Poll

Given what each would cost, and their respective ages/contracts, who would you want?

Andre Drummond
8 (8.3%)
Myles Turner
20 (20.8%)
Clint Capela
4 (4.2%)
Marc Gasol
4 (4.2%)
Hassan Whiteside
1 (1%)
Jusuf Nurkic
6 (6.3%)
Cody Zeller
4 (4.2%)
Derrick Favors
6 (6.3%)
Steven Adams
11 (11.5%)
A Young Guy
0 (0%)
Dwayne Dedmon
5 (5.2%)
Ehhh, none  are worth what it would cost
27 (28.1%)

Total Members Voted: 96

Author Topic: Big Man Options  (Read 72227 times)

Re: Big Man Options
« Reply #390 on: January 24, 2020, 03:22:49 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Would you guys consider a trade around Hayward and Vucevic? Is it possible that the Magic would consider it?

Why for the Magic:
- Now that Isaac got injured, they need a wing. Hayward would be starting for them over Wes Iwundu/Khem Birch (they both suck).
- Bamba is a top prospect at the C position. By trading Vuc, they free up more minutes for Bamba.

Highly doubt they would do it straight up. I bet they would at least consider it if we included the Memphis pick. Personally speaking, I wouldn't go that far. I would however be willing to include our own pick.

Why for the C's:
Vuc would be a great fit in CBS' system. Reminds me of Horford (on the offensive side of the ball). We could also use Theis at PF, which is his natural position.

Kemba - Brown - Tatum - Theis - Vucevic

If you ask me, that's a more balanced starting 5 than the one that we have now.

You just lost all the benefits of Hayward's playmaking in the starting lineup, gained the marginal benefits of Vucevic at C over Theis, and put Theis at a position he almost never plays.

Theis has only barely played the 4 since coming to the Celtics.  Just briefly with Baines for a tiny handful of minutes during his first year.   He is otherwise almost exclusively a 5.   Even in Germany he played almost always at the 5.

The way to look at it is that you maybe, possibly got a small upgrade at the 5 with your change, but you took a downgrade at the 4.   Because Gordon+Tatum at the 3-4 is massively better than Tatum+Theis at the 3-4.

At any rate, I would rate the chances that Danny makes this trade at somewhere under .01%.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #391 on: January 24, 2020, 03:35:42 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1772
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Would you guys consider a trade around Hayward and Vucevic? Is it possible that the Magic would consider it?

Why for the Magic:
- Now that Isaac got injured, they need a wing. Hayward would be starting for them over Wes Iwundu/Khem Birch (they both suck).
- Bamba is a top prospect at the C position. By trading Vuc, they free up more minutes for Bamba.

Highly doubt they would do it straight up. I bet they would at least consider it if we included the Memphis pick. Personally speaking, I wouldn't go that far. I would however be willing to include our own pick.

Why for the C's:
Vuc would be a great fit in CBS' system. Reminds me of Horford (on the offensive side of the ball). We could also use Theis at PF, which is his natural position.

As far as Hayward for [insert big man here] options, I would say he is preferable to Drummond or Thompson - so kudos for bringing up a name that we can at least fit on our team. Vuc is a good shooter, passer, and rebounder, but I wouldn't say he is a great defender, which would be the main issue with your proposal. I'd honestly rather roll the dice with Hayward or even go for A. Gordon from Orlando, but at least Vuc is locked up for 3 more years after this one at a somewhat reasonable #...less than Hayward anyway.

« Reply #392 on: January 24, 2020, 04:54:59 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
You just lost all the benefits of Hayward's playmaking in the starting lineup
Vucevic is an excellent passer at the C position. There are only 2 Centers around the league averaging more assists than him: Jokic and Marc Gasol.

Hayward is averaging more assists than Vucevic, but he's committing more turnovers as well. If you combine assists + turnovers in one stat, then Vucevic is a (marginally) better passer than Hayward this season.

Vucevic's assist to t/o ratio is 2.62
Hayward's assist to t/o ratio is 2.56

gained the marginal benefits of Vucevic at C over Theis
(...) you maybe, possibly got a small upgrade at the 5
In what universe is Vucevic a ''maybe, possibly small upgrade'' over Theis???? Vuc was an All-Star last season. This season, he is averaging 19 points, 11 boards, 3.4 assists, 1 block and 1 steal per game.

Theis was our third choice Center last season. Only reason he's starting this season is that Danny used our cap space on Kemba (=Kyrie replacement) and we had no cap space left for a Center (=Horford + Baynes replacement). To put it another way, starting Theis at the 5 was never our plan A. We got stuck with him. Acting like Vucevic is a marginal upgrade over Theis, is homerism at its finest!

Vuc is a good shooter, passer, and rebounder, but I wouldn't say he is a great defender, which would be the main issue with your proposal.
Well, Hayward isn't exactly ''a great defender'' either (especially after his injury). We would have to pair Vucevic with a defensive-minded PF, which is fine cause we already got Theis, Semi and G-Will.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 05:31:03 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #393 on: January 24, 2020, 05:30:47 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Vucevic is an excellent passer at the C position. There are only 2 Centers around the league averaging more assists than him: Jokic and Marc Gasol.

Hayward is averaging more assists than Vucevic, but he is averaging more turnovers as well. If you combine assists + turnovers in one stat, then Vucevic is a (marginally) better passer than Hayward this season.

you maybe, possibly got a small upgrade at the 5
In what universe is Vucevic a ''maybe, possibly small upgrade'' over Theis ? ? ? Vuc was an All-Star last season. This season, he is averaging 19 points, 11 boards, 3.4 assists, 1 block and 1 steal per game.

Theis was our third choice Center last season. Only reason he's starting this season is that Danny used our cap space on Kemba (=Kyrie replacement) and we had no cap space left for a Center (=Horford + Baynes replacement). To put it another way, starting Theis at the 5 was never our plan A. We got stuck with him. Acting like Vucevic is a small upgrade over Theis, is homerism at its finest!

Your assist & TO numbers are overall numbers.   Haywards overall assist volume is depressed in lineups where he shares the floor with Smart.

In our starting configuration, Hayward is averaging 7.9 assists per 100 possessions (he is the primary play-maker with our normal starting 5, just ahead of Kemba's 7.3 per 100) against just 1.3 turnovers per 100 possessions, for an assist to turnover ratio of 6.08.

It is important to note Hayward's presence with the other starters has a huge positive effect on their scoring efficiency.   Tatum in particular shows a dramatic increase in scoring efficiency (TS%) when Gordon is on the floor with him (from ~51% ---> ~58%).   Kemba, Theis & to a lesser extent Jaylen also show increases in TS% with Gordon on the floor versus when he is not.  With Gordon on the floor, those other 4 starters have a team ORtg of 128.8 points per 100.  Without him, it is just 115.0.

As for Vucevic's marginal increase in value at the 5 over Theis & Kanter, this just plain comes down to the fact that Theis and Kanter so far are combining to deliver a heck of a lot of value.   They are combining to provide 17.2 points, 14.1 rebounds & 2.7 assists per game on 40.3 minutes per game.  The per-36 equivalents are 15.2/12.6/2.4.  And Kanter (62.2% TS) and Theis (59.2%) are both scoring at elite efficiency.   

Vucevic's per-36 slash line of 21.6/12.6/3.8 provides a little more scoring, but not much more -- and his scoring efficiency of just 53.1% TS is pretty mediocre.   

I just don't think that marginal boost in scoring volume makes ups for the differences you lose with Gordon.

And Vucevic just doesn't match as well as Theis does with the switch-everything defensive philosophy that Stevens uses with the starting lineup.   You would be asking the starting lineup to completely change how they play defense.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #394 on: January 24, 2020, 05:44:03 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Hayward is averaging more assists than Vucevic, but he is averaging more turnovers as well. If you combine assists + turnovers in one stat, then Vucevic is a (marginally) better passer than Hayward this season.

you maybe, possibly got a small upgrade at the 5
In what universe is Vucevic a ''maybe, possibly small upgrade'' over Theis ? ? ? Vuc was an All-Star last season. This season, he is averaging 19 points, 11 boards, 3.4 assists, 1 block and 1 steal per game.

Theis was our third choice Center last season. Only reason he's starting this season is that Danny used our cap space on Kemba (=Kyrie replacement) and we had no cap space left for a Center (=Horford + Baynes replacement). To put it another way, starting Theis at the 5 was never our plan A. We got stuck with him. Acting like Vucevic is a small upgrade over Theis, is homerism at its finest!

Your assist & TO numbers are overall numbers.   Haywards overall assist volume is depressed in lineups where he shares the floor with Smart.

In our starting configuration, Hayward is averaging 7.9 assists per 100 possessions (he is the primary play-maker with our normal starting 5, just ahead of Kemba's 7.3 per 100) against just 1.3 turnovers per 100 possessions, for an assist to turnover ratio of 6.08.

