year, but there's also the chance that mid-january they start going on a run.  Forget about Simmons and just note that with Embiid off the minutes restriction, that team will likely be significantly more competitive than it is right now.   I don't think it's unthinkable that Philly finishes with more wins than the Kings.

« Reply #590 on: November 27, 2016, 06:40:55 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Wouldn't really make any sense considering they still need to wait a year for Simmons to fully recover, before making any trades.
People still project Simmons to come back in January, but we'll see.   He's hinted he'll be back before the all-star break.   But we gotta assume he'll be on a minute restriction as well.

It'll also be interesting to see what they get for Noel.  You gotta figure barring injury, they will trade Noel before the deadline.   December 15th is the date to watch.  That's when a lot of guys can finally be traded.  I find it interesting that the team seems to project Noels' return from elective surgery to be 3 weeks from now.... that's December 15th.   I don't know if it's realistic at this point, but for a long time I felt that Noel for Jordan Clarkson made sense for both teams.  Clarkson can't be moved until December 15th.   

I'm just not sure what Philly's needs are at this point.  It's easy to imagine them going hard after someone like Brandon Knight, but do they really want a ball-controlling PG?  Does that make sense for them?   With Simmons likely controlling the ball and the team having a really good shot at a PG-loaded lotto talent like Fultz, it seems their greatest need would be someone who can play off the ball and hit shots efficiently. 

« Reply #591 on: November 27, 2016, 08:09:02 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Clay, what do you think the chances are that Philly uses their swap rights with the Kings this year?   It sounds ridiculous on the surface, but the Kings only have a couple more wins than them right now and if Cousins gets moved at the deadline, that Kings team is going to SUCK.  Meanwhile, despite all the naysayers, Philly has actually looked like a fairly competent team lately.  They had won 3 in a row at home, lost in double-overtime to the Grizz and just lost to the Cavs by 4 points all with Embiid on a 24 minute restriction, Okafor still working his way back to health, and both Noel and Simmons sitting out.    Philly might be a disaster this year, but there's also the chance that mid-january they start going on a run.  Forget about Simmons and just note that with Embiid off the minutes restriction, that team will likely be significantly more competitive than it is right now.   I don't think it's unthinkable that Philly finishes with more wins than the Kings.

I wouldn't say it unthinkable but it seems pretty unlikely because the bottom of the west is so bad. The east really seems to have philly and nets a level lower than other teams. The mavs, lakers, pelicans, nuggets, , Suns etc all seem like teams that are as along with the kings. That makes it seem doubtful they will feel the need to unload their franchise player in the middle of the season when a small run against bead teams gets them to playoffs. The same reason I think the lakers have a small chance at playoffs is same reason I think the kings do also.

« Reply #592 on: November 27, 2016, 08:14:50 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

It's very unlikely to happen before the lottery, but if Sacremento stays bad, Philly could have a great chance at winning the lottery
I'm bitter.

« Reply #593 on: November 27, 2016, 08:21:11 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

People still project Simmons to come back in January, but we'll see.   He's hinted he'll be back before the all-star break.   But we gotta assume he'll be on a minute restriction as well.

It'll also be interesting to see what they get for Noel.  You gotta figure barring injury, they will trade Noel before the deadline.   December 15th is the date to watch.  That's when a lot of guys can finally be traded.  I find it interesting that the team seems to project Noels' return from elective surgery to be 3 weeks from now.... that's December 15th.   I don't know if it's realistic at this point, but for a long time I felt that Noel for Jordan Clarkson made sense for both teams.  Clarkson can't be moved until December 15th.   

I'm just not sure what Philly's needs are at this point.  It's easy to imagine them going hard after someone like Brandon Knight, but do they really want a ball-controlling PG?  Does that make sense for them?   With Simmons likely controlling the ball and the team having a really good shot at a PG-loaded lotto talent like Fultz, it seems their greatest need would be someone who can play off the ball and hit shots efficiently.

i've actually seen this idea bounced around on r/nba a few times before. i always assume the Lakers easily say no. But most fans in those threads seem to think that LA would happily take that offer, and might even have to add extra pieces to make it happen.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #594 on: November 27, 2016, 08:22:54 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

It's very unlikely to happen before the lottery, but if Sacremento stays bad, Philly could have a great chance at winning the lottery

Yeah this part is true. They could definitely move up in the lottery. The kings already have 7 wins and have not played a ton of games against the nuggets, Suns, 76ers, mavs, philly, lakers, pelicans etc

« Reply #595 on: November 27, 2016, 08:23:40 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
Even sans cousins that Kings team still has Koufos, Gay, Collison, Afflalo, Lawson, Mclemore, Barnes. They'll also no doubt get players back in a cousins deal.

Theres enough there to get them some wins and not have them worse than a philly or brooklyn imo.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #596 on: November 27, 2016, 08:23:46 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

i've actually seen this idea bounced around on r/nba a few times before. i always assume the Lakers easily say no. But most fans in those threads seem to think that LA would happily take that offer, and might even have to add extra pieces to make it happen.

I don't think Noel gets traded without seeing the court and proving his health.

« Reply #597 on: November 27, 2016, 08:30:37 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321

Just out of curiosity, why does it seem that most of your posts in this thread (and others) concern the 76ers, which is just one of the 29 teams not named the Boston Celtics?

« Reply #598 on: November 27, 2016, 08:42:02 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Just out of curiosity, why does it seem that most of your posts in this thread (and others) concern the 76ers, which is just one of the 29 teams not named the Boston Celtics?
he does post an update on embiid just about every game. He is an exciting player

« Reply #599 on: November 27, 2016, 09:12:24 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404

He thinks its en vogue to be a contrarian on this board. Whilst a lot on here think Philly are abhorrent disgrace to the game of basketball he will vocalize his full support of them deliberately assuming the position of pondscum at the bottom of the standings for 5+ years to accumulate talent and them watch them all get mid-foot injuries.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?