Author Topic: Early 2020 Draft Watchlist  (Read 22712 times)

Re: Early 2020 Draft Watchlist
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2020, 03:07:11 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
Maybe I'm feeling my age. Every year I hear people say the coming draft class is weak. Even worse - they'll say the class after that will be much stronger - as if they have any idea which 16 or 17 year olds are going to be chosen two years from now, and on top of that, what their NBA ceilings will be! 

We were told repeatedly that the 2016 NBA draft was "weak", and especially that it was void of all-star level talent. https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/7dyq6q/remember_draft_class_of_2016_was_considered_a/. Predictions made 2 years out are often hilariously wrong - every year brings us draft "risers" and "fallers" as 16-year olds finally face elite competition and show warts - or develop unexpectedly.

Please leave off with the "weak draft" comments for 2020. And if you can't do that, at least don't tell us the 2021 draft is going to be great.

(This concludes today's old-man, "get off my lawn" comment.)

I think that when people call the 2020 draft "weak" they really mean that it's not a good year to have a top pick.

You know, no Jaylen Brown waiting there to be picked.  ;)

« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2020, 05:55:44 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Maybe I'm feeling my age. Every year I hear people say the coming draft class is weak. Even worse - they'll say the class after that will be much stronger - as if they have any idea which 16 or 17 year olds are going to be chosen two years from now, and on top of that, what their NBA ceilings will be! 

We were told repeatedly that the 2016 NBA draft was "weak", and especially that it was void of all-star level talent. https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/7dyq6q/remember_draft_class_of_2016_was_considered_a/. Predictions made 2 years out are often hilariously wrong - every year brings us draft "risers" and "fallers" as 16-year olds finally face elite competition and show warts - or develop unexpectedly.

Please leave off with the "weak draft" comments for 2020. And if you can't do that, at least don't tell us the 2021 draft is going to be great.

And every year someone comes here to state the contrary as if they know something other than that 3 years ago people were saying what a weak draft it is and 3 years later they were wrong. Big whoop! People come here to state their opinions and knowledge. If you can't handle it then save the commentary.

« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2020, 05:58:22 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
time to officialize things.

My official binky:  Onyeka Okongwu
A little early for me and binkies but if we get stuck with the Memphis pick DA should really move up as far as he can if anyone will take the Boston pick and the Bucks pick.
Right now I really like Obi Toppin from Dayton. He could move up in this weak draft and be a top 5 pick.
You can watch Toppin play tonight on CBS Sports Network at LaSalle. Should be a good show out for him.
Hmmm I might go watch him in person next saturday as getting a good seat should be cheap for the flyers.
Nice! Post your feedback if you do go. BTW, Dayton has a nice team this year so not sure how good of seats you'll get but good luck.

« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2020, 07:04:44 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Just going by the numbers, Tyrese Haliburton reminds me of Shai Gilgeous-Alexander.

6'5'' point guard
7'0'' wingspan
17.3 points per game this season on 54.1% from the floor, 5.7 rebs, 7.7 assists
42.4% from 3 on 6 attempts per game
superb assist to t/o ratio (=7.7/2.5)

Has anybody seen him play? Is he as good as the numbers portray him to be?

For what it's worth, nbadraft.net has him going at #14 (SGA went at #11).
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 07:11:44 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2020, 07:30:50 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

And every year someone comes here to state the contrary as if they know something other than that 3 years ago people were saying what a weak draft it is and 3 years later they were wrong. Big whoop! People come here to state their opinions and knowledge. If you can't handle it then save the commentary.

And I’ve come here to state my opinion that these draft predictions are hot air or worse. Isn’t that also part of the spirit of the board?

« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2020, 07:40:44 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Just going by the numbers, Tyrese Haliburton reminds me of Shai Gilgeous-Alexander.

6'5'' point guard
7'0'' wingspan

Saw him play one game, vs. Michigan in the Bahamas.  He definitely passes the eye test, physically, and I can see why people are high on him.  In the game I saw, I would criticize him for playing a bit out of control, particularly on defense.  He racked up the steals and rebounds,  but he got out of position a fair bit, which enabled the Michigan PG to penetrate with frequency, often drawing a second defender and enabling him to find an open man.  Michigan won this game despite 22 turnovers to 9.  A major reason was that they went 20-31 from two, as their PG had 13 assists and went 4-4 from two himself.

He certainly wasn’t the only culprit on defense, but I definitely noted the lapses because of his hype.  But the talent is real, and I only saw one game, so don’t know my criticism was anomalous.  He also took a ton of shots — definitely forced a few jumpers.  A great driver tho.

« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2020, 07:41:55 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja

And I’ve come here to state my opinion that these draft predictions are hot air or worse. Isn’t that also part of the spirit of the board?
yes it is. and it is also the spirit of the board to have posters provide high quality posts that involve some thought and research. to make the point that a number of posters are posting thoughts and ideas that took little to no time or research is also valid....in that same spirit.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2020, 08:44:31 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

6'5'' point guard
7'0'' wingspan

Saw him play one game, vs. Michigan in the Bahamas.  He definitely passes the eye test, physically, and I can see why people are high on him.  In the game I saw, I would criticize him for playing a bit out of control, particularly on defense.  He racked up the steals and rebounds,  but he got out of position a fair bit, which enabled the Michigan PG to penetrate with frequency, often drawing a second defender and enabling him to find an open man.  Michigan won this game despite 22 turnovers to 9.  A major reason was that they went 20-31 from two, as their PG had 13 assists and went 4-4 from two himself.

He certainly wasn’t the only culprit on defense, but I definitely noted the lapses because of his hype.  But the talent is real, and I only saw one game, so don’t know my criticism was anomalous.  He also took a ton of shots — definitely forced a few jumpers.  A great driver tho.
Thnx salty! TP!

Was just watching this video regarding his strengths, in case anyone's interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MazNHgHI8Q

I know we don't need a PG, but Danny seems to love guards with big wingspans (Smart, Rozier, Rondo, Langford, James Young, Tony Allen to name a few). Perhaps there's something here.

Personally speaking, I'm a sucker for oversized guards (and undersized bigs :P) cause they can switch ball screens and defend multiple positions.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 09:17:11 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2020, 09:08:12 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Welpp, after watching Obi Toppin's first stint in the Dayton Lasalle game, I've seen enough.

There'll be no Toppin in Boston without trading up from the Memphis pick....

What a perfect Celtic he'd be as our longterm starting 4 next to Jayson and Jaylen

« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2020, 09:18:38 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Welpp, after watching Obi Toppin's first stint in the Dayton Lasalle game, I've seen enough.

What a perfect Celtic he'd be as our longterm starting 4 next to Jayson and Jaylen

I don’t think he has the athleticism to succeed as a power forward. Feel like he’s a typically 4th year college guy who is older than his competition.

« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2020, 09:26:06 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker

I don’t think he has the athleticism to succeed as a power forward. Feel like he’s a typically 4th year college guy who is older than his competition.
He's a sophomore but your'e right he's an old sophomore....(or is that what you meant?).  I hope other teams feel the same as you (and Tankathon which has him down in lower lottery), so that the Celtics could maybe grab him.  They just described him as the best dunker in college basketball and said he was like a hybrid of Amare Stoudamire and I forgot who else......so hard to picture that he's missing athleticism, unless these announcers are out to lunch.

« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2020, 09:29:13 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

He's a sophomore but your'e right he's an old sophomore....(or is that what you meant?).  I hope other teams feel the same as you (and Tankathon which has him down in lower lottery), so that the Celtics could maybe grab him.  They just described him as the best dunker in college basketball and said he was like a hybrid of Amare Stoudamire and I forgot who else......so hard to picture that he's missing athleticism, unless these announcers are out to lunch.

Yes age wise he’s a senior. Judging him from film. Admittedly have not watched him in full games. Just a gut impression. Hope you’re right and I’m wrong.

« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2020, 09:33:52 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker

Yes age wise he’s a senior. Judging him from film. Admittedly have not watched him in full games. Just a gut impression. Hope you’re right and I’m wrong.

He seems to move a little stiffly.  I'm hoping it's a meaningless stiffness....definitely might fall lower due to age.  The top of the draft is all about the super youth.

« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2020, 06:17:49 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

He seems to move a little stiffly.  I'm hoping it's a meaningless stiffness....definitely might fall lower due to age.  The top of the draft is all about the super youth.
Not stiff at all. I guess you missed the move last night straight out of the Kevin McHale school of schooling people. He has good footwork, is smart and shoots the 3 ball well. He's looking like a top 10 pick. Didn't realize his age. His maturity shows on the court. I don't think he falls in draft much. Dude can play.
Edit: just realized Toppin was redshirted. It's why he's as old as he is.
Also, love the attitude in this video. Larry Bird-esque (DO NOT think for a second I am comparing the two).
https://www.espn.com/watch/player?id=28178915&lang=en
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 07:50:02 AM by GreenShooter »

« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2020, 10:46:47 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
Daniel Oturu. Whoa! Dude is candidate for the Memphis pick, if it conveys. Don't see his name mentioned much for the lottery but he's improved significantly since last year. He's even added a "developing" 3-ball (considering he only took 2 all of last year). Must see on the Minnesota Gophers. Pretty sure someone already mentioned his name.