Author Topic: Jaylen Brown looks like a 2-way star  (Read 38356 times)

Re: Jaylen Brown looks like a 2-way star
« Reply #135 on: December 22, 2019, 05:21:55 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Brown has been superb this year.  He has taken a real leap.  Hopefully he sustains his increased 2 point percentage and it isn't just a 26 game blip as that has really driven his increased efficiency.  His new found aggressiveness is definitely a good sign though.  That usually isn't something that can go through hot or cold streaks.  That has led to increase in rebounding and passing and to a lesser extent his increased 2 point shooting by getting him better shots.  His outside shooting and foul shooting have been fairly consistent through his career as are many of other his other rates (steal percentage, block percentage, turnover percentage, even his USG has only moderately ticked up, etc.).  The aggressiveness is key.  He has to keep the aggressiveness up.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #136 on: December 22, 2019, 05:31:39 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Brown has been superb this year.  He has taken a real leap.  Hopefully he sustains his increased 2 point percentage and it isn't just a 26 game blip as that has really driven his increased efficiency.  His new found aggressiveness is definitely a good sign though.  That usually isn't something that can go through hot or cold streaks.  That has led to increase in rebounding and passing and to a lesser extent his increased 2 point shooting by getting him better shots.  His outside shooting and foul shooting have been fairly consistent through his career as are many of other his other rates (steal percentage, block percentage, turnover percentage, even his USG has only moderately ticked up, etc.).  The aggressiveness is key.  He has to keep the aggressiveness up.

His foul shooting percentage is up about 10 points. That’s significant.

« Reply #137 on: December 22, 2019, 08:07:14 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

His foul shooting percentage is up about 10 points. That’s significant.
yeah I looked at wrong number.  Hopefully it isn't a 26 game blip.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #138 on: December 24, 2019, 06:01:25 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
I really enjoy watching him play. He is impressive in just about every sense:

- he isn't phased by mistakes, which are rare
- he looks physically imposing
- he finishes in the traffic at the rim, much improved with about 70% conversion rate in the restricted area
- he shoots threes confidently, he is great at corner ones but will raise up above the break 
- free throws are falling more consistently
- his passing has matured, he even throws a wow pass every 5-6 games. Something I didn't see from him before
- his defense is truly respectable. Folks usually don't like, fast, long and strong dudes breathing their faces
- when he talks it is smart, respectful and it doesn't sound fake
- he can co-exist with other successful players, he doesn't give me the impression that it diminishes him or his chances
- he only wore green as a pro

Feel free to expand.

All-star this year.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 06:09:52 AM by Androslav »
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #139 on: December 24, 2019, 07:36:43 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

- he finishes in the traffic at the rim, much improved with about 70% conversion rate in the restricted area
- he shoots threes confidently, he is great at corner ones but will raise up above the break 
- his passing has matured, he even throws a wow pass every 5-6 games. Something I didn't see from him before
- his defense is truly respectable. Folks usually don't like, fast, long and strong dudes breathing their faces
- he can co-exist with other successful players, he doesn't give me the impression that it diminishes him or his chances

Feel free to expand.

All-star this year.

His strength and body control combined with speed, and improved moves and use of the glass from lots of different approaches have given him a ton of layups.  Really impressive.  Having two guys like that in he and Kemba opens up a world of possibilities. 
Yup

« Reply #140 on: December 24, 2019, 09:06:19 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

Feel free to expand.

All-star this year.

Nailed it. TP!

Merry Christmas!

« Reply #141 on: December 24, 2019, 03:59:49 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164

Feel free to expand.

All-star this year.

His strength and body control combined with speed, and improved moves and use of the glass from lots of different approaches have given him a ton of layups.  Really impressive.  Having two guys like that in he and Kemba opens up a world of possibilities.

He’s a brilliant ballhandler. The sheer number of fakes, foot combinations, and hesis defies listing. He creates like a jazz musician.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #142 on: December 24, 2019, 04:53:05 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Feel free to expand.

