Author Topic: embiid declares himself best player in world  (Read 10052 times)

Re: embiid declares himself best player in world
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2020, 04:40:02 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Remember when Paul Pierce said he's the best player in the world after winning in 2008  ;D

At least Paul Pierce had something to show for it, what has Embiid honestly done? Plus his love affair with Chick Fil A is once again intruding upon his conditioning.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2020, 04:41:01 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I expect every top 10 (or so) player to realistically believe they are the best player in the world.

He is not, but I'd be surprised if any of those guys didn't think that way.

For right now (excluding the injured players) I'd have him at 8th

1. Giannis
2. Lebron
3. Harden
4. Kawhi
5. Davis
6. Doncic
7. Jokic
8. Embiid
9. Butler
10. George

Durant and Curry are both better than Embiid if they return to health, so that would potentially drop him back 2 spots.  If he could stay healthier, I'd probably have him ahead of Jokic and maybe Doncic (though that might only be for this year).  Be hard to have him higher than Davis.

This is pretty good. But I'd have Lillard in there at 7 or 8 before Embiid.

By next year would not be surprised to to see Tatum leap frog ahead of Embiid.

In two years, add Morant.  And Zion.

Center spot is dropping like a rock in today's NBA.

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2020, 04:44:24 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
I don't even think he's the best big man. Imo, Giannis and AD are better than Embiid. There is an argument to be made for Jokic as well.

I don't think there's an argument to be made that Jokic isn't better than Embiid. IMO, the argument is whether or not Jokic is #2 or not.

CBS has said it before, your best ability is availability. Jokic hasn't missed a game, Embiid has already missed 16 games and will no doubt miss several more. Jokic has an enormous head start before you even look at what they do when playing. And when they do, everything Denver does revolves around their big man. You never know whether Embiid will be a big factor or not when you get Philly.

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2020, 04:45:25 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
I wouldn't even put him top 10.

1. Freak
2. Kawhi
3. Doncic
4. AD
5. Jokic
6. Lebron
7. Jimmy Butler
8. Harden
9. Lillard
10. PG13

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2020, 04:50:47 PM »

Offline Briantir

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 14
 :angel:

1. Freak
2. Kawhi
3. Doncic
4. AD
5. Jokic
6. Lebron
7. Jimmy Butler
8. Harden
9. Lillard
10. PG13

Kawhi is the best player in the world  he proved that last year he played Giannis one on one in the post season and out played him hands down plus Kawhi has a jumper like no other defense like no other and an ability to pretty much posterize everyone and anyone.

Joel had a 0 point game against Toronto he is bad

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2020, 05:04:18 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff

1. Freak
2. Kawhi
3. Doncic
4. AD
5. Jokic
6. Lebron
7. Jimmy Butler
8. Harden
9. Lillard
10. PG13

Kawhi is the best player in the world  he proved that last year he played Giannis one on one in the post season and out played him hands down plus Kawhi has a jumper like no other defense like no other and an ability to pretty much posterize everyone and anyone.

I think you can make a case that Kawhi is better, but overall, I don't think so.

Giannis is the most dominant player in the NBA. Kawhi is dominant on occasion, but between inconsistent play and taking nights off, Freak is consistently the better player. And when they played earlier this year, Kawhi chose to take a night off vs. face Freak. 

As far as that series, IMO, it's not that Kawhi significantly outplayed him as much as it was that Kawhi had the better supporting cast. Still does, IMO. I still think LAC is the favorite to win it all, no matter MIL's record.

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2020, 05:31:21 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

1. Freak
2. Kawhi
3. Doncic
4. AD
5. Jokic
6. Lebron
7. Jimmy Butler
8. Harden
9. Lillard
10. PG13

I think you can make a case that Kawhi is better, but overall, I don't think so.

Giannis is the most dominant player in the NBA. Kawhi is dominant on occasion, but between inconsistent play and taking nights off, Freak is consistently the better player. And when they played earlier this year, Kawhi chose to take a night off vs. face Freak. 

