Author Topic: Smart out up to two rounds!  (Read 21416 times)

Re: Smart out up to two rounds!
« Reply #75 on: April 11, 2019, 12:25:27 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
You guys blaming Brad for this are out of line.

It was a regular season game and NBA players get payed to play

The players already had Tuesday off. What are they supposed to? Not play a single game in 8 days leading up to the playoffs?
Then they would've been as rusty as hell.

How many days are the players supposed to have off?

I guess someone has to be blamed for everything.

Please.

Logic escapes people when their bias and hatred is strong.
It was the first game in a while where the rotation guys are all healthy, and we just had a change in starting lineup. It was against a playoff team who we had trouble dealing with. It was the PERFECT OPPORTUNITY to get one last dry run for the playoffs. And oh, btw the 3rd seed wasn't out of reach then.

Those with Stevens hatred are using confirmation Bias to further their own narratives.

It's not even Stevens bias or hatred as much as it is logic.

I'd have no problem criticizing Brad if he played the starting lineup in Washington and someone got injured. But this was the penultimate game of the season and guys needed their final burn before the playoffs. That same night, the Raptors played Miami and guess what? The entire Raptors starting lineup played (INCLUDING Kawhi.)

Milwaukee clinched a playoff spot in early March. Should they have benched Giannis since then?

If so, he would've looked like he was in training camp during game 1 of the playoffs.

It's just silly to blame Brad for Smart's injury.

I can see both sides of it. Wrap your players in cotton wool so they are right for the business end of the season vs keeping them in a good rhythm to go into the playoffs. Sometimes the players want, or need, the reps or they want to stay in game rhythm, or to maintain that game mindset. Sometimes that break can ruin their rhythm. Look at how sometimes teams come out of the All Star Break slow. Playing a game always entails risks, particularly the way Marcus plays. That's why you need a squad to win. Golden State played KD and Klay in a meaningless game tonight as well, and the Bucks played Middleton.

I hardly think the sky is falling in just because he's injured though. We should be able to cover, we have more than enough players. If we're losing because we don't have Marcus Smart then our team has much bigger problems than any of us thought. After all both teams we would be playing (Ind and Mil) are missing players too.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #76 on: April 11, 2019, 01:31:32 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
https://twitter.com/AdamHimmelsbach/status/1116148157526814720?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1116148157526814720&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Fboston-celtics

Have been hearing that despite the 4-6 week timetable on the Celtics' press release, the belief is that it's a 3-5 week injury for Marcus Smart.

Well, there's that at least, and knowing how tough Smart is he'll probably push that earlier timeline. Maybe he will be able to be back in the middle of the series versus Milwaukee, just like last year.

Well he did come back towards the beginning of his timeline for the thumb injury last year. Nobody doubts his toughness. That said, at some point its a matter of effectiveness. An oblique injury I'd imagine would impact somebody like Smart more than a thumb injury would.
I've always thought of Smart as a fake tough guy.  Playing physical on defense doesn't make you tough especially when you flop as much as he does.  I remember him writhing on the floor in his 2nd season(?) like he'd been shot and it turns out just to be a high ankle sprain.  Now his MRI gets delayed because the pain is too bad. 

« Reply #77 on: April 11, 2019, 01:53:43 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
https://twitter.com/AdamHimmelsbach/status/1116148157526814720?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1116148157526814720&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Fboston-celtics

Have been hearing that despite the 4-6 week timetable on the Celtics' press release, the belief is that it's a 3-5 week injury for Marcus Smart.

Well, there's that at least, and knowing how tough Smart is he'll probably push that earlier timeline. Maybe he will be able to be back in the middle of the series versus Milwaukee, just like last year.

Well he did come back towards the beginning of his timeline for the thumb injury last year. Nobody doubts his toughness. That said, at some point its a matter of effectiveness. An oblique injury I'd imagine would impact somebody like Smart more than a thumb injury would.
I've always thought of Smart as a fake tough guy.  Playing physical on defense doesn't make you tough especially when you flop as much as he does.  I remember him writhing on the floor in his 2nd season(?) like he'd been shot and it turns out just to be a high ankle sprain.  Now his MRI gets delayed because the pain is too bad.

So what makes any NBA player a “real” tough guy?

Baynes gets banged up with random injuries here and there, another fake tough guy!
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #78 on: April 11, 2019, 08:31:06 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
This is definitely unfortunate.  I like Smart and what he brings to the table, but he's the most replaceable player on the team. 

There's not any real drop off between his play and that of Jaylen Brown or Terry Rozier in terms of total basketball talent. 

Now his defense can be exceptional, but the Pacers have a bunch of guards that are barely NBA players.  They're old, unathletic, and completely unintimidating without Oladipo.  The last thing the Celtics need is a "lock-down" defensive guard in this series.

I'm actually glad Smart won't be available for this series because I think Brad bends over backwards to provide Smart with unnecessary minutes for a role player to the detriment of other players on the team.

« Reply #79 on: April 11, 2019, 08:49:57 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
This is definitely unfortunate.  I like Smart and what he brings to the table, but he's the most replaceable player on the team. 

There's not any real drop off between his play and that of Jaylen Brown or Terry Rozier in terms of total basketball talent. 

Now his defense can be exceptional, but the Pacers have a bunch of guards that are barely NBA players.  They're old, unathletic, and completely unintimidating without Oladipo.  The last thing the Celtics need is a "lock-down" defensive guard in this series.

