Author Topic: Draymond for Gordon, who says no?  (Read 9249 times)

Re: Draymond for Gordon, who says no?
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2020, 04:08:36 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Honestly, it's not a bad idea. I do think Hayward is a slight bit more valuable than Green, so I might want some minor draft pick compensation coming back Boston's way, but Dray does offer more of what this team needs than what Gordy brings, who is mostly just a redundant piece on the Celtics.

Unfortunately, I don't see any way Dray and Jaylen Brown would get along. It's becoming rather apparent Brown is a bit of a turd and has a hard time dealing with other strong personalities. Dray is no peach either, so I'd be rather worried about the lockeroom chemistry.

But these are the types of trades we should be exploring. The fact that our 5 best players really can't share the court often enough (due to positional overlap) is an issue that will need to be confronted at some point.

Huh?? We're really establishing that just because of Kyrie?

Yeah, what is the basis for Jaylen being a difficult personality other than his blowback on Irving - for which I applaud him. He seemed the only player on the team with the courage to speak up about that cancer of a teammate. No one else has been honest enough, to this day, to tell the truth about Irving.

Actually, Brown has defended Irving. His primary issue with Irving was Kyrie going to the media. Actually Brown started playing better when he focused in his own play rather than keep on pouting and complaining (Im looking at your Rozier).

« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2020, 07:12:57 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Last year I would have said yes but the way Tatum is developing as a defender and rebounder along with strength I now feel he will be good staying at the 4.

Having three guys (JB, JT and GH) who can defend and score at above average levels in 3 out 5 positions is huge. Let's hope we can keep them together a few more years.

I hope we can get Hayward to sign at close to what Brown did.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 08:01:32 AM by Csfan1984 »

« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2020, 09:20:35 AM »

Offline greenhead85

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 35
This season is just an aberration, or a hiatus, for the Dubs. The core 3 will be back next season with the team retooled. They got themselves to 5 straight title appearances and the same 3 will be their anchor for 3-5 more title runs. Draymond's role to the Dubs wouldn't be replicated or supplanted by an even very healthy GH. Maybe if we are also giving them Timelord or Brown, they would.

I just don't see this trade proposal happening soon.

« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2020, 12:54:49 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
This season is just an aberration, or a hiatus, for the Dubs. The core 3 will be back next season with the team retooled. They got themselves to 5 straight title appearances and the same 3 will be their anchor for 3-5 more title runs. Draymond's role to the Dubs wouldn't be replicated or supplanted by an even very healthy GH. Maybe if we are also giving them Timelord or Brown, they would.

5 more years? That’s pretty ambitious.

« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2020, 03:01:22 PM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353

Even a healthy Warriors team isn’t sniffing a title anytime soon.  Green has been proven to be extremely overrated.  He’s not an all-star  He’s a good complementary player who’s vastly overpaid

« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2020, 04:12:44 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106

Even a healthy Warriors team isn’t sniffing a title anytime soon.  Green has been proven to be extremely overrated.  He’s not an all-star  He’s a good complementary player who’s vastly overpaid
You mean the 73 win team? 🤔

« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2020, 05:00:09 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

They’re not at all the same team that they once were.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2020, 06:58:23 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Computer says 'No'!!!!

« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2020, 08:19:54 PM »

Offline greenhead85

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 35

The two guards will still remain All-Star level talents in the next 3 years. Draymond remains a very valuable rotation player. They know their coach's playbook by heart. Though they need another player like a quick, strong big rim protector to bring their game to a higher level.

« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2020, 09:13:50 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

The two guards will still remain All-Star level talents in the next 3 years. Draymond remains a very valuable rotation player. They know their coach's playbook by heart. Though they need another player like a quick, strong big rim protector to bring their game to a higher level.
They were (in my opinion) at their best when they had a bruising playmaking 5 (Bogut) who could reduce Draymond’s load during the season, and still provide that high pick-n-roll offence. They also don’t have the wing defence they once did (Iggy, and to a lesser extent Barnes) nor the MVP talent Durant provided. Further key losses like Livingston hurt them further.

Paschall is good. Alec Burks is too. If they can trade D-Lo for someone like a passing defensive minded 5 (no idea who - just don’t like Klay as a permanent 3) they’re in good shape, but as it stands fully healthy I don’t know that they’re better than the LA teams. Dallas with their upcoming max FA slot could also jump them

« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2020, 11:21:28 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550

They were (in my opinion) at their best when they had a bruising playmaking 5 (Bogut) who could reduce Draymond’s load during the season, and still provide that high pick-n-roll offence. They also don’t have the wing defence they once did (Iggy, and to a lesser extent Barnes) nor the MVP talent Durant provided. Further key losses like Livingston hurt them further.

Paschall is good. Alec Burks is too. If they can trade D-Lo for someone like a passing defensive minded 5 (no idea who - just don’t like Klay as a permanent 3) they’re in good shape, but as it stands fully healthy I don’t know that they’re better than the LA teams. Dallas with their upcoming max FA slot could also jump them

Thing is the team won't be "as stands." They are gonna have some nice trade pieces including a young all star with a large salary for matching, a top 5 pick, and a 17.18 million trade exception from the Iggy trade. They could easily turn that into at least 2 very good players.

A D-Rus for Covington or Aaron Gordon with a pick thrown in for example would get them a nice wing athlete. Then they could flip that pick and/or their own lottery pick for another guy making under 17.18 million using the trade exception.

T the original question  I think I'd rather just have Hayward. But its a fascinating thought and not as bad as the Drummond for Hayward ideas.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 11:27:18 PM by keevsnick »

« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2020, 11:46:06 PM »

Offline Valid

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
I think anyone that cares about improving the Celtics says no.
I very much care about improving the Celtics and would reply with an emphatic yes to that hypothetical trade :laugh:
Yeah maybe three years ago.

Have you watched Draymond the last couple of years? He's not even close to the same player he once was.

And my goodness, do Celtics fans underrate Hayward, who is legions better than Green at this stage.

« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2020, 03:15:43 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I very much care about improving the Celtics and would reply with an emphatic yes to that hypothetical trade :laugh:

Have you watched Draymond the last couple of years? He's not even close to the same player he once was.

And my goodness, do Celtics fans underrate Hayward, who is legions better than Green at this stage.
This wouldn't even be a discussion three years ago.

Have you watched Draymond in that 2016 season? He was a top 10 player that year with his DPOY level defence combined with excellent big man passing and efficient mid-high volume 3 point shooting. He's dropped off quite a bit the past couple of years, but his defence and passing have largely remained intact, which still makes him a very valuable player whose skillset scales higher and higher up the more talented his teammates are.

And my goodness, do Celtics fans overrate Hayward, who's still an inferior player to Green even at this stage.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2020, 03:42:38 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

This wouldn't even be a discussion three years ago.

Have you watched Draymond in that 2016 season? He was a top 10 player that year with his DPOY level defence combined with excellent big man passing and efficient mid-high volume 3 point shooting. He's dropped off quite a bit the past couple of years, but his defence and passing have largely remained intact, which still makes him a very valuable player whose skillset scales higher and higher up the more talented his teammates are.

And my goodness, do Celtics fans overrate Hayward, who's still an inferior player to Green even at this stage.
One Marcus Smart-level efficiency is enough - it’s sometimes too much even. We don’t need two. Also don’t agree that Green is better than Hayward at all, his offence has regressed massively as has his athleticism. 

« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2020, 03:53:52 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Draymond was always a product of his environment. Placed in the middle of a superb team and he shines. Put him at the helm of a bad team, and he’s elite at nothing. He’s a fine player I suppose, but would never be an all-star if not for being surrounded by two all-time-great shooters.
CELTICS 2024