Author Topic: Jaylen Brown looks like a 2-way star  (Read 38090 times)

Jaylen Brown looks like a 2-way star
« on: October 28, 2019, 08:58:59 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
In our first 3 games, I decided to focus just on the positives.
My biggest takeaway and reason for joy so far is that J. Brown looks like a 2-way star at the wing position.
His finishing is improved, his defense is at the all-NBA level, his confidence and awareness have improved as well.
I'm truly impressed by his play.

I like Gordon's minutes, but I love Brown's minutes.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

Re: Jaylen Brown looks like a 2-way star
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2019, 09:22:19 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Something that I don't think is being discussed enough is that, Brown has been playing so great while basically playing the PF position. Seven of the top 8 players he has been guarding by total minutes are, in order,

Siakam
Randle
Horford
Toby Harris
Morris, Sr.
Anunoby
Knox

And he has done a very credible if not extremely good job on all those guys defensively. If he hadn't been called for some fairly terrible fouls, his numbers might be even better than they are.

I find it interesting that people debated this past summer whether Tatum or Hayward would be the team's de facto PF. First game, the C's need someone to guard the guy we played at center last year, Horford, and out of Hayward and Tatum, Stevens chose.....his starting SG to guard him. And Stevens continues to give the toughest matchup 2-4 to Brown. I think that speaks volumes for how much confidence Stevens has in Brown's defensive abilities versus the defensive chops of Tatum or Hayward.

He might be one of the few guys on the team that have been consistently driving the lane and kicking it out to create offense, something he has not done in the past. He is creating for others doing that, which is the type of offense Stevens loves: attack the basket, finish or kick it out for the open shot or rotate the ball for the open shot or rotate to another guy to attack and dry, rinse and repeat.

Brown's handle, playmaking, court vision, physicality and efficiency have all taken major leaps forward. He is becoming the star, that I have been saying for three years he would become. Way to go Jaylen.

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2019, 09:33:16 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
Something that I don't think is being discussed enough is that, Brown has been playing so great while basically playing the PF position. Seven of the top 8 players he has been guarding by total minutes are, in order,

Siakam
Randle
Horford
Toby Harris
Morris, Sr.
Anunoby
Knox

And he has done a very credible if not extremely good job on all those guys defensively. If he hadn't been called for some fairly terrible fouls, his numbers might be even better than they are.

I find it interesting that people debated this past summer whether Tatum or Hayward would be the team's de facto PF. First game, the C's need someone to guard the guy we played at center last year, Horford, and out of Hayward and Tatum, Stevens chose.....his starting SG to guard him. And Stevens continues to give the toughest matchup 2-4 to Brown. I think that speaks volumes for how much confidence Stevens has in Brown's defensive abilities versus the defensive chops of Tatum or Hayward.

He might be one of the few guys on the team that have been consistently driving the lane and kicking it out to create offense, something he has not done in the past. He is creating for others doing that, which is the type of offense Stevens loves: attack the basket, finish or kick it out for the open shot or rotate the ball for the open shot or rotate to another guy to attack and dry, rinse and repeat.

Brown's handle, playmaking, court vision, physicality and efficiency have all taken major leaps forward. He is becoming the star, that I have been saying for three years he would become. Way to go Jaylen.

Yep I've had this argument in game threads, but Jaylen is gonna guard basically the best non center offensive option, whether that be a PG or PF. He's the best defensive player in the starting lineup whether he's guarding a small or a big.

Its obvious the playmaking has improved, if the Celtics could hit anything he'd be averaging 3-4 assists right now. Now we'll have to see how real it is, maybe this is just a hot start and he's just mildly improved. That would still be great. Or maybe as the season goes on he gets more pick n roll chances, more comfort, and he's drastically improved and then given the defense he'll have star upside.

I also wnat to point out he seems to have a better idea what he's doing at the rim, he's not just trying to jump over everyone. Using shoulders angles, ect well.

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2019, 09:37:46 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
He looks better with his decision making, his ball handling and finishing around the rim.  I was ready to punch the TV last year when he missed so many shots inside of 5 feet.  So far so good.  He has potential to be very good.  When will he become a star?  When he is great game after game after game.  He has to be consistently good.  And, the tell all, he has to win games at the end of the games.  He has to be a crunch time scorer.

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2019, 09:38:28 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I like him.  He’s been aggressive.  But I still don’t see a star on offense.  He’s taking advantage of attention elsewhere which is good on him.  But he wouldn’t be able to handle the attention on him because of his limited offensive repertoire.

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2019, 09:49:23 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Siakam
Randle
Horford
Toby Harris
Morris, Sr.
Anunoby
Knox

and that is a big problem, especially as the season goes on.  Brown isn't big enough to take that abuse consistently and perform consistently while doing it.  It will start to wear on him.  The team needs a real PF.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2019, 10:04:41 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo

Siakam
Randle
Horford
Toby Harris
Morris, Sr.
Anunoby
Knox

and that is a big problem, especially as the season goes on.  Brown isn't big enough to take that abuse consistently and perform consistently while doing it.  It will start to wear on him.  The team needs a real PF.

I mean he's not gonna cover the PF's all year. There are team that dont have a good offensive PF and in those cases I imagine Jaylen with cover the best offensive wing player or guard.  We've just so happened to play a team with a) All PF size guys b) A team with an all star level PF in Siakim and C) A team of 100% PF's. I imagine he'll be covering guys like Butler against MIA, Beal against WAS, Levine against CHI, ect.

If Jaylen isnt covering the PF who is? Tatum is just as if not more important offensively and isnt nearly as physical as Jaylen (he need to gain 20 pounds) so it either needs to be Hayward or start Grant? 

Also its a good sign that we've collectively gone from "Lets trade Jaylen so we don't have to pay him" all the way to "He's too important to guard PF's all year!" in like 3 games.

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2019, 10:09:26 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I'm happy we are recognizing Jaylen. He has worked hard to become the player he is. I still think this team will only go as far as Jaylen takes them.

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2019, 10:12:29 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
I like him.  He’s been aggressive.  But I still don’t see a star on offense.  He’s taking advantage of attention elsewhere which is good on him.  But he wouldn’t be able to handle the attention on him because of his limited offensive repertoire.
Gotta respect the double down.

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2019, 10:56:05 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467

Siakam
Randle
Horford
Toby Harris
Morris, Sr.
Anunoby
Knox

TP Good post.  Once Tatum figures out this part of his game his offense will go to another level as well.  He's doing it in flashes but has to be more aware when he has a great shot to score or if he's forcing a shot in the paint.  Just because he's attacking the paint doesn't mean it's a good shot if the defender is there blocking it.  Brown is off to a great start and he's improved play is showing the work he put in.  His handles are a lot better.  Keep it up JB.

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2019, 10:59:02 AM »

Offline greenrunsdeep41

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 152

Siakam
Randle
Horford
Toby Harris
Morris, Sr.
Anunoby
Knox

I mean he's not gonna cover the PF's all year. There are team that dont have a good offensive PF and in those cases I imagine Jaylen with cover the best offensive wing player or guard.  We've just so happened to play a team with a) All PF size guys b) A team with an all star level PF in Siakim and C) A team of 100% PF's. I imagine he'll be covering guys like Butler against MIA, Beal against WAS, Levine against CHI, ect.

If Jaylen isnt covering the PF who is? Tatum is just as if not more important offensively and isnt nearly as physical as Jaylen (he need to gain 20 pounds) so it either needs to be Hayward or start Grant? 

Also its a good sign that we've collectively gone from "Lets trade Jaylen so we don't have to pay him" all the way to "He's too important to guard PF's all year!" in like 3 games.

You sir, get a TP!
2019 Historical Draft - Golden State

C - Bill Russell/Joel Embiid
PF - Giannis Antetokounmpo/Tommy Heinsohn
SF - Kevin Durant/Billy Cunningham
SG - Bruce Bowen/David Thompson
PG - Isiah Thomas/James Harden

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2019, 11:37:49 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860

Jaylen Brown is a great young player.  He is showing that he is willing to do whatever to help the team.  For now though, what option do we have?  What will change so that he doesn't have to cover PF all season?

I believe this role will diminish his production.  He will likely get more fouls and otherwise be impacted by having to play out of position.  I like his willingness to do it, many of today's NBA players would resist fearing it might impact their next contract and in truth, it might.

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2019, 11:42:41 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
The thing is, Jaylen probably does have to be covering PF’s all year. I mean, how many teams are constructed like us?
- LilRip

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2019, 11:44:30 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I can't disagree more with your statement, from what I've rewatched (I couldn't wake up for the games, but I did rewatch the games) his decision making and offensive skills are showing signs of what a star on offense has, while your lad Tatum has the skills but not the body and mind to use them.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2019, 11:44:59 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Siakam
Randle
Horford
Toby Harris
Morris, Sr.
Anunoby
Knox

um that was my point.  A SF is going to have to guard a PF this year, all year long.  If it isn't Brown as you point out it will be Tatum (or Hayward).  That is the problem.  Someone has to do it.  The team can get by for awhile, but at some point they need someone with size and talent to play PF.  And that might mean that they have to trade 1 of their 3 SF's to do it.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip