Author Topic: Draymond for Gordon, who says no?  (Read 9255 times)

Re: Draymond for Gordon, who says no?
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2020, 11:44:03 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Honestly, it's not a bad idea. I do think Hayward is a slight bit more valuable than Green, so I might want some minor draft pick compensation coming back Boston's way, but Dray does offer more of what this team needs than what Gordy brings, who is mostly just a redundant piece on the Celtics.

Unfortunately, I don't see any way Dray and Jaylen Brown would get along. It's becoming rather apparent Brown is a bit of a turd and has a hard time dealing with other strong personalities. Dray is no peach either, so I'd be rather worried about the lockeroom chemistry.

But these are the types of trades we should be exploring. The fact that our 5 best players really can't share the court often enough (due to positional overlap) is an issue that will need to be confronted at some point.

Huh?? We're really establishing that just because of Kyrie?

Also, Draymond is overrated, and always has been. Great role player, that's about it. Never understood the love for him in trade rumors that get posted here.
Yeah, I am not getting the JB is being a turd thing. In the slamonline article about the photoshoot it looks like he gets along great with Smart, Kemba and Hayward and was on good terms with Tatum.

Where is him being a turd coming from?

I actually have a higher regard for him for how he behaved last year. More players should have had a problem with some of the "strong personalities" in the locker room.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 11:50:00 AM by td450 »

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2020, 11:48:13 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
Golden State every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Draymond's skillset is so additive for good teams, he'd be amazing on the Celtics.

I could see Golden State making the trade if Paschall makes the leap next season and if they fail to find wing help with DLO/their 1st this year, but man they'd be giving up quite a bit of value if it's a straight up swap.

Yeah, that must be why the Warriors are peaking at 10-39 right now  ::)

Draymond never has and never will carry a team. He's not even an upgrade from Smart right now.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2020, 12:00:02 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Dray looked out of shape, easily guard able and ineffective on offense and nothing close to the defender he was just 2-3 years ago

Hard pass on him, especially given that it looks like Hayward may have turned a corner and become the core piece Stevens and Ainge always envisioned him to be.

People are sleeping on this three wing offense. The league has a massive shortage of elite two-way wings and we have three. The mismatches the Cs will create as this group plays more and more together and get their chemistry down will be scary.

And the defense is starting to look like it's becoming elite. I don't see Draymond making it better right now, neither in the shape Green is in nor the way he is playing the game.
I think the offence is because he really can't shoot all that much on an offensively inept Golden State squad. His strength on offence is his complementary playmaking and fastbreak prowess, both of which a poor offensive team can't really use, ntm he tore a ligament in his left index finger this season and has been playing through it.

As for his defence, I think he's just banged up this season. Aside from his torn finger ligament, he's been dealing with various knocks on places like his elbow, heel and ankle this season. He's still a massive positive on defence with his sound positioning and DIQ though, he'll still buoy our defence a couple of notches at least and maybe even more as he heals up a bit come playoff time.

Obviously I appreciate how Hayward upgrades our offence, but Draymond would really tighten up our already good defence and allow us to get away with smaller lineups while amplifying the offence of guys like Walker/Brown/Tatum. Adding another good shooter/scorer with assets like the Milwaukee 1st would give us a pretty nasty two way death lineup if we decide to go small (and tbh it's probably how we'll win games in the playoffs anyways unless we're facing massive teams like the Sixers or Lakers).
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2020, 12:01:08 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Golden State every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Draymond's skillset is so additive for good teams, he'd be amazing on the Celtics.

I could see Golden State making the trade if Paschall makes the leap next season and if they fail to find wing help with DLO/their 1st this year, but man they'd be giving up quite a bit of value if it's a straight up swap.

Draymond never has and never will carry a team. He's not even an upgrade from Smart right now.
We don't need a guy to carry us though, we need a guy who can make our already good players even better with versatile defence and nice complementary playmaking. And eh that's a bit of hyperbole, his ability to defend as a big holds quite a bit more defensive value than Smart.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2020, 12:03:27 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Hard pass on Draymond. I think we lose that trade.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2020, 12:09:43 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Obviously Draymond can’t carry a team. I think that’s been exposed. Similarly, I don’t think Hayward can carry a team anymore either so I don’t know why this is even being brought up as if it was some valid point. I shudder to think what our record would be with just Smart and Hayward as our two best players (no Kemba, Tatum or Jaylen).

But it wasn’t too long ago that all these teams were looking for their next “Draymond Green”. It just might be hard to see his value  on a tanking GSW.
- LilRip

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2020, 12:35:22 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Honestly, it's not a bad idea. I do think Hayward is a slight bit more valuable than Green, so I might want some minor draft pick compensation coming back Boston's way, but Dray does offer more of what this team needs than what Gordy brings, who is mostly just a redundant piece on the Celtics.

Unfortunately, I don't see any way Dray and Jaylen Brown would get along. It's becoming rather apparent Brown is a bit of a turd and has a hard time dealing with other strong personalities. Dray is no peach either, so I'd be rather worried about the lockeroom chemistry.

But these are the types of trades we should be exploring. The fact that our 5 best players really can't share the court often enough (due to positional overlap) is an issue that will need to be confronted at some point.

Huh?? We're really establishing that just because of Kyrie?

Also, Draymond is overrated, and always has been. Great role player, that's about it. Never understood the love for him in trade rumors that get posted here.
Yeah, I am not getting the JB is being a turd thing. In the slamonline article about the photoshoot it looks like he gets along great with Smart, Kemba and Hayward and was on good terms with Tatum.

Where is him being a turd coming from?

