Author Topic: Playoff Ticket Questions  (Read 4249 times)

Playoff Ticket Questions
« on: February 08, 2017, 10:02:50 AM »

Offline schabette

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
Hello @ all!

I'm from Austria and will be travelling to Boston at the 6th of may and stay for 2 weeks. Of course I would love to see the Celtics live for the first time (haven't missed a game since 2011 thanks to League Pass). So this year more than ever, I'm hoping they pass the first round so I get to watch a semifinal game.

I'm pretty unfamiliar with the Ticket Sales system, but I have noticed that regular season prices depend heavily upon the matchup. Some of those numbers really make me cringe and give me an absurd answer of why the players get millions and millions more each year. but that's a topic for another day : ) ...

My question now is: how much money should I calculate for a semifinal ticket (balcony section is fine, just want to be in the building :) ) ? Is it even possible to get one or are they all reserved for season ticket holders etc.?

Greetings from the similarly freezing Salzburg!

Re: Playoff Ticket Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 10:31:09 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Typically around the time the Celtics clinch a playoff berth, the team will announce how single-game playoff ticket sales will work.  So pay attention to their website beginning in March, and they'll tell you how it works.  There are always some seats sold this way.

If you are unsuccessful at getting them directly from the Celtics, you can try the second-hand market.  This can be through an online vendor like StubHub or outside the Garden from someone on the street.  The safer way is through the online vendors, as those tickets are verified to not be counterfeit.  Certainly you'll be able to at least get a seat in the upper decks.  They're always available.

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 10:48:09 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
Tag Schabette:

As saltlover said, you'll always be able to get something in the upper deck. There may be a question as to cost but if you don't need a great seat, it will likely at least be affordable.

I'm a season ticket holder and we've always had a shot at buying extras before they went on sale to the general public. My guess, and this is strictly a guess, is that most will be snapped up. A few will remain in the balcony.

Important: Is it going to be just you? You will have a much easier time getting a deal on a seat if it is a single. You'll want to look for seats that are single, or in groups of 3, 5, etc. Most people are willing to sell just an odd seat on the resale sites.

As you noted, the Celtics vary the ticket price based on the desirability of the opponent. The playoffs will work the same way, particularly since the Celtics haven't reached the second round in a while. Over the past few years, they've actually been pretty generous with pricing, pricing most of the first-round tickets at only a slight premium to in-season tickets. I seem to remember a 40% or so increase. Sorry, I normally keep a spreadsheet on these but didn't do last year's playoffs. My sheet from a few years ago says there was about a 50% jump from first to second round.

If you can't get them when they first go on sale (You likely will be able to if you sign on immediately.), here's my hint for buying them: The Celtics have an official resale site that season ticket holders are supposed to use. I use it to resell mine. But you'll probably get a better deal on Seat Geek, which is a scraper for other resale sites (although they also offer their own). The fees are lower and the variety is better. They also have a "deal score" that tells you how good the price is for particular tickets that somebody is offering. It's a guide, not a hard and fast rule.

You don't have to buy right away in the resale market. If you don't like what's available, wait it out. Prices will come down. Not a ton, but somewhat, as people who bought extra tickets realize that they won't get huge premiums for them.

Mike

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 08:54:42 AM »

Offline schabette

• Xavier Tillman
Wow, thank you so much for the detailed info!!!

Best case scenario would be if I could get 2 tickets, for me and my girlfriend, so i guess this will not be easy.

So if I understood correctly, they will announce when the sale begins, and I just will have to be quick! When will that be? When they clinched the playoffs or when the regular season ends?

One more thing: Can you recommend any section where you think the price-quality ratio is better than the others, in terms of view on the court?

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 09:17:44 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I always first aim to sit in one of sections 301, 302, 330, or 315, 316, 317.  They are the center court balcony sections where I think the view is terrific and a pretty solid deal.  314, 318, 303, 329 wouldn't be bad either as they are just one section further down the court and a good view too.  If you have to pay $30 extra per seat to sit there rather than behind the hoop, I think you'll be happy with your choice in the end.  Just my opinion.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 01:13:20 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
Wow, thank you so much for the detailed info!!!

Best case scenario would be if I could get 2 tickets, for me and my girlfriend, so i guess this will not be easy.

So if I understood correctly, they will announce when the sale begins, and I just will have to be quick! When will that be? When they clinched the playoffs or when the regular season ends?

One more thing: Can you recommend any section where you think the price-quality ratio is better than the others, in terms of view on the court?

I'll second action's post. If you have to choose between being centrally located and being closer to the court, I'd take the central location.

I'm sorry, I don't remember when presale starts. I'm talking to my rep next week and will try and remember to ask her. Should be around the time that they clinch, though.

Just an FYI: I just got my pricing today for my playoff tickets (I'm a season ticket holder.). My base cost per game was $90 per ticket (Section 9, Row 1). It appears that the standard price for most games is about 40% higher than what I pay. That won't hold true for every section, so use it for what it's worth. The sections that action781 mentioned generally sell for $50-60 per ticket for standard games (standard price directly from the Cs).

For the playoffs, here are the cost of my tickets per round:

1) $115/ticket
2) $156/ticket
3) $202/ticket
4) $317/ticket

So Round 2 is a 73% premium to my normal price. My guess, and again, strictly a guess, is that decent balcony tickets will be around $110 each, +/- $10 for the second round.

Just hit ticketmaster as soon as they go on sale and you'll probably be able to snag something.

Mike

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2017, 10:10:24 AM »

Offline schabette

• Xavier Tillman
Thank you very much! TP! If you happen to sell yours for a second round game, hit me up  ;) !

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2017, 12:00:30 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
Thank you very much! TP! If you happen to sell yours for a second round game, hit me up  ;) !

Let me see how the timing looks. Not likely right now, but could change.

Mike

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2017, 11:06:34 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
BTW, if anyone's looking for playoff tickets, I would definitely be on right when tickets go on sale. There may be a pre-sale through Club Green. The presale for STHers was brutal. Everything was gone within minutes.

Mike

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2017, 10:08:51 AM »

Offline dwlefty13

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 3
Looking at the Club Green Presale right now through Ticketmaster...tickets are outrageous for me. I remember years were I could get tickets for a playoff game at $40/ticket. No way am I spending $100 for nosebleed and I love some green.

Does anybody know if tickets at the box office is cheaper than online?
Let's Go Celtics!!

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2017, 10:35:54 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
Looking at the Club Green Presale right now through Ticketmaster...tickets are outrageous for me. I remember years were I could get tickets for a playoff game at $40/ticket. No way am I spending $100 for nosebleed and I love some green.

Prices would be the same with the exception of you not having to pay fees.
That being said the games will be long sold out by the time you got to the box office. Unless you went right when they first go onsale tomorrow.

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2017, 10:51:37 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
The prices for tickets is just insane.  But...They keep selling out so, so be it.
Yup

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2017, 12:04:09 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker

Prices would be the same with the exception of you not having to pay fees.
That being said the games will be long sold out by the time you got to the box office. Unless you went right when they first go onsale tomorrow.

This.

Mike

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2017, 09:20:44 PM »

Offline Rich

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 12
This years prices are insane. Last year I bought round one uppers for 45-50 each - 2 tix to home game 1-3. This year that price has doubled to 90-100!! Ugh.
Let’s go Celtics!!