I'm actually glad Smart won't be available for this series because I think Brad bends over backwards to provide Smart with unnecessary minutes for a role player to the detriment of other players on the team.

I just don't know what to say about that bolded part.

Terry Rozier this year is a well below average NBA player. He's one of the worst shooters in the NBA at the guard position - he's 7 points worse than Marcus in TS%, which is a *lot*, and his shot selection is really bad for team offense (hero ball shots without any passes) and often negatively effects our defense (he drives into multiple defenders and misses, which destroys the team's floor balance and invites opposing team fast breaks). He's a much inferior defender, who makes flashy plays sometimes but fails at the fundamentals again and again and again. And then there is Marcus' knack for making big plays at the end of games, exactly the opposite of Terry.

If Smart is out for the second round, which I assume is going to be the case, we are in big trouble.

« Reply #80 on: April 11, 2019, 09:10:41 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
This sucks a lot. Big loss.

Hopefully Jaylen is able to step up. He should get the lion's share of the minutes vacuum until Smart comes back and obviously Terry is going to have more opportunities as well.

Nothing easy for this team. Ever.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #81 on: April 11, 2019, 09:36:01 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I feel like Smart always shoots badly when he rushes back from an injury. Not sure how much of an asset that player is when he is taking minutes away from good players like Rozier and Hayward ...

Unless Rozier continues to suck as he has for most of the year. In which case, yeah, rush back and be a 20mpg backup guard.

« Reply #82 on: April 11, 2019, 09:49:49 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Having suffered a high ankle sprain in HS, I question why you think that is not painful.  It is excruciatingly painful.  Marcus Smart is not fake tough.

He is tough. Period.

« Reply #83 on: April 11, 2019, 09:54:16 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
If your criticism is more fervent now than 30 seconds before Smart's injury, you should re-calibrate to eliminate the emotional response to incidental results.

« Reply #84 on: April 11, 2019, 09:55:39 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

There's nothing fake about Smart when it comes to toughness. Not sure what your criteria is for being a "tough guy" but Marcus is as tough as they come. He's shown that time and time again. And yes, being a physical defender definitely makes you tough. It's the ones who aren't physical on the court and then pretend that they're getting into a "fight" with another player that are pansies.

« Reply #85 on: April 11, 2019, 10:52:06 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

There's nothing fake about Smart when it comes to toughness. Not sure what your criteria is for being a "tough guy" but Marcus is as tough as they come. He's shown that time and time again. And yes, being a physical defender definitely makes you tough. It's the ones who aren't physical on the court and then pretend that they're getting into a "fight" with another player that are pansies.

a torn oblique is much more different than his thumb, if not properly taken care of he might also have issues with his back. As much as i hope he comes back soon, he really needs to rest it up . He is far from "fake" tough guy, just because he flops i don't think that takes anything away from him.

« Reply #86 on: April 11, 2019, 11:11:32 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777

a torn oblique is much more different than his thumb, if not properly taken care of he might also have issues with his back. As much as i hope he comes back soon, he really needs to rest it up . He is far from "fake" tough guy, just because he flops i don't think that takes anything away from him.

Paul Pierce was knifed and came back the next season playing at the same level. He also collapsed and had to be wheelchaired off the court for a game that he then came back in within minutes. I don't think that immediate response to possible injuries is a great way of measuring "toughness" overall.

« Reply #87 on: April 11, 2019, 11:13:03 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

I know people have kind of perfected burying their heads in the sand when it has come to Stevens' shortcomings, but, man, how you can rationalize this one away is beyond me, Pho. This is literal harm with no benefit coming from Stevens' poor decision-making, yet somehow it's not his fault? Give me a break.

I guess I just don't agree with the idea that the team should rest every single important rotation player once seeding is determined.

I mean, Smart is important but he's arguably the 4th or 5th most talented player on the team.  Brad had to play somebody.

Also I tend to think that Brad's ability to simply say "All of you guys are sitting tonight" is hampered by the players themselves wanting to play.  Knowing that he was going to sit basically the whole team minus Jaylen and Terry in the season finale, it's hard to imagine Brad getting all the guys to agree to sit out Sunday as well.

And the fact remains that this is the sort of injury that could happen anytime.

Why does it bother you so much more that it happened at some point in a relatively meaningless game against Orlando as opposed to happening during the blowout against Indiana, or during the first few minutes of the first game of round 1?

Is an injury only acceptable if it occurs during a part of the game that was "meaningful"?  Does it matter if the play in question was one that did or did not affect the outcome of the game?

Shoot, Smart has injured himself tons of times by risking his body for loose balls and the like even when the play wouldn't really make a big difference and the game wasn't that important.

In fact, I seem to recall that Smart was injured heading into the playoffs last year because of something just like that.

This is part of the Marcus Smart experience.  He's going to get some wear and tear injuries related to his style of play, and it could happen anytime. 

I don't put it on Brad to prevent that stuff.

Ridiculous. Of course you should rest your best players with two games to go and nothing to gain.

Especially Smart, who doesn't even know how to protect himself. Stevens looks like a fool for this.

« Reply #88 on: April 11, 2019, 11:14:24 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559

This ^
Seriously, a fake tough guy? Do you actually watch the games? lol

« Reply #89 on: April 11, 2019, 11:30:02 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

If you think Smart is a fake tough guy, what does that make your boy Embiid?

Smart's a gritty battler.  He might embellish some stuff but i certainly don't think he's a fake tough guy. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team