Celtics Basketball > Celtics History

Cousy sitdown with Jackie Mac

(1/3) > >>

trickybilly:
"I would have encouraged Kaepernick to speak out. That's our identity in the society we live in. As a white player, I would have joined him, but not in that venue. I agree with people who say he had a responsibility to his cause, but he also had a responsibility to the people who made his brand -- the NFL, San Francisco [49ers]. If he had gotten on the phone and called ESPN and said, "Hey, it's Colin Kaepernick. I have something to say about social injustice," you guys would have had a crew down there to his house immediately. He could have done his thing in the same way, but by bringing it to the NFL, it cost them what? Thirteen percent [of revenue?] He had a responsibility to the NFL not to hurt his brand"

Curious to know what people think about this comment. I find the whole "don't disrupt the brand" a little off-putting for some reason. Like who is he worried about? Owners? Rooks? Erm, white kids??

Saying "he had a responsibility to the NFL not to hurt his brand"? What the hell does that mean? Or am I missing something?

Anyway, fascinating interview. Chuggin until 2am in Raliegh with Chuck C, bahahaha! Cool.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25057057/bob-cousy-reflects-race-making-amends-boston-celtics-teammate-bill-russell

gift:
I'm guessing he thinks you should have some respect for the brand since without the brand you don't have the platform. Without the platform, you don't have the opportunity. So do what you feel you need to, but in a way that doesn't disrespect what put you in a position to do it in the first place.

Roy H.:
Cousy is right. The NFL is his employer. Hurting the brand hurts all involved with the brand.

And he’s further correct that athletes have a giant platform. They can raise awareness any time they like.

Jenkins (the guy from the Eagles) started a foundation and got the NFL to chip in like $100 million. Eric Reid - Kap’s right hand man - calls him a sell out. This has become more about “look at me” marketing campaigns than actually helping people.

Big333223:
I remember when he first sat during the anthem (remember he didn't start kneeling, he started sitting) I thought to myself, "Well that seems unnecessary," and forgot all about it.

But then came the backlash. I think the hateful way a lot of people responded to a peaceful protest proved the need for the protest.

Cousy also said this:

--- Quote ---I could have gone up like a Colin Kaepernick and made noise when I had a platform to do it, and the fact that I didn't results in some of the guilt I've experienced later on.
--- End quote ---

slamtheking:

--- Quote from: Roy H. on October 23, 2018, 10:04:07 AM ---Cousy is right. The NFL is his employer. Hurting the brand hurts all involved with the brand.

And he’s further correct that athletes have a giant platform. They can raise awareness any time they like.

--- End quote ---
I think this is a fair point and pretty much how I look at this situation.

While there is free speech and Kap has a right to speak out about an issue that means a lot to him (and to many others and he should not be discouraged from using his right of free speech), there's better times and places to make that statement.

Most people don't have the opportunity/freedom to speak out in their workplace.  it's a place of work, not a political soapbox.  I can see the NFL having that same approach to its employees.   I have no issue with the NFL requiring players to stand for the anthem while encouraging them to speak out on their causes outside the game itself.   I don't think the NFL owners, nor Trump, are right to link Kap's actions to a disrespect to the country nor the military.   It's a free speech issue but free speech that's poorly placed such that its message is lost in the hubbub of how/when it's 'spoken'.    There are better and more effective ways for Kap to have used his fame/notoriety to bring attention to the issue he wants to address.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version