It is important to note Hayward's presence with the other starters has a huge positive effect on their scoring efficiency.   Tatum in particular shows a dramatic increase in scoring efficiency (TS%) when Gordon is on the floor with him (from ~51% ---> ~58%).   Kemba, Theis & to a lesser extent Jaylen also show increases in TS% with Gordon on the floor versus when he is not.  With Gordon on the floor, those other 4 starters have a team ORtg of 128.8 points per 100.  Without him, it is just 115.0.

As for Vucevic's marginal increase in value at the 5 over Theis & Kanter, this just plain comes down to the fact that Theis and Kanter so far are combining to deliver a heck of a lot of value.   They are combining to provide 17.2 points, 14.1 rebounds & 2.7 assists per game on 40.3 minutes per game.  The per-36 equivalents are 15.2/12.6/2.4.  And Kanter (62.2% TS) and Theis (59.2%) are both scoring at elite efficiency.   

Vucevic's per-36 slash line of 21.6/12.6/3.8 provides a little more scoring, but not much more -- and his scoring efficiency of just 53.1% TS is pretty mediocre.   

I just don't think that marginal boost in scoring volume makes ups for the differences you lose with Gordon.

And Vucevic just doesn't match as well as Theis does with the switch-everything defensive philosophy that Stevens uses with the starting lineup.   You would be asking the starting lineup to completely change how they play defense.
TP. Trading Hayward for Vuce would disrupt us on both ends massively.

I also disagree that Theis’ natural position is the 4. He plays the 5 everywhere, even for Germany alongside Kleber
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #395 on: January 24, 2020, 05:55:40 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Vuc is a Center, hence his assist volume is depressed even more than Hayward's.

As for Vucevic's marginal increase in value at the 5 over Theis & Kanter
What does Kanter's production has to do with this? We were comparing Theis to Vucevic.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of Hayward's game. My point is that Vucevic a) is probably even better than Hayward and b) he plays a position of need for us.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 06:40:43 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #396 on: January 24, 2020, 05:55:50 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I'm 100% on board with Theis/Kanter/G. Williams.

I think they deserve the right to prove themselves. They have not disappointed nor give us a reason to be upset with their output.

Theis/Kanter took team friendly contracts for us to give us cap flexibility. I guess I'm little hurt that Horford left us.

I know money is always important, but Horford would've really been exactly what we needed.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #397 on: January 24, 2020, 09:18:28 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 767

Why for the Magic:

Why for the C's:

I'm not a one-game guy, but Theis outplayed Vucevic tonight, and Hayward showed why he is a much better player than anyone on the team, and Gordon showed how he is more potential and actual.

I kinda' like minutes from Bamba, but I don't want to trade a top 6 player for him.

« Reply #398 on: January 24, 2020, 09:30:23 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I wonder how many fanbases in the league are like:

"Wow, I wonder what it would take to get Daniel Theis from the Celtics. Our team really needs a defensively versatile big man like Theis."

« Reply #399 on: January 24, 2020, 09:34:48 PM »

• Paul Silas
I wonder how many fanbases in the league are like:

"Wow, I wonder what it would take to get Daniel Theis from the Celtics. Our team really needs a defensively versatile big man like Theis."

"It'd be awesome to get someone who sets good screens, can shoot the three, and play solid team defense."

« Reply #400 on: January 24, 2020, 09:37:04 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
All I can say is that nothing that happened in tonight's game made me change my mind about this latest "Hayward for Vucevic" proposal.  If anything, the opposite.

I would now put the chances of Danny ever executing such a trade at somewhere south of 0.001%.

« Reply #401 on: January 24, 2020, 09:42:38 PM »

• Paul Silas
All I can say is that nothing that happened in tonight's game made me change my mind about this latest "Hayward for Vucevic" proposal.  If anything, the opposite.

I would now put the chances of Danny ever executing such a trade at somewhere south of 0.001%.

Someone's gotta score on bad or mediocre teams. Doesn't mean their 20 ppg transfers to good teams. It doesn't even mean they can be a cog on a good team.

« Reply #402 on: January 24, 2020, 09:52:48 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

That goes triple for the Gordon and Bamba for Hayward trade idea that is out there too.

« Reply #403 on: January 24, 2020, 09:53:46 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3010
  • On To Banner 18!

That goes triple for the Gordon and Bamba for Hayward trade idea that is out there too.

Lol I was going to respond in that "Hayward for Drummond-Rose proposal" after tonight's game and Hayward's performance. Didn't realize it got locked for some reason.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #404 on: January 24, 2020, 09:59:45 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Lol I was going to respond in that "Hayward for Drummond-Rose proposal" after tonight's game and Hayward's performance. Didn't realize it got locked for some reason.
The subject had run its course and the thread got....... testy. Best to lock it up.