Poll

Should the C's pursue a trade for Myles Turner?

Yes
8 (88.9%)
No
1 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Author Topic: Trade for Myles Turner(merged threads)  (Read 17046 times)

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Turner is a good defensive player and is basically what the Cs are looking for. He’s a paint presence who can step out to the three point line and hit a three.

Problem is it will be tough to match salaries and I don’t think the Cs will give up someone like Hayward. Hayward makes a lot of sense on Indy imo but not sure the Cs would deal someone like him within the conference.

Long story short, I wish we still had Baynes.

Online byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Turner isn't as crazy salary-wise as some other players that have been discussed.

Theis, Kanter, Langford + (Semi or Wanamaker or Edwards) works, for example. Makes us pretty thin up front, but arguably Turner plays as many minutes as Theis + Kanter combined, and Poirier has been pretty unused.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548
I wonder if something like Kanter, Langford, G. Williams, Poirier, and Boston's 1st for Turner would work for the Pacers.  C's could throw in 3 million cash to help with cuts the Pacers would need to make.

Gets the Pacers a decent center for this year, 2 rookies (one from Indiana), and a later 1st in the draft.  They could just cut Poirier and have some other guys they don't really need to cut as well. 

Seems like a trade that makes sense in theory for both teams.  Not sure what Turner's ultimate value is i.e. is essentially 3 mid to late 1st's plus a guy like Kanter enough value.

That seems like a deal another team could and likely would beat.
Probably, but Boston has plenty of other picks it could throw in if that mattered, and not just Memphis.  I mean the Bucks pick along with the C's pick is two 1st's next summer alone.  Though at the end of the day it probably matters a great deal what they think of Langford.  If the Pacers like Langford, then that is an easy trade to sell, especially as I think Kanter is a better fit with Sabonis than Turner is, so it keeps them relevant this year plus adding the assets.  Theis could also be added if that made a difference, though I like it less for Boston if they give up both Kanter and Theis (I'd still probably do it, but just wouldn't like it as much)
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I wonder if something like Kanter, Langford, G. Williams, Poirier, and Boston's 1st for Turner would work for the Pacers.  C's could throw in 3 million cash to help with cuts the Pacers would need to make.

Gets the Pacers a decent center for this year, 2 rookies (one from Indiana), and a later 1st in the draft.  They could just cut Poirier and have some other guys they don't really need to cut as well. 

Seems like a trade that makes sense in theory for both teams.  Not sure what Turner's ultimate value is i.e. is essentially 3 mid to late 1st's plus a guy like Kanter enough value.

That seems like a deal another team could and likely would beat.
Probably, but Boston has plenty of other picks it could throw in if that mattered, and not just Memphis.  I mean the Bucks pick along with the C's pick is two 1st's next summer alone.  Though at the end of the day it probably matters a great deal what they think of Langford.  If the Pacers like Langford, then that is an easy trade to sell, especially as I think Kanter is a better fit with Sabonis than Turner is, so it keeps them relevant this year plus adding the assets.  Theis could also be added if that made a difference, though I like it less for Boston if they give up both Kanter and Theis (I'd still probably do it, but just wouldn't like it as much)

Props to you Moranis. I didn't know we could get a trade to work with lesser parts. That's something like three first round picks (Langford, Williams, and a future first) for Turner, which seems fair. Turner is on a lower contract, which helps us.

His floor spacing could really help us. Teams this year have been clogging the lane. Plus, his defense and rebounding could be a bonus. He's no Ben Wallace, but he is pretty good on that side of the floor.

I really, really like Grant Williams. Its admittedly a fanboy thing. I don't think he's a future star, but I like the way he plays a lot. It would hurt to lose him.

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
I think the trade is Hayward for Turner and Lamb if there is a trade (and there probably isn't).  I don't think trading Hayward hurts us all that much but we still want to get value back.  We have Walker, Brown, Tatum, Smart, and we would add Lamb to soften the blow of losing Hayward.  I think the bigger question is how good is Turner really.  Probably not quite good enough.

I don't think a trade where we give up 4 players and picks is going to get done either.  That kind of trade really makes no sense for either team.  Indiana would have to cut players and we would be signing up 2-way players to have a roster.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
I think the trade is Hayward for Turner and Lamb if there is a trade (and there probably isn't).  I don't think trading Hayward hurts us all that much but we still want to get value back.  We have Walker, Brown, Tatum, Smart, and we would add Lamb to soften the blow of losing Hayward.  I think the bigger question is how good is Turner really.  Probably not quite good enough.