All-star this year.

He’s a brilliant ballhandler. The sheer number of fakes, foot combinations, and hesis defies listing. He creates like a jazz musician.
Went from a somewhat weak aspect of his game to a massive strength. Testament to how hard he works
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #143 on: December 24, 2019, 08:28:20 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164

Feel free to expand.

All-star this year.

He’s a brilliant ballhandler. The sheer number of fakes, foot combinations, and hesitations defies listing. He creates like a jazz musician.
Went from a somewhat weak aspect of his game to a massive strength. Testament to how hard he works

People talk about his athleticism, and rightly. But he’s in a small group at the top for fine motor skills. Combine that with his exceptional work ethic and his dedication to winning, and you’ve really got something.

Love that he got the deal done, making Danny Ainge’s job easier this year.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 08:33:44 PM by Hoopvortex »
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #144 on: December 25, 2019, 06:36:48 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Guy has been insane

« Reply #145 on: December 25, 2019, 06:42:58 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
Ringer article after game refers to Brown as “borderline” all star.

Hasn’t he earned right to remove “borderline” from his description?? Or am I being a homer?

« Reply #146 on: December 25, 2019, 07:15:18 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286

Feel free to expand.

All-star this year.

Writes poetry, speaks five languages, captain of the chess club.

A real Renaissance man

« Reply #147 on: December 25, 2019, 07:43:55 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
CBS Sports singing Jaylen's praises.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-christmas-day-2019-jaylen-browns-explosion-shows-why-this-season-is-different-for-him-and-the-celtics/

A snippet:

On the broadcast, color analyst Richard Jefferson joked that Brown deserves more than the four-year, $115 contract extension he signed just before the start of the regular season. The way the 23-year-old has played, though, that number genuinely looks like a bargain. Through 25 games, Brown is averaging 20.2 points, 7.0 rebounds and 2.4 assists with a 60 percent true shooting percentage. He also happens to be a big wing who can defend multiple positions, the most coveted archetype in the modern NBA.

Had Brown not come to an agreement with Boston in October, he would surely be in line for a max contract. As it stands, he has a good chance of making the All-Star Game. His ball-handling, footwork and passing have all improved noticeably, and unlike last season, the Celtics have created an environment in which he can show all his skills. It's as if he picked up where he left off at the end of their remarkable run in the 2018 playoffs, only with a more refined offensive game.

« Reply #148 on: December 25, 2019, 08:10:55 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
CBS Sports singing Jaylen's praises.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-christmas-day-2019-jaylen-browns-explosion-shows-why-this-season-is-different-for-him-and-the-celtics/

A snippet:

On the broadcast, color analyst Richard Jefferson joked that Brown deserves more than the four-year, $115 contract extension he signed just before the start of the regular season. The way the 23-year-old has played, though, that number genuinely looks like a bargain. Through 25 games, Brown is averaging 20.2 points, 7.0 rebounds and 2.4 assists with a 60 percent true shooting percentage. He also happens to be a big wing who can defend multiple positions, the most coveted archetype in the modern NBA.

Had Brown not come to an agreement with Boston in October, he would surely be in line for a max contract. As it stands, he has a good chance of making the All-Star Game. His ball-handling, footwork and passing have all improved noticeably, and unlike last season, the Celtics have created an environment in which he can show all his skills. It's as if he picked up where he left off at the end of their remarkable run in the 2018 playoffs, only with a more refined offensive game.
I'm stunned anyone on a national broadcast had anything positive to say about anyone on the Celtics or the Celtic organization.

« Reply #149 on: December 25, 2019, 10:54:21 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Ringer article after game refers to Brown as “borderline” all star.

Hasn’t he earned right to remove “borderline” from his description?? Or am I being a homer?
I think borderline is a good description for him until he shows that he can handle a larger offensive load consistently, Brad still plays in a role that's mainly off ball. But I believe that he has it in him, the games where he went off when his role expanded is good enough evidence for me.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA