Author Topic: Lebron tied Larry Bird at #6 on all time triple doubles list  (Read 3816 times)

Lebron tied Larry Bird at #6 on all time triple doubles list
« on: December 15, 2017, 04:04:37 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Happened last night

Re: Lebron tied Larry Bird at #6 on all time triple doubles list
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 04:11:59 PM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Lebron > Bird

This has been the case for quite some time. I just watched Shannon v Skip, and even though I thought Skip made weak arguments for Larry, Lebron’s greatness is undeniable.

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 04:16:25 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Health is a factor here.  The back and missed season hampered Bird's career totals in the counting stats.

That said, James is a heck of a player. I'd still take Bird, but James is a heck of a player.

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 04:36:44 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
Lebron > Bird

This has been the case for quite some time. I just watched Shannon v Skip, and even though I thought Skip made weak arguments for Larry, Lebron’s greatness is undeniable.
what are you, a cavs fan?
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2017, 05:38:43 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
nobody will ever pass the King of Whine. in moaning and complaining

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2017, 05:58:38 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Bird was better. Gotta remember he had better teams to compete against. There were two dynasties existing at the same time throughout Larry's entire career. If not for Magic, Kareem and the Lakers, Larry might have 7-8 rings.

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2017, 06:58:59 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Congrats to LeBron. One of the greatest of all time.

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2017, 07:12:54 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Without a doubt.

I don't know how everyone else measures greatness but if I could pick Bird or Lebron for one game, one playoff series, or one season, and know I'd get him at his best, I'm picking Bird. Because of longevity I understand those who will say that Lebron is the greater player but I still think Bird is the "better" player.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2017, 07:15:50 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
This is kind of like Barry bonds to me. Lebron needed steroids.

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2017, 07:21:58 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Without a doubt.

I don't know how everyone else measures greatness but if I could pick Bird or Lebron for one game, one playoff series, or one season, and know I'd get him at his best, I'm picking Bird. Because of longevity I understand those who will say that Lebron is the greater player but I still think Bird is the "better" player.

I get that.

As Celtics fans we've SEEN Bird play and the incredible things he's done in Green.

I have no doubt that LeBron James - in Bird's place - could've done just about the same things.

I don't think he was NEARLY as good a passer as Larry but I believe BOS's ring count would've been the same....maybe more.

LeBron James was BUILT for just about ANY era of the NBA. He would've adjusted to (and probably RELISHED) the tough and rugged play of the 80's.

That 87' series vs the Lakers? We would NOT have had a Larry Bird that was starting to show signs of wear and tear.

LeBron James would've SHREDDED Michael Cooper - SHREDDED him. Too big. Too fast.

LeBron James would've been how old in 87? 28?? Lakers would've been done.

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2017, 08:15:17 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Bird was better. Gotta remember he had better teams to compete against. There were two dynasties existing at the same time throughout Larry's entire career. If not for Magic, Kareem and the Lakers, Larry might have 7-8 rings.
Duncan and the Spurs won 3 titles during Lebron's career including 2 Finals wins over James' teams.  The Warriors have put together the 3 best consecutive regular seasons in history.  The Lakers and Celtics both had great 3 season runs. Let's not pretend only the 80's had great teams
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 08:21:21 PM by Moranis »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2017, 08:47:51 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Bird’s mid 80’s play was unreal.  Hard to top that.

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2017, 09:23:11 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Impressive. He will not be passing him in sex appeal any time soon, though.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2017, 10:11:30 PM »

Offline Banner18now!

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
Without a doubt.

I get that.

As Celtics fans we've SEEN Bird play and the incredible things he's done in Green.

I have no doubt that LeBron James - in Bird's place - could've done just about the same things.

I don't think he was NEARLY as good a passer as Larry but I believe BOS's ring count would've been the same....maybe more.

LeBron James was BUILT for just about ANY era of the NBA. He would've adjusted to (and probably RELISHED) the tough and rugged play of the 80's.

That 87' series vs the Lakers? We would NOT have had a Larry Bird that was starting to show signs of wear and tear.

LeBron James would've SHREDDED Michael Cooper - SHREDDED him. Too big. Too fast.

LeBron James would've been how old in 87? 28?? Lakers would've been done.

LOL won more rings with Lebron? Lebron doesn't have the mental toughness Larry had. Replace Larry with Lebron in 84 and the  Celtics weren't beating the Lakers that year. Bird came in the league at 24 and missed pretty much a whole season not to mention the last 2 years of missing multiple games with back issues. Lebron has had a pretty healthy long career and entered the league at18. He is going to break records and put up great stats because of that longevity. People will assume he was better than Bird because of that. How many games did it take Lebron to match Larry's triple doubles? How many games did Larry do it in? The only thing Lebron has over Bird IMO is defense and longevity. I would put Bird's years from 84-87 over any 4 year span of Lebron.

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2017, 10:37:10 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Duncan and the Spurs won 3 titles during Lebron's career including 2 Finals wins over James' teams.  The Warriors have put together the 3 best consecutive regular seasons in history.  The Lakers and Celtics both had great 3 season runs. Let's not pretend only the 80's had great teams
Let's also not pretend that the talent isn't a lot more watered down now after expansion and the advent of tanking in the lottery era. Let's also not pretend that the rules of contact are the same and that superstar calls existed back in the day.

Back in the 80's you needed 3 HOFers on your team and another 2 or 3 All-Star level players to win a championship. That hadn't been the case in Lebron's era. Its basically 2-3 HOFers on a team and maybe one other All-Star level player gets you a title. The 2008 Celtics set up that model.

Yes, there are great teams now, but in Lebron's absolute prime in Miami, he had no equal. He simply choked against Dallas and was overwhelmed by the exceptional passing offense of San Antonio.