Author Topic: Nerlens Noel?  (Read 4900 times)

Re: Nerlens Noel?
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2020, 11:37:03 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Feel like this is an annual thread at this stage, lol.
I think I may have started 3 of those threads. 😇
And, tbh, rightly so. Especially considering your personal knowledge of him.

He’s a high energy athletic rim-runner who can defend all over the court. I’d love him! Just not sure if Stevens / DA want him
I hope he has better people around him.

My son tells me knew a couple of the guys that Nerlens ran with when he was in Philly and Dallas and said they were bad news/massive losers/pot heads/hanger on-ers that only caused problems. Kinda matches a lot of reports about those years.

He had so much more potential but I guess he just wasn't driven enough or smart enough or both to develop into his best version of himself. Too bad. Still would be cool to see him playing a role here in Boston though.

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2020, 11:48:23 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

He’s a high energy athletic rim-runner who can defend all over the court. I’d love him! Just not sure if Stevens / DA want him

My son tells me knew a couple of the guys that Nerlens ran with when he was in Philly and Dallas and said they were bad news/massive losers/pot heads/hanger on-ers that only caused problems. Kinda matches a lot of reports about those years.

He had so much more potential but I guess he just wasn't driven enough or smart enough or both to develop into his best version of himself. Too bad. Still would be cool to see him playing a role here in Boston though.
For sure - the people a young player is surrounded by really have a big impact on how they develop. It sucks that Noel got injured AND was surrounded by such people.

If he got here I feel like he could turn it around. Brad brings out the best in players, and leaders like Smart would be good for him I imagine
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2020, 11:56:49 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

For sure - the people a young player is surrounded by really have a big impact on how they develop. It sucks that Noel got injured AND was surrounded by such people.

If he got here I feel like he could turn it around. Brad brings out the best in players, and leaders like Smart would be good for him I imagine
See, the thing is, the reason Danny won't bring him home is that home might not be the healthiest place for him. Too many locals that could be easily accessible that would be terrible influences on him.

Now, if he has matured and figured things out, maybe he would be able to distance himself from those locals, but if not, I can understand why Danny wouldn't bring him into the team. Nerlens could get into a lot of trouble if he is hanging with any of his old Everett buddies.

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2020, 05:27:00 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

Then we should avoid him like he coronavirus.

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2020, 05:43:43 AM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 622

Then we should avoid him like he coronavirus.

Add to the list of unavoidable things....

Disease pandemic scare
Climate Change
And “sign Nerlens Noel” threads on this forum

Be afraid, very afraid

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2020, 08:02:20 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
If WCS is worth a late second rounder, then perhaps our Nets/Knicks second rounder would do the job.

Do you guys think Noel would be starting for us over Theis? Cause if he wouldn't, why bother? I mean, we already got an elite backup C in Kanter.

The way I see it, Noel is a better rim protector, but Theis is a more versatile defender (simply because he's 6'8''). CBS wants his Centers to switch ball screens on D. I'm not a fan of Theis, but he's better than Noel in this regard.

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2020, 09:16:25 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
He is a contributing player on a playoff team.  To get him you have to give the Thunder something they need and they certainly don't need a late 1st or 2nd round picks given their treasure trove of picks from the George and Westbrook trades.  Now getting them out of the luxury tax probably has some value as would giving them other solid contributors

I think something like this makes at least some level of sense for both teams

Noel, Roberson, Muscala for Smart, Green (and then Boston cuts Poirier or finds another team to take him).  I think the Thunder might rather trade Ferguson than Muscala, but I like Muscala as a stretch bench big.  Shaves about 500k from the Thunder so they get very close.  With Ferguson they get under the tax line, so maybe if they want that, Boston can pick up a 2nd round pick or two (Boston doesn't have many of those and they are useful in trades). 

It is a risky trade for Boston, and losing Smart would hurt, but I do think the trade has a chance to make Boston better this year (with more balance and a much deeper bench), and if Noel works out, could be better long term as well.  Roberson can be the bench defensive wing or can be moved in a separate trade since he is an expiring contract.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2020, 09:28:35 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
Noel, Roberson, Muscala for Smart, Green (and then Boston cuts Poirier or finds another team to take him).

(...) I do think the trade has a chance to make Boston better this year
Roberson hasn't played an NBA game since January 27, 2018 due to various injuries.

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2020, 09:38:00 AM »

Offline DrJasper

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 71
If WCS is worth a late second rounder, then perhaps our Nets/Knicks second rounder would do the job.

Do you guys think Noel would be starting for us over Theis? Cause if he wouldn't, why bother? I mean, we already got an elite backup C in Kanter.

The way I see it, Noel is a better rim protector, but Theis is a more versatile defender (simply because he's 6'8''). CBS wants his Centers to switch ball screens on D. I'm not a fan of Theis, but he's better than Noel in this regard.

I actually disagree, from the eye test Noel is at least as quick on his feet as Theis, maybe even quicker
Memphis Grizzlies
PG: Dragic, Ball, Carter
SG: Temple, KCP, Holiday, Washburn
SF: Richardson, Anderson, Parsons, Casspi
PF: Jackson jr, Beasley, Watanabe
C: Adebayo, Green, Noah
https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/teams/Memphis-Grizzlies/14/Rosters/Regular/2019  +21 Lal 2nd

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2020, 09:54:49 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen

I actually disagree, from the eye test Noel is at least as quick on his feet as Theis, maybe even quicker
Switching ball screens is mostly about lateral quicks rather than quick feet in general. As a rule of thumb, the taller you are, the more difficult it becomes to move laterally. Theis is pretty good at switching screens/defending the perimeter. Imo, this is the #1 reason CBS loves him. Don't think Noel is as good as Theis when it comes to lateral quicks. I may very well be wrong.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 10:00:25 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2020, 09:55:48 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Noel, Roberson, Muscala for Smart, Green (and then Boston cuts Poirier or finds another team to take him).

(...) I do think the trade has a chance to make Boston better this year
Roberson hasn't played an NBA game since January 27, 2018 due to various injuries.
I read a report that said he was supposed to be back soon.  It was a few weeks ago, so maybe it wasn't accurate.  Though obviously even if he does come back, who knows what he would look like.  I actually figured Boston would just move his salary in a separate trade.  I thought the acquisition of Noel and Muscala would really help balance out the roster, which was the purpose of the trade from my end. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip