Author Topic: Jayson tatum slander all over media  (Read 18693 times)

Re: Jayson tatum slander all over media
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2024, 09:09:54 PM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I think it’s funny and interesting that both SAS and Perk have Tatum as their MVP this year. Take that as you will

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2024, 10:48:59 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732
Is the MVP a legitimate measure of basketball talent and effectiveness or is it a popularity contest ?
What the hell does the number of tv commercials a guy makes have to do with his value to his team winning games ?

I remember Larry Bird accepting one of his MVP's after, I think it was some MasterCard (?) lady suit, quoted their tv ad slogan when presenting the award and he opened his acceptance remarks with, " I only care about the commercials that I make money with." It brought the house down. Classic Larry, who couldn't have cared less about being popular.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2024, 10:56:47 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1436
Is the MVP a legitimate measure of basketball talent and effectiveness or is it a popularity contest ?
What the hell does the number of tv commercials a guy makes have to do with his value to his team winning games ?

I remember Larry Bird accepting one of his MVP's after, I think it was some MasterCard (?) lady suit, quoted their tv ad slogan when presenting the award and he opened his acceptance remarks with, " I only care about the commercials that I make money with." It brought the house down. Classic Larry, who couldn't have cared less about being popular.

I don’t think Jokic would have won MVP two out of the last 3 years if it was popularity contest.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2024, 11:02:10 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732

I don’t think Jokic would have won MVP two out of the last 3 years if it was popularity contest.

I think you are right.
I was more referencing some of the comments in this thread.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2024, 11:10:38 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 999
Just win the championship is all I'd like to say

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2024, 06:38:28 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176
Unless he has an absolutely insane, all world second half of the season, he’s not the MVP. Although this is mostly a media driven narrative award and the fact that some people in the media are now declaring that he IS the mvp gives him a chance.
Love Tatum but wish he wouldn’t have declared that he thinks he’s the best player in the league, fine to think it but saying it out loud does nothing but put more pressure on himself

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2024, 07:53:17 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Unless he has an absolutely insane, all world second half of the season, he’s not the MVP. Although this is mostly a media driven narrative award and the fact that some people in the media are now declaring that he IS the mvp gives him a chance.
Love Tatum but wish he wouldn’t have declared that he thinks he’s the best player in the league, fine to think it but saying it out loud does nothing but put more pressure on himself
and that is right. He shouldn't be the MVP. That is Jokic.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2024, 07:57:57 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
I don't care about Tatum winning MVP, frankly a Finals MVP would be way better. However, the recent list particularly by ESPN having Tatum as #6 in the MVP race is ridiculous, I agree. No way Tatum should be lower than 3 on that list. I'd have only Jokic and SGA ahead of him.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2024, 08:15:10 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I don't care about Tatum winning MVP, frankly a Finals MVP would be way better. However, the recent list particularly by ESPN having Tatum as #6 in the MVP race is ridiculous, I agree. No way Tatum should be lower than 3 on that list. I'd have only Jokic and SGA ahead of him.
the Kia Ladder has him 5th.   Neither had Mitchell ahead of him either which seems strange. Mitchell has been a beast on a team with a ton of injuries
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2024, 05:21:45 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
Tatum is the best defender among the top MVP candidates.  Giannis is a close second. 

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2024, 05:43:52 PM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1481
MVP's will come eventually, just win a title.
Who cares about it until that happens.

To his credit, JT, and JB as well, seem to have their heads screwed on right.  They have adjusted their play, took less shots for the betterment of the team.   But JT needs to stop worrying about any media criticism, and just let our record do the talking.

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2024, 05:53:57 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

To his credit, JT, and JB as well, seem to have their heads screwed on right.  They have adjusted their play, took less shots for the betterment of the team.   But JT needs to stop worrying about any media criticism, and just let our record do the talking.

I don't think Tatum is concerned with media criticism at all. He just wants to win. You can see it in the way he's playing.

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2024, 07:16:46 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Free throw attempts per game:

Nikola Jokic 5.5
Shai Gilgeous-Alexander 9      
Giannis Antetokounmpo 11.1      
Luka Doncic 9.2   
Jayson Tatum 6.7         

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2024, 07:20:58 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
Free throw attempts per game:

Nikola Jokic 5.5
Shai Gilgeous-Alexander 9      
Giannis Antetokounmpo 11.1      
Luka Doncic 9.2   
Jayson Tatum 6.7

I guess Embiid doesn't qualify because he's missed a lot of games, but he was averaging 11.9 this season. Last two years respectively 11.8 and 11.7. When you're averaging nearly 10-11 FTs every single game it's pretty easy then to average 33-36 PPG like Embiid has. Crazy
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2024, 09:23:01 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176

I don't think Tatum is concerned with media criticism at all. He just wants to win. You can see it in the way he's playing.

I think he is a team player for sure but I feel he does care about individual awards and media criticism and his recent media tour talking about how he’s the best player in the league was unnecessary