Author Topic: The Season from HELL.... Just End and at this point  (Read 8549 times)

Re: The Season from HELL.... Just End and at this point
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2019, 10:44:16 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
We are going to end up with the 5th seed. SMH This is a clear indictment on Kyrie being the leader. This is pathetic with this type of talent on this team. Stevens also deserves a lot of the blame too. This team should be no lower than a 3rd seed.

I'm ready to move on from Kyrie.

I am not ready to move on from Kyrie, however it's quite obvious Ainge will need to pick a direction for this team in the offseason.

Scenario A is re-sign Kyrie and basically build the entire team around him and get his input on what players he'd like Ainge to acquire. Obviously, AD would come into play in this scenario and likely Tatum and one of Brown, Smart or even Hayward is likely gone. Marcus Morris may also be re-signed in this scenario for depth.

Scenario B is Kyrie walks and we build around a re-signed Rozier, a healthier Hayward, Smart, Brown, Tatum and Horford. In this scenario, I still see another pick-up (hopefully at the center position.) Morris is likely gone as well. I do feel even if Kyrie leaves, that Ainge still needs to consider moving one of either Tatum or Hayward. I'll say it before and say it again. Having two very talented starting caliber small forwards is redundant. If you start Hayward, Tatum regresses. If you start Tatum, Hayward regresses.

The roster as currently constituted just doesn't seem to be working.

« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2019, 11:58:23 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
One of the key questions for moving forward, if Kyrie does leave and there's no AD trade, is whether Jayson Tatum is going to be a superstar build-around kind of player.

He's really stagnated in his second season.  He's a valuable player, but is he much more than Otto Porter or a lesser Tobias Harris at this point?

I think they ought to consider trying to trade for Bradley Beal, if Kyrie leaves and the AD thing falls through.  I would consider trading Tatum for Beal, based on what we've seen from him so far.

But if the internal judgment is that Tatum could become a Paul George type scorer with solid defense, and all he needs is the freedom that will come from a team that doesn't have another high usage, much more famous scorer on it, then they should not trade him.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #62 on: March 21, 2019, 12:14:28 PM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
I wouldn't call this the season from hell but I do feel like this team still has no chemistry. Obviously we are performing well below the sum of our players. I doubt that will change once the playoffs roll around but I really hope I am wrong.

« Reply #63 on: March 21, 2019, 12:28:44 PM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
We are going to end up with the 5th seed. SMH This is a clear indictment on Kyrie being the leader. This is pathetic with this type of talent on this team. Stevens also deserves a lot of the blame too. This team should be no lower than a 3rd seed.

I am not ready to move on from Kyrie, however it's quite obvious Ainge will need to pick a direction for this team in the offseason.

Scenario A is re-sign Kyrie and basically build the entire team around him and get his input on what players he'd like Ainge to acquire. Obviously, AD would come into play in this scenario and likely Tatum and one of Brown, Smart or even Hayward is likely gone. Marcus Morris may also be re-signed in this scenario for depth.

Scenario B is Kyrie walks and we build around a re-signed Rozier, a healthier Hayward, Smart, Brown, Tatum and Horford. In this scenario, I still see another pick-up (hopefully at the center position.) Morris is likely gone as well. I do feel even if Kyrie leaves, that Ainge still needs to consider moving one of either Tatum or Hayward. I'll say it before and say it again. Having two very talented starting caliber small forwards is redundant. If you start Hayward, Tatum regresses. If you start Tatum, Hayward regresses.

IMO we either go forward with AD and Kyrie or just the young guys (no Kyrie). To me Kyrie and the young crew just don't mesh very well.

« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2019, 12:55:06 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
I wouldn't call this the season from hell but I do feel like this team still has no chemistry. Obviously we are performing well below the sum of our players. I doubt that will change once the playoffs roll around but I really hope I am wrong.

This season is just one long hope-crusher.

Last night's game was no exception. Boston goes way up on Philly, then loses Baynes to injury and Marcus Smart to a brain cramp. Gordon Hayward is out with an injury too. We give up the lead late in the 4th quarter.

Perfect Celtics 2019 game.

« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2019, 01:00:19 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
This season is exactly what is has always been.

A season of gauging talent and preparation for a move for next season and beyond

« Reply #66 on: March 21, 2019, 01:16:53 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
One of the key questions for moving forward, if Kyrie does leave and there's no AD trade, is whether Jayson Tatum is going to be a superstar build-around kind of player.

He's really stagnated in his second season.  He's a valuable player, but is he much more than Otto Porter or a lesser Tobias Harris at this point?

I think they ought to consider trying to trade for Bradley Beal, if Kyrie leaves and the AD thing falls through.  I would consider trading Tatum for Beal, based on what we've seen from him so far.

But if the internal judgment is that Tatum could become a Paul George type scorer with solid defense, and all he needs is the freedom that will come from a team that doesn't have another high usage, much more famous scorer on it, then they should not trade him.

I think Tatum has the potential to be a key cog but I also don't think he's a player you build around. You're going to need more than Tatum to compete and also feel like expectations for Tatum probably need to be lowered a little bit after his brilliant rookie season.

« Reply #67 on: March 21, 2019, 01:18:50 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

IMO we either go forward with AD and Kyrie or just the young guys (no Kyrie). To me Kyrie and the young crew just don't mesh very well.

Exactly. Kyrie needs another alpha male on the team. We thought Hayward was going to be that guy, but it doesn't seem that's going to be the case.

« Reply #68 on: March 21, 2019, 01:29:21 PM »

Offline BlackCeltic

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 64

Exactly. Kyrie needs another alpha male on the team. We thought Hayward was going to be that guy, but it doesn't seem that's going to be the case.

It needs to be Jaylen, like last post season.

« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2019, 01:39:03 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Obviously we are performing well below the sum of our players. I doubt that will change once the playoffs roll around but I really hope I am wrong.

I don't think it makes sense to expect to see something different in the playoffs than you saw through 72 games.

They are what they are.  Shortening the rotation is not going to change that.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #70 on: March 21, 2019, 02:07:19 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140

Last night's game was no exception. Boston goes way up on Philly, then loses Baynes to injury and Marcus Smart to a brain cramp. Gordon Hayward is out with an injury too. We give up the lead late in the 4th quarter.

What was Hayward's injury by the way?  Did he sprain his wrist cashing those massive checks?

« Reply #71 on: March 21, 2019, 02:12:37 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
The Brett Szabo year. '96-'97.

Now THAT was a season from hell.
I would argue that Szabo is the all time least talented Celtics starter.  But that team also was supposed to stink so there were zero expectations. They were in official tank mode once Szabo became the starting center.

« Reply #72 on: March 21, 2019, 02:28:00 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
The Brett Szabo year. '96-'97.

Now THAT was a season from hell.
I would argue that Szabo is the all time least talented Celtics starter.  But that team also was supposed to stink so there were zero expectations. They were in official tank mode once Szabo became the starting center.

It was awful to watch.  That whole GM/Coach Carr era sucked.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #73 on: March 21, 2019, 03:33:35 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

What was Hayward's injury by the way?  Did he sprain his wrist cashing those massive checks?
Really? The guy has a concussion.

« Reply #74 on: March 21, 2019, 04:38:03 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468

Really? The guy has a concussion.
"Who cares about deadly long term effects, just go out there and play!" Ignorance seems to be on an upward trend for these forums.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum