C / C-
15 (7.9%)
D+
6 (3.2%)
D / D-
6 (3.2%)
F
9 (4.8%)
Incomplete (I Just Can't Give It A Grade Yet)
15 (7.9%)

Total Members Voted: 187

Author Topic: Poll: Give The Kyrie Irving-To-Boston Trade A Letter Grade  (Read 59516 times)

Re: Poll: Give The Kyrie Irving-To-Boston Trade A Letter Grade
« Reply #165 on: February 07, 2018, 11:21:07 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
Kyrie has been about what I expected (better overall than 2016-17 IT).  He has been better than I thought at times but at other times not so much making the mean about what I think most should have expected from Kyrie.  But IT has not returned to form.  I don't know how much of that is injury vs. system/teammates but I think we would be a lottery team right now if we had not made the trade instead of a premier destination for buy out Free Agents who want a shot at the finals.

« Reply #166 on: February 07, 2018, 12:26:00 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
I gave that move the A-mark.
More than half of the voters didn't see it as an A type of move.

Some time has passed, this old thread is bumped and we got a considerable amount of information on it. Not all though.
What have we found out in the meantime?

- IT looks worse than anyone thought he'd be.
-Jae Crowder continued his drop off since his best 2015-16 season (prior to ankle injuries, some 70 games in the season). He is getting old in dogs years.
- BKN pick has been hovering around the 8-9 range all year long rather than the 4-5 range everyone advertised at the time.
- And sadly, even I, Žižić's "bodyguard" on the CB, have to admit that he has been a disappointment (I'm not giving up on him yet! He is young, is coached by Lou and is in poor situation overall.)
- Kyrie has been amazing. He is having his most efficient year offensively and he even improved his defense. Who could expect more so far?

I have a funny feeling that the F's, D's, C's will still try to think of the reasons that the trade didn't work. They will use much more of their brain power to think of the reasons why they were right, rather than to think of the reasons it is an A-move.

My dear data analysis/game theory professor Kopal, was right:
"Once someone makes up their mind, and forms an opinion, it is extremely difficult to change it. Even if you present him the tangible proof that says otherwise. It is basic human nature."

I'll stick with Žižić guys.
You stick with D- marks for Kyrie deal.
A+ for Prof. Kopal. Sit.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 12:34:57 PM by Androslav »
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #167 on: February 07, 2018, 12:39:54 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
What ever happened to Zizic anyways.

You'd think he'd get playing time in the games the Cavaliers get blown out in, but nope...  ???
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #168 on: February 07, 2018, 12:41:56 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 911

Some time has passed, this old thread is bumped and we got a considerable amount of information on it. Not all though.

-Jae Crowder continued his drop off since his best 2015-16 season (prior to ankle injuries, some 70 games in the season). He is getting old in dogs years.
- BKN pick has been hovering around the 8-9 range all year long rather than the 4-5 range everyone advertised at the time.
- And sadly, even I, Žižić's "bodyguard" on the CB, have to admit that he has been a disappointment (I'm not giving up on him yet! He is young, is coached by Lou and is in poor situation overall.)
- Kyrie has been amazing. He is having his most efficient year offensively and he even improved his defense. Who could expect more so far?

I have a funny feeling that the F's, D's, C's will still try to think of the reasons that the trade didn't work. They will use much more of their brain power to think of the reasons why they were right, rather than to think of the reasons it is an A-move.

Can't vouch for anyone else, but this C- has moved to an A-. Oops.

Mike

« Reply #169 on: February 07, 2018, 12:49:44 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Can't vouch for anyone else, but this C- has moved to an A-. Oops.

Mike

Mine has moved to a B. Still some factors to look at (does Kyrie sign an extension here or does he bolt? Does that BKN pick actually land Top-5 or outside of it?)

« Reply #170 on: February 07, 2018, 01:07:31 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

"Once someone makes up their mind, and forms an opinion, it is extremely difficult to change it. Even if you present him the tangible proof that says otherwise. It is basic human nature."

A+ for Prof. Kopal. Sit.

I think you are a little misinformed in your post, Andro. The poll was actually very split in the first day or two with grades spread out across the spectrum and was based on our initial opinion of the trade. Unfortunately, the poll was left open (is it still open?) for quite some time after we found out about IT's true injury and after people had a chance to digest trading our best player and our best pick in a deal where we were basically bidding against ourselves.

I highly doubt there are many people here still grading this deal a D or F so there really isn't any reason to tell people how stubborn they are being. Perhaps we should start a brand new poll asking how people think about the deal now.

« Reply #171 on: February 07, 2018, 01:26:03 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Still incomplete but I've loved what's come out of it so far.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #172 on: February 07, 2018, 09:10:19 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

A+ for Prof. Kopal. Sit.

I think you are a little misinformed in your post, Andro. The poll was actually very split in the first day or two with grades spread out across the spectrum and was based on our initial opinion of the trade. Unfortunately, the poll was left open (is it still open?) for quite some time after we found out about IT's true injury and after people had a chance to digest trading our best player and our best pick in a deal where we were basically bidding against ourselves.

I highly doubt there are many people here still grading this deal a D or F so there really isn't any reason to tell people how stubborn they are being. Perhaps we should start a brand new poll asking how people think about the deal now.

Well I could be wrong but I think some moderator on here (idk who) locked the poll a long time ago, so no one can vote. Don't think anyone has put in a vote in the last 2-3 months as a result.

« Reply #173 on: February 07, 2018, 09:43:02 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

A+ for Prof. Kopal. Sit.

Well I could be wrong but I think some moderator on here (idk who) locked the poll a long time ago, so no one can vote. Don't think anyone has put in a vote in the last 2-3 months as a result.

2-3 months ago is still too much. It seems like the kind of poll that should have been closed within a week (or even a couple of days).

Is there anybody on this site who wouldn't give an 'A' or a 'B' grade at this point? We have all had time to get to know Kyrie and move on from IT/Crowder.

« Reply #174 on: February 08, 2018, 12:12:56 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
I'm sure there are some that still don't like Kyrie. We can't find them, though, as they've run for the hills.

« Reply #175 on: February 08, 2018, 12:21:03 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

A+ for Prof. Kopal. Sit.

2-3 months ago is still too much. It seems like the kind of poll that should have been closed within a week (or even a couple of days).

Is there anybody on this site who wouldn't give an 'A' or a 'B' grade at this point? We have all had time to get to know Kyrie and move on from IT/Crowder.

Probably @tarheels  :laugh:

Like I hated it at first, thought it was an overpay, and honestly still think it is. But Zizic looks like he won't do anything next 2-3 years. Isaiah and Crowder look underwhelming so far (hell, Isaiah could be dealt tomorrow...).

BUT, depends on if Kyrie stays here long term or bolts in 2019, and if Nets Pick lands Top-5 (which is still a possibility)

« Reply #176 on: February 08, 2018, 08:39:23 AM »

Offline CelticsQuestFor18

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
It's a B+ for me now. Close to A-.

« Reply #177 on: February 08, 2018, 08:46:12 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I originally gave it a C, but am up to a B+ now given just how bad IT has looked.  And it isn't that IT has been bad, as I figured at least 20 games to return to form, but the concern is he hasn't progressed at all and is still talking like he is the same player he was last year.  Having that on this team would have been a disaster.  That said, I'm not ready to give it an A yet, since I have no idea what becomes of that BKN pick or if Irving ends up signing long term.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #178 on: February 08, 2018, 08:49:15 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I went with solid B as of now.  We traded undersized pg (great guy etc) for a younger, bigger, better player.  We gave up Jae who is a sub, he's never going to get better than TWO years ago, only worse.  i.e. last season he didn't play as well.  We gave up a draft pick that could be very good or not at all.  And we gave up a young big who as of now doesn't look ready for a few years.

what did it cost us to get IT? Jae?
will IT stay beyond a year rental in Cleveland?  he wants max $ remember, he probably would have walked from c's

solid b, could be better as time goes on
Well I originally went with solid b, I think this should be adjusted up to A- at this point.  The only reason it isn't higher is the unknown draft pick

« Reply #179 on: February 08, 2018, 01:21:03 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
IT and Crowder and 2020 MIA second rounder traded away already... Down to Zizic and BRK 18...