As far as that series, IMO, it's not that Kawhi significantly outplayed him as much as it was that Kawhi had the better supporting cast. Still does, IMO. I still think LAC is the favorite to win it all, no matter MIL's record.

I normally hate these sort of arguments because often between great players one gets into nuance and flavor.   Chocolate vs vanilla?  What is more important to you?  Length vs speed?  Hops vs strength?  Rebounding vs scoring?

My own personally biases give the edge to Kawhi, because when healthy I see him as just so much more versatile, able to affect more of the game.   Both players can score from 3 levels, but Kawhi is way more dangerous from outside.   And he is more varied in the way he attacks a defense with the ball in his hands.   And defensively, Kawhi routinely takes his man out of the offense.   

Even in the red-hot game Tatum had the other day, it was mostly against other players.   Even though he was indeed mostly guarded by Kawhi in that game (a massive 33 possessions) Tatum actually only took 3 of his shots while guarded by Kawhi.   Kawhi either denied him the ball or wouldn't give him a good look at the hoop.  All three of those shots were threes.   And that was in a game when Tatum just lit up other Clippers who guarded him.  He scored 20+ of his points against Lou, Landry & Harrel in less than 15 possessions.

Many fans look at that game as demonstrating Tatum's emergence as a super-star.    But when you look under the hood, that game also showed just how impressive Kawhi is as a defender.

But I also get a lot of the reasons why some would pick Giannis.  He's not the outside threat that Kawhi is, but he's so ridiculously hard to stop going downhill to the hoop.   And he's getting better and better as a passer.  And defensively, while he's not as versatile (Kawhi can guard fast quick guards that Giannis can't) he does have greater length which matters when you are closer to the hoop.   Kawhi is incredibly strong and can defend even the best big men at an extremely high level.  But that extra bit of length does matter and so I give an edge to GA when defending in the paint.

Both are pretty amazing.   But I'll give the edge to Kawhi for the reasons I stated.   Plus, so far, he has a far more impressive resume' of achievements.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2020, 06:01:25 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
he is allowed to belive what ever he likes

just doesn't make it necessarily true .

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2020, 07:49:36 PM »

Offline ausbacker

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 39
His best is as dominant as the best in the league the problem however, is health and consistency. It doesn't matter if you show it in pockets, it needs to be an every day thing.

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2020, 07:57:23 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
His best is as dominant as the best in the league the problem however, is health and consistency. It doesn't matter if you show it in pockets, it needs to be an every day thing.
Very true. Usually to be considered the best you have got to be able to bring it everyday and want to bring it everyday, every game. Not play 3 out of every four games and bring it in just 7 out of every 8 games you do play in.

« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2020, 08:01:41 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Very true. Usually to be considered the best you have got to be able to bring it everyday and want to bring it everyday, every game. Not play 3 out of every four games and bring it in just 7 out of every 8 games you do play in.
You mean like Kawhi? :P

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2020, 08:09:14 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Sure. I guess, though I personally have never considered Kawhi the league's best player.

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2020, 08:36:57 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Sure. I guess, though I personally have never considered Kawhi the league's best player.
In any case, Kawhi isn't exactly an ironman, yet many fans consider him the best player in the league.

Embiid started playing in 2016-2017. Since then, he has played 13 more regular season games than Kawhi. Since 2017-2018 (the last 3 seasons), Embiid has played 56 more regular season games than Kawhi!

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2020, 10:53:19 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 88
Theis putting up Embiid level numbers tonight: 25-16.

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2020, 10:59:52 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
In any case, Kawhi isn't exactly an ironman, yet many fans consider him the best player in the league.

Embiid started playing in 2016-2017. Since then, he has played 13 more regular season games than Kawhi. Since 2017-2018 (the last 3 seasons), Embiid has played 56 more regular season games than Kawhi!
Kawhi missed virtually an entire season with whatever was going on with him in SA, which makes your stat pretty irrelevant, especially with you glossing over the fact Embiid missed 2.5 of his first 3 seasons. Dude's been in the league, drawing a salary, eating cap space, since 2014. We don't get to act like playing 30 games in 3 years never happened.