I don't think a trade where we give up 4 players and picks is going to get done either.  That kind of trade really makes no sense for either team.  Indiana would have to cut players and we would be signing up 2-way players to have a roster.

There is no way that we trade Hayward, especially when Brad is our coach.  Also when he is not injured we're much better with him than we would be with Turner in today's game.

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

If you don’t think trading Hayward hurts us much then I feel like you could do to pay more attention to what he brings.

I’ve also seen a couple of people talk about Turner’s rebounding. You all know he’s actually a poor rebounder, right?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Turner isn't as crazy salary-wise as some other players that have been discussed.

Theis, Kanter, Langford + (Semi or Wanamaker or Edwards) works, for example. Makes us pretty thin up front, but arguably Turner plays as many minutes as Theis + Kanter combined, and Poirier has been pretty unused.

Don’t think we can trade both Kanter and Theis. I like RWill, but he’s struggling with injuries.

Turner has had a disappointing season; he barely registered when we played the Pacers. Celts would have a big decision to make about what they thought they could get from him. Against many teams he’d be a plus on defense, though if we’re worried about Embiid, Kanter is a better defender. (Embiid has abused Turner.) Also not sure what he brings on offense these days.

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas

There is no way that we trade Hayward, especially when Brad is our coach.  Also when he is not injured we're much better with him than we would be with Turner in today's game.

Don’t forget we’d be trading him to the Pacers, who are getting Olasipo back soon. Brogdon, Dipo, and Hayward is a pretty solid 1-3, and Sabonis is an excellent screener as well as an low post threat. I don’t especially want to create that team as a playoff rival.

Online byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff

Don’t think we can trade both Kanter and Theis. I like RWill, but he’s struggling with injuries.

Turner has had a disappointing season; he barely registered when we played the Pacers. Celts would have a big decision to make about what they thought they could get from him. Against many teams he’d be a plus on defense, though if we’re worried about Embiid, Kanter is a better defender. (Embiid has abused Turner.) Also not sure what he brings on offense these days.

I'm not necessarily advocating for a trade, but I'm not sure we're any thinner with Turner vs Theis and Kanter, considering he's likely to play nearly as many minutes as the two combined. If we're going from:

Theis 20 / Kanter 20 / Poirier 0
- to-
Turner 30 / Poirier 10

I think that's still a pretty significant upgrade. Turner has his flaws, but he's also working against much higher expectations than Theis and Kanter.

RWill situation doesn't help, but he's hurt either way. And also either way, if our starting center gets hurt we're gonna be thin.

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas

I'm not necessarily advocating for a trade, but I'm not sure we're any thinner with Turner vs Theis and Kanter, considering he's likely to play nearly as many minutes as the two combined. If we're going from:

- to-
Turner 30 / Poirier 10

I think that's still a pretty significant upgrade. Turner has his flaws, but he's also working against much higher expectations than Theis and Kanter.

RWill situation doesn't help, but he's hurt either way. And also either way, if our starting center gets hurt we're gonna be thin.

Poirier is out for at least six weeks, and so far he’s only playable in garbage time.

I suppose this might be a plus to people who think it’s Tacko time!

Online byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff

- to-
Turner 30 / Poirier 10

Poirier is out for at least six weeks, and so far he’s only playable in garbage time.

I suppose this might be a plus to people who think it’s Tacko time!

Good call on Poirier. I still think if we bought low (?) on Turner, no matter what's happening with other guys we'd do it. 30 minutes of Turner and 10 of (anyone) or 40 of Theis/Kanter is probably worth it. We still have guys like Grant Williams, Fall, or even Semi or Maten or another signing to fill in. G Williams would be undersized but knows how to defend for stretches, especially in today's undersized league.

Anyway it's all highly hypothetical, but I doubt bench depth would be the factor scaring us away from Turner in the end.

EDIT: note that Theis isn't eligible for a trade for another 4 weeks. So Poirier would be due back in 2 after that.

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I'd happily deal Smart for Myles Turner.

Similar value players but M.Turner plays a position of need. Celtics would finally have true balance.

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
I'd happily deal Smart for Myles Turner.

Similar value players but M.Turner plays a position of need. Celtics would finally have true balance.

It's a deal that help both teams.

It might even help the Pacers more.

But if the Celts are going to give up Smart, might as well go after Drummond.

Drummond is better than Myles Turner.

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
I think with the way Turner is playing right now, the Celts can get him without having to sacrifice Smart.

Celts can offer the Memphis pick as the centerpiece and Kanter, Poirier, Langford, and Grant Williams to make the trade work.

Turner's really not playing at a high level this season.

Sabonis is Indy's best big right now.