Author Topic: Is signing a near max player the best way to develop Tatum and Brown?  (Read 2787 times)

Re: Is signing a near max player the best way to develop Tatum and Brown?
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2019, 12:07:21 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
brogdon or Vucevic I would be ok with spending money on, as they are both still young enough to fit the Jays timeline, but good enough to pick up some slack should the jays have an off night.

We need to use some money to grab another asset that fits their timeline, like thomas bryant.

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2019, 12:10:31 PM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62
Rondo would be the perfect starting PG for this team... a pass-first point guard that can instill Celtic-pride that is a coach on the floor, and can ensure each player gets his number of shots.

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2019, 12:21:00 PM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
Rondo would be the perfect starting PG for this team... a pass-first point guard that can instill Celtic-pride that is a coach on the floor, and can ensure each player gets his number of shots.

I was thinking about Rondo on the team yesterday and Cs should probably pass on Rondo. If things go bad Rondo will be a team cancer. Also you can't play him with Smart. You could(great defense duo) but we'd have no outside shooting.

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2019, 12:22:04 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Use the max slot for several one or two year deals that expire before the 2021 FA summer

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2019, 12:24:04 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I think Vucevic would be good for them (Jaylen & Tatum).

He did a lot to open up Orlando's offense (outside shooting & high post passing more so than his post ups) and help their offensively limited supporting cast do better than one would expect.

Heck, he even made DJ Augustin look an okay PG.

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2019, 12:29:53 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
Use the max slot for several one or two year deals that expire before the 2021 FA summer

realistically would have capspace in 2021, so why have them expire?

I mean with both Brown and Tatum set for raises, all the rookie deals between now and then, and some MLE signings you would not have the space to go after a max free agent.

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2019, 12:34:04 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Is signing a near max player the best way to develop Tatum and Brown?

To go back to the question - yes, I do signing good players is the best way to develop Tatum and Jaylen. Not necessarily a max guy. They could split it between 2 players or something.

But they do need help ... they are too exposed right now. No PG to facilitate the offense. No big man spacing. No rebounding help to get the team extra possessions.

Again, too exposed. They will have to do everything by themselves. They need more help. Guys to get them easier shot attempts. Guys to back them up on defense. Proper spacing to attack effectively. They do not have these things as things stand now and it will slow down their development.

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2019, 12:43:16 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
I hate the probable loss of Horford.  Not just for the top 4 seed in the east level he would provide the team, but the fit where he opens up space that allows Tatum and Brown to grow. 

I look at a lot of the suggested signings, but I don't see the advantage that helps those two the space on the floor to grow.  The Celtics do not need a ball dominant guard at near max.   They do not need a low post threat at near max. 

The Celtics need the floor stretching big man.  Think a Brook Lopez (at a one to two year average salary) 

A vet PF that could start but those young Celtics PF have a chance to challenge. 

A pass first PG that comes off the bench. 

With that said, I would still try to resign Rozier on a short term deal.   Let see if he fits with Brown and Tatum as he showed two years ago or just as a trade piece.   

I want the Celtics to be good, but I am against spending near max money for "good" players instead of "near star to star" players.

Did you see Julius Randle’s shooting last year?  He has improved as a 3 point threat and is only 24, he could be the future with them.  Additionally he can rebound, his defense is still mediocre at best but a team with Smart,  Brown, Tatum, Randle could all develop together and be a scary team for years to come. 
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2019, 12:45:10 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I hate the probable loss of Horford.  Not just for the top 4 seed in the east level he would provide the team, but the fit where he opens up space that allows Tatum and Brown to grow. 

I look at a lot of the suggested signings, but I don't see the advantage that helps those two the space on the floor to grow.  The Celtics do not need a ball dominant guard at near max.   They do not need a low post threat at near max. 

The Celtics need the floor stretching big man.  Think a Brook Lopez (at a one to two year average salary) 

A vet PF that could start but those young Celtics PF have a chance to challenge. 

With that said, I would still try to resign Rozier on a short term deal.   Let see if he fits with Brown and Tatum as he showed two years ago or just as a trade piece.   

I want the Celtics to be good, but I am against spending near max money for "good" players instead of "near star to star" players.

Did you see Julius Randle’s shooting last year?  He has improved as a 3 point threat and is only 24, he could be the future with them.  Additionally he can rebound, his defense is still mediocre at best but a team with Smart,  Brown, Tatum, Randle could all develop together and be a scary team for years to come.

But is he worth near max?

I want to add good players, but not overpaying.

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2019, 12:46:01 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell

Smart
Brown
Tatum
Randle
Bryant

is my top 3 realsitic starting lineup next season.
I would prefer Brogdon over smart and Vucevic over Randle, but that is super slim chances of happening. Lighting in a bottle slim.

« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2019, 12:46:48 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

But is he worth near max?

I want to add good players, but not overpaying.
He is in a vacuum, but I'm not sure about his fit here in Boston unless he keeps on improving his three point shooting and fixes his defense.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2019, 12:56:29 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Can someone tell me how much money Boston will have this offseason including the max slot, the MLE, etc?

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2019, 01:01:19 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
Can someone tell me how much money Boston will have this offseason including the max slot, the MLE, etc?

If everyone is renounced looking at 30 or so million. (after picks are signed at 100% the value) and would only have room MLE with is half of the full MLE

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2019, 01:03:35 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349

Edit: Silky beat me

« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2019, 01:04:34 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Do they still have the Biannual exception?