Author Topic: Rockets Are Shopping Capela  (Read 22111 times)

Re: Rockets Are Shopping Capela
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2020, 10:07:41 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I'm just nervous that the Rockets are so ready to trade Capela at this point. Especially since he's hurt atm.

Not to mention I don't see a deal that adds him without taking away a vital piece of our current rotation. The Celtics are playing as the second best team in the league overall, I don't want to do something to break that just add a rotation piece.

« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2020, 11:00:40 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I'm just nervous that the Rockets are so ready to trade Capela at this point. Especially since he's hurt atm.

Not to mention I don't see a deal that adds him without taking away a vital piece of our current rotation. The Celtics are playing as the second best team in the league overall, I don't want to do something to break that just add a rotation piece.
I think that's a very fair question regarding why are the Rockets ready to trade him?  If he's that good, why move him and create a significant vacuum at center for their team?  There's no one on their bench close to what he provides them at that position so it's not like it's a position of depth for them.

is he too badly injured to be effective the rest of the season?  are his stats/defense not as good as they appear to those not following that team (or part of their coaching staff)? 

« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2020, 11:05:31 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

I think that's a very fair question regarding why are the Rockets ready to trade him?  If he's that good, why move him and create a significant vacuum at center for their team?  There's no one on their bench close to what he provides them at that position so it's not like it's a position of depth for them.

is he too badly injured to be effective the rest of the season?  are his stats/defense not as good as they appear to those not following that team (or part of their coaching staff)?

Then again, a player who's constantly on and off the injury list might fit right in...?  ::)

« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2020, 11:18:05 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467

Then again, a player who's constantly on and off the injury list might fit right in...?  ::)

The only way they C's could get Capela is a 3 team deal.  They can send out Porier and Kanter take in a contract closer to Capela's and send that player and draft compensation to the Rockets.   While this would help I ask is he that much of an upgrade over Theis.  Theis is cheap and has been playing extremely well.  Too bad Rob got hurt or we'd know if we already had our Capela.  I think if Rob Williams is healthy it's better to move Kanter and Porier for a guy like Bogdan Bodganovic.  He would be tremendous off the bench.  I also like the addition of Saric as well.  If anyone gets moved it will be from the Kanter/Porier group.  The C's will have to move 2-3 players to get one back that will most likely be on an expiring deal.  Dangle the milwaukee pick and upgrade.  Just don't disturb team chemistry.  Moving too many pieces can hurt a locker room.

« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2020, 11:22:06 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Probably just part of D'Antoni's never ending quest to have an all PG lineup.  'Defense' might as well be a four letter cuss word as far as he is concerned.

« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2020, 11:31:26 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

I think it is just that the Rockets have nobody else on their roster outside of Harden & Westbrook that have any trade value. Their only avenue to improving the team in the trade market is with Capela.

They have lost lots of their picks too with that Westbrook trade.

Their trade cabinet is EMPTY.

Desperate people do desperate things ... and Houston are most surely a desperate team.

« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2020, 11:33:38 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Probably just part of D'Antoni's never ending quest to have an all PG lineup.  'Defense' might as well be a four letter cuss word as far as he is concerned.

That would make more sense if D’Antoni were the GM, or at least a coach who has a contract for next season.  Neither is true, however.  Not sure it makes too much sense to trade a defensive stalwart center on a submarket contract for three more seasons to please a coach who may very well be gone in three months.  It’s not like the Rockets are otherwise loaded at center — it feels like there is some reason why he’s been on the trading block more than once.

« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2020, 11:43:52 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
I feel like Capela makes Boston the team to beat in the East.

East is wide open. No top teams in the East. Boston are right there already. Adding a guy like good solid big man like Capela could give them that little extra to move them ahead of the pack.

« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2020, 11:53:08 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

East is wide open. No top teams in the East. Boston are right there already. Adding a guy like good solid big man like Capela could give them that little extra to move them ahead of the pack.

Um, I like the Green kool-aid as much as about anyone, but the Bucks are historically good this year.  Doesn’t mean they’re unbeatable, but to call the East wide open and without any top teams is, well, outside of reality.

Acquiring Capela without giving up a key player would likely move the Celtics to a different tier than the Raptors, Heat, Sixers, and Pacers, but in no way propels them to “top team in the East” status.

« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2020, 11:53:16 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
They were trying to move him last summer as well and he has played great since then. I don't see what the injury has to do with this.

The Rockets became the first team in 57 years to play a game without using a player taller than 6'6''! They beat the Mavs (without Doncic) 128-121 in that game. I bet they really believe that ''small ball'' is the way to go.

« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2020, 11:55:24 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Don't need another player that stay hurt more than healthy .

i sure don't want him if he is already broken

« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2020, 12:15:30 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I would be very hesitant to mess with the on-court mixture that this team has going right now.

The chemistry has been great and they've won some big games against quality opponents. 

Let's not mess with a good thing and see where this leads.

Adding a couple of bench pieces, I'm fine with that.  But I don't like the idea of making a significant  change to the top 5-6.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2020, 12:21:45 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
They were trying to move him last summer as well and he has played great since then. I don't see what the injury has to do with this.

The Rockets became the first team in 57 years to play a game without using a player taller than 6'6''! They beat the Mavs (without Doncic) 128-121 in that game. I bet they really believe that ''small ball'' is the way to go.

I wonder if part it is that they do not believe Westbrook can work with a paint-only big man like Capela. That they need to get another shooter on the floor to compensate for Westbrook's subpar outside shooting.

Whether that shooter is a big guy or a forward.

That they have to make that offensive adjustment to have any chance of winning in the postseason with a roster built around Westbrook.

« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2020, 12:23:26 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

Um, I like the Green kool-aid as much as about anyone, but the Bucks are historically good this year.  Doesn’t mean they’re unbeatable, but to call the East wide open and without any top teams is, well, outside of reality.

Acquiring Capela without giving up a key player would likely move the Celtics to a different tier than the Raptors, Heat, Sixers, and Pacers, but in no way propels them to “top team in the East” status.

The Bucks are a "historically good" regular season team. That does not mean they will be a historically good postseason team.

They were a historically good regular season team last year too when they lost to a very good but unexceptional Toronto team.

That they got a lot to prove.

« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2020, 12:24:42 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Good point Who. Westbrook clearly has been more productive since he stopped chucking so many 3s. A Cappella trade might be designed to reorient around that concept of Westbrook being the only non-shooter on the floor instead of Cappella.