Author Topic: Hayward surgery went well. Recovery Timetable unknown. Best case=MARCH?  (Read 15812 times)

Re: Hayward surgery went well. Recovery Timetable unknown. Best case=MARCH?
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2017, 07:26:19 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Interesting comments to me from Ex-NBA player/Celtics forward Shavlik Randolph, who had similar injury to Gordon Hayward. "It's about a 4-6 month recovery. The ligaments take 6-8 weeks and the tibia was about three months to heal in all the places it broke. Ironically, I had the same injury and as bad as it looks it does heal back to 100 percent and does so surprisingly fast. I think there's a chance he could be back this season if he really pushed it. The team will be cautious to bring him back too fast, but I think he could by the end of the season. Maybe not back to full 100 percent by then, but I wouldn't be shocked if he can and does play."

Jeff Goodman, ESPN Insider

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2017, 07:37:01 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Interesting comments to me from Ex-NBA player/Celtics forward Shavlik Randolph, who had similar injury to Gordon Hayward. "It's about a 4-6 month recovery. The ligaments take 6-8 weeks and the tibia was about three months to heal in all the places it broke. Ironically, I had the same injury and as bad as it looks it does heal back to 100 percent and does so surprisingly fast. I think there's a chance he could be back this season if he really pushed it. The team will be cautious to bring him back too fast, but I think he could by the end of the season. Maybe not back to full 100 percent by then, but I wouldn't be shocked if he can and does play."

Seeing him return would be pretty insane (in a good way)

I definitely don't see us rushing him back, but if he came back in April it would be awesome. The crowd reaction at the Garden would be next level
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2017, 07:40:08 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

Well that's encouraging. Everyone is different so I don't know that this means Hayward's experience will be exactly the same but it's encouraging nonetheless.

Depending on where the team is in March/April, it might be worth having Hayward come in for a few minutes a game and get his sealegs back so he can hit the ground running next year. But the most important thing is that he's not rushed back to the floor.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2017, 08:42:15 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
From Mike Lynch:

"New information on Hayward surgery. As good as doctors could hope. Clean break, no ligament damage. Prognosis is good. Best case? March"

https://mobile.twitter.com/lynchiewcvb/status/920850943574532096

All things considered, that's great news, no ligament damage.

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2017, 08:45:20 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Give him the year off. Let the young pups try and make the playoffs and get them to the 2nd round and perhaps the ECF against Cleveland.

Let him come back next season stronger than ever.

Just no need to rush when the Warriors are around and just so good.

Seriously doubt he'll be in decent game shape by March. That's an ultra best case scenario if we're being honest.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2017, 09:18:26 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
Stevens treats Gordon like a son, he's going to tread lightly with this injury and treat him with the utmost caution. We won't see him back this year unless we beat all odds and have a deep playoff run. Then we might see him come off the bench in moderation.

Reality is, this season is a lost cause, Stevens and management won't rush him back. Gordon won't be on the court until next year.

Update - colleague just mentioned that Haywards agent said he is not coming back this year. Probably to set a realistic expectation to the fans.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 09:25:08 AM by jbpats »

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2017, 11:37:35 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Stevens treats Gordon like a son, he's going to tread lightly with this injury and treat him with the utmost caution. We won't see him back this year unless we beat all odds and have a deep playoff run. Then we might see him come off the bench in moderation.

Reality is, this season is a lost cause, Stevens and management won't rush him back. Gordon won't be on the court until next year.

Update - colleague just mentioned that Haywards agent said he is not coming back this year. Probably to set a realistic expectation to the fans.
agent didn't say that

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2017, 11:39:59 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

You need to stop listening to your colleague and then update the update.

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2017, 11:47:06 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Guys .. best decision is to shut him down for the season. Geeze some of you guys have more concern for your cars than the players. Let him heal and get stronger. He is a prized player so treat him as such. You do not want a RJIII situation here.

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2017, 12:01:25 PM »

Offline RIPRED

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 63
Guys .. best decision is to shut him down for the season. Geeze some of you guys have more concern for your cars than the players. Let him heal and get stronger. He is a prized player so treat him as such. You do not want a RJIII situation here.

He should come back when he is fully healed and ready. If that's this season, great. If it's next season, great.

« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2017, 12:11:00 PM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406

He was right based on the woj bomb.. so why the animosity?

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2017, 12:15:28 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
Agent said it's 'doubtful' that he returns this season.  Even if he does, he hasn't had any significant time getting used to playing with these guys - and their system will be much more advanced by March/April.  So even if he comes back, it won't be as a major contributor. 

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2017, 12:20:50 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Weei was reporting it's a broken fibula,  of a tibia .

Does this change the recovery timeline?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 12:30:45 PM by rondohondo »

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2017, 01:07:17 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

He was right based on the woj bomb.. so why the animosity?

No, he wasn't. The word the agent used was "unlikely". Your friend used the word "not". One has a chance of happening, albeit slim, the other has none. There is a difference.

« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2017, 01:08:19 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I see no way Danny and the FO put him on the court till next season.  He just avoided a career ending injury . 

Im just counting it good he can spend this summer getting up to,speed and go into training camp 100 ready to go for next year.

He is not the type to sit still .