Tatum just recently spoke about how close he and Jaylen have become.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2020, 12:41:22 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Oh, and I say, "No", too.

I suspect both teams would say, "No", as well.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2020, 12:47:34 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
This is a rational trade proposal.  I would turn it down because I just don't want to trade Hayward, or any of our other core players. Call me sentimental.

Also would worry that Green would not fit into our team culture. He is notorious for calling out KD publicly, and that just don't fly here. It didn't with KD, either.

I admit that the fit would be pretty darn good, from a positional POV.

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2020, 12:59:52 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I think the Celtics brass think they have enough bigs on their roster right now. I think they think highly of Grant Williams, Daniel Theis, Enes Kanter, and especially Robert Williams.

The injury to Robert Williams affected this season. They wanted to start him this year. They wanted him to provide 20 minutes of high level disruptive (even if not fundamentally sound rotations) defense and rolling to the hoop. Theis fills in for 15 as a solid backup. Kanter is a scoring/rebounding machine. Grant Williams can be developed as a small ball center and heady-low-usage 3/4 role player.

And I think they took a flier on Poirier. I see what they liked, but so far he hasn't proven much. That play late in the game last night where he got vertical and swallowed up the driver was awesome. I think that's what they wanted from him. At the very least, they signed him for the max they could to give them salary filler for a trade. 

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2020, 01:11:25 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
GSW would never do the deal.

The deal isn't feasible. Not quite as absurd as asking 'Gordon for Freak, who's with me??!!' I've not seen a single one of these trade scenarios that has a chance of happening, and most of them would not make us a better team. We've had one of our top 5 players out almost the entire year. We'd have been in a world of hurt in many of these games without Gordon. There are precious few moves that make us a better team without Gordon Hayward.

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2020, 01:30:08 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I think anyone that cares about improving the Celtics says no.
I very much care about improving the Celtics and would reply with an emphatic yes to that hypothetical trade :laugh:
horrible trade.  good thing you're just "Somebody" and not "anyone" which is who'd be against it  ;)

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2020, 02:02:44 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969

Only thing Draymond is carrying these days .....KFC chicken bucket

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2020, 02:14:53 PM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
Hypothetically, Draymond is exactly the caliber of player that could make this team into a title contender. Former DPOY, consistent 1st Team Defense, strength, defensive versatility, excellent passer, high motor, and, at times, respectable 3PT shooting. There's a reason that he's one of the best small ball 5's of this era, but after this past season, chemistry is major concern for anyone following this team. Draymond's strong and fiery personality has been great for GS because of the personalities (meaning that they're able to overcome or ignore his tantrums) and Kerr and Curry's leadership. I wouldn't want him on one of the youngest team's in the league, potentially causing a rift in the locker room.

I have and will continue to say that if the Celtics are going to pivot from Hayward, they have to take a good look at Aaron Gordon (Orlando would have to include another player/asset). Kevin O'Connor included him in a recent piece. He's been miscast as a 3 in Orlando when he has the potential to be what Draymond is, an above average 4 that can play small ball 5 and unlock a death lineup. He also fits the team's timeline.

I think that unless Hayward wants to leave, the team should stand pat. This team will go as Tatum and Brown go and not a moment too soon. Hayward for X scenarios are interesting, but unless the X is a real game changer that can play the 4 or 5, it's a waste of time.

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2020, 02:22:19 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Dray looked out of shape, easily guard able and ineffective on offense and nothing close to the defender he was just 2-3 years ago

Hard pass on him, especially given that it looks like Hayward may have turned a corner and become the core piece Stevens and Ainge always envisioned him to be.

People are sleeping on this three wing offense. The league has a massive shortage of elite two-way wings and we have three. The mismatches the Cs will create as this group plays more and more together and get their chemistry down will be scary.

And the defense is starting to look like it's becoming elite. I don't see Draymond making it better right now, neither in the shape Green is in nor the way he is playing the game.
I think the offence is because he really can't shoot all that much on an offensively inept Golden State squad. His strength on offence is his complementary playmaking and fastbreak prowess, both of which a poor offensive team can't really use, ntm he tore a ligament in his left index finger this season and has been playing through it.

As for his defence, I think he's just banged up this season. Aside from his torn finger ligament, he's been dealing with various knocks on places like his elbow, heel and ankle this season. He's still a massive positive on defence with his sound positioning and DIQ though, he'll still buoy our defence a couple of notches at least and maybe even more as he heals up a bit come playoff time.

Obviously I appreciate how Hayward upgrades our offence, but Draymond would really tighten up our already good defence and allow us to get away with smaller lineups while amplifying the offence of guys like Walker/Brown/Tatum. Adding another good shooter/scorer with assets like the Milwaukee 1st would give us a pretty nasty two way death lineup if we decide to go small (and tbh it's probably how we'll win games in the playoffs anyways unless we're facing massive teams like the Sixers or Lakers).

Agree with this. Green is banged up some, and he's out of role on that roster. He's a genius with players that can shoot and know how to cut and move; he can't do that with the kids on the GSW roster and he's never been a guy who wants to score 25 every night.  He's also not putting out 100% effort, and yeah he's definitely over his ideal weight. He's 29 or 30; he's not selling out this year to lift the team from worst in the NBA to, like, 6th worst. Next year Curry and Klay are back, and the front office will have a very high draft pick to play with. They're planning to contend next year.

If we could swap 2018-19 Draymond for 2020 Hayward, I don't think there's much argument he raises the team's basketball potential. On the right team, he's just a great playmaker and defender. You're not giving Hayward for garbage, but another really good player who fits. I just don't know if we would get 2018-19 Dray or how he'd mesh with the Js. His personality is ... extra.