Author Topic: Draymond for Gordon, who says no?  (Read 9251 times)

Draymond for Gordon, who says no?
« on: January 31, 2020, 10:22:51 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
GH has been balling recently. DG? Not so much but he has proven himself on the big stage. Both are about the same age. DG isn’t quite on the max but is close enough and is tied up long term. GH isn’t likely to get the max in his next contract but should get something fairly close to it as well.

C’s gain a lot of defensive versatility if they trot out a starting 5 of Kemba-Smart-Brown-Tatum-Draymond. He’s a decent spot up shooter and is used to a system that emphasizes moving the ball.

Meanwhile Warriors gain another playmaker/scorer who would be a perfect “low-ish usage” #3/4 option on offense. GH is a much better shot creator and could carry an offense if defenses key in on Steph/Klay next year.

Would you do it? Would the Warriors?
- LilRip

Re: Draymond for Gordon, who says no?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2020, 10:45:37 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Shaqattack

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2020, 10:51:02 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!
Phantom255x
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2020, 10:59:05 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Honestly, it's not a bad idea. I do think Hayward is a slight bit more valuable than Green, so I might want some minor draft pick compensation coming back Boston's way, but Dray does offer more of what this team needs than what Gordy brings, who is mostly just a redundant piece on the Celtics.

Unfortunately, I don't see any way Dray and Jaylen Brown would get along. It's becoming rather apparent Brown is a bit of a turd and has a hard time dealing with other strong personalities. Dray is no peach either, so I'd be rather worried about the lockeroom chemistry.

But these are the types of trades we should be exploring. The fact that our 5 best players really can't share the court often enough (due to positional overlap) is an issue that will need to be confronted at some point.

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2020, 11:04:16 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Both teams.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2020, 11:08:58 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I didn't like it at first but that lineup mentioned by the OP with Draymond as a small ball center and Smart in the lineup is freakin' awesome.

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2020, 11:20:35 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
I don't know much about Draymond's health and I'm a little concerned about his personality meshing with the team; he seems to be a heck of a big personality, and I'm not sure how Kemba and the Js would take to him. But if Ainge and co. were satisfied on those points it could make a lot of sense for the Cs from a basketball perspective. He's proven his ability to defend at center and he's a genius-level passer and playmaker.

I've objected to trade ideas that would swap Hayward for a marginal upgrade over Kanter, or even a sideways move (hello, Andre Drummond). This is different. TP for a trade idea that I haven't actually heard before.

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2020, 11:28:37 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!
Honestly, it's not a bad idea. I do think Hayward is a slight bit more valuable than Green, so I might want some minor draft pick compensation coming back Boston's way, but Dray does offer more of what this team needs than what Gordy brings, who is mostly just a redundant piece on the Celtics.

Unfortunately, I don't see any way Dray and Jaylen Brown would get along. It's becoming rather apparent Brown is a bit of a turd and has a hard time dealing with other strong personalities. Dray is no peach either, so I'd be rather worried about the lockeroom chemistry.

But these are the types of trades we should be exploring. The fact that our 5 best players really can't share the court often enough (due to positional overlap) is an issue that will need to be confronted at some point.

Huh?? We're really establishing that just because of Kyrie?

Also, Draymond is overrated, and always has been. Great role player, that's about it. Never understood the love for him in trade rumors that get posted here.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2020, 11:30:14 AM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I do.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2020, 11:31:38 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Golden State every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Draymond's skillset is so additive for good teams, he'd be amazing on the Celtics.

I could see Golden State making the trade if Paschall makes the leap next season and if they fail to find wing help with DLO/their 1st this year, but man they'd be giving up quite a bit of value if it's a straight up swap.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2020, 11:34:16 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Also, Draymond is overrated, and always has been. Great role player, that's about it. Never understood the love for him in trade rumors that get posted here.
Yeah, I am not getting the JB is being a turd thing. In the slamonline article about the photoshoot it looks like he gets along great with Smart, Kemba and Hayward and was on good terms with Tatum.

Where is him being a turd coming from?

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2020, 11:35:28 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I think anyone that cares about improving the Celtics says no.

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2020, 11:36:55 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

Yeah, I am not getting the JB is being a turd thing. In the slamonline article about the photoshoot it looks like he gets along great with Smart, Kemba and Hayward and was on good terms with Tatum.

Where is him being a turd coming from?
Probably the good old "concern" of him being "too smart for his own good" before the 2016 draft. It's nuts how people think that Jaylen's intellect might be detrimental to teams.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2020, 11:39:07 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
I think anyone that cares about improving the Celtics says no.
I very much care about improving the Celtics and would reply with an emphatic yes to that hypothetical trade :laugh:
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2020, 11:41:17 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Dray looked out of shape, easily guard able and ineffective on offense and nothing close to the defender he was just 2-3 years ago

Hard pass on him, especially given that it looks like Hayward may have turned a corner and become the core piece Stevens and Ainge always envisioned him to be.

People are sleeping on this three wing offense. The league has a massive shortage of elite two-way wings and we have three. The mismatches the Cs will create as this group plays more and more together and get their chemistry down will be scary.

And the defense is starting to look like it's becoming elite. I don't see Draymond making it better right now, neither in the shape Green is in nor the way he is playing the game.