Author Topic: Best TV Series in the Cable Era  (Read 33762 times)

Re: Best TV Series in the Cable Era
« Reply #105 on: September 14, 2016, 05:28:18 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
No Dexter love in here???...Not my number 1 but up there.

TOP 5 for me

Band of Brothers
Breaking Bad
Sons of Anarchy
6 Feet Under
Walking dead

Stranger Things is creeping up there fast after one year for me. Game of Thrones, The Strain are notable too.

I loved Dexter but I was really dissapointed in the ending. Nowhere near a " Lost" debacle but I was bummed out.

I just started rewatching Dexter.  Season 1 was pretty great.  I forget which season John Lithgow came along, but that was pretty awesome too.  I always felt like Deb w a s little d of annoying and her character would have reacted very differently if faced with the ridiculous succession of tragedies and mind-screwings.
Yup

« Reply #106 on: September 14, 2016, 06:48:48 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
This is a tough list to make for sure.My cable favorites are:

1. Battlestar Galactica-reboot..best cable Sci Fi ever! Don't let the original keep you away from this amazing, dark story...so good...What Terminator should have been times a thousand
2. Game of Thrones
3.  Sopranos...this show was epic and set the bar high for all future original cable shows to come....
4. Sons of Anarchy....looking forward to prequel but the star they are casting as his father is a bit interesting if true...Brad Pitt...hmmm....
5. The Shield...if you never watched it, it will surprise you...really good
6. Breaking Bad
7. Curb Your Enthusiasm is awesome and for anyone who loved Seinfeld, you need to watch this if you somehow missed it
8. Dexter...looking forward to the return of Dexter as well
9. Rescue Me..this one surprised me as well...Dont let the main star scare you away from watching this show...very entertaining and binge worthy for sure
10. Mad Men...another one that someone forced me to watch and I was hooked from the get go...really good
11. House of Cards...I was forced to watch this one.....against my will and was also hooked from the start....another surprise
12. The Walking Dead...still pretty addicting and even the spin off is not that bad as well......
13. Dr. Who reboot is actually good as far as British Sci-Fi goes....excellent acting and good stories...

Sounds like I need to watch The Wire as well..never even tried that one....Prison Break was great the first few seasons but network and looking forward to the reboot...the trailer actually looks good...Babylon 5 was also great network Sci-Fi as well.....

« Reply #107 on: September 14, 2016, 07:01:04 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
It's blasphemy, but how long does it take The Wire to get good? I thought the pilot was dull.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #108 on: September 14, 2016, 07:14:33 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
It's blasphemy, but how long does it take The Wire to get good? I thought the pilot was dull.
Several episodes.  The pilot was painful. 

I honestly don't remember off the top of my head which episode I got hooked, but I know it took me a while to get into it. 

« Reply #109 on: September 14, 2016, 07:30:52 PM »

Offline Timdawgg

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 623
I'm gonna have to check out " The Strain".

If you like Guillermo del Toro's stuff it is pretty good. Probably one of the scariest tv shows ever.
A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals.

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds.

Larry Bird

« Reply #110 on: September 14, 2016, 07:32:24 PM »

Offline Timdawgg

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 623
No Dexter love in here???...Not my number 1 but up there.

TOP 5 for me

Band of Brothers
Breaking Bad
Sons of Anarchy
6 Feet Under
Walking dead

Stranger Things is creeping up there fast after one year for me. Game of Thrones, The Strain are notable too.

I loved Dexter but I was really dissapointed in the ending. Nowhere near a " Lost" debacle but I was bummed out.

I just started rewatching Dexter.  Season 1 was pretty great.  I forget which season John Lithgow came along, but that was pretty awesome too.  I always felt like Deb w a s little d of annoying and her character would have reacted very differently if faced with the ridiculous succession of tragedies and mind-screwings.

Yeah, the Lithgow season (4th season) as the best season by far...they should of ended the show right after the season if you remember the ending...I would have ranked in my top 5 if Julia Stiles and beyond never happened.
A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals.

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds.

Larry Bird

« Reply #111 on: September 14, 2016, 07:51:25 PM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93

I look at each season as a novel in a series, with each episode a chapter.  Some pull you along and some you have to get through, but the story develops.  Then remember it is written by a former newspaper man and a former cop based on real people and events.

And sometimes it's just the quality of the dialogue  Episode 1--"who shot Snot", " there you go givin an F when it ain't your turn to give an F".  The epigraphs are also great.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 08:04:51 PM by feckless »
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #112 on: September 15, 2016, 04:05:01 PM »

Offline TheBigTicket23

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 59
  • Anything is possible!

Watched 3 episodes, I quitted, gave it another shot, watched 4 episodes, quitted.
3rd time; bingo, best ever made, best, best in the game. and it's not even close.

That acting is just great as well.

« Reply #113 on: September 15, 2016, 04:15:41 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Finally saw a couple The Office mentions which I thought it deserved, but I'm surprised in all of these rankings of multiple shows not a single person mentioned Friends.  10 seasons, each one after season 1 being a top 5 US show while it ran.

My #1 favorite isn't a show on cable, but is in the cable era, so I'm going with House of Cards.  Arrested Development #2, such a shame it never got the attention it deserved.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #114 on: September 15, 2016, 04:20:31 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

Watched 3 episodes, I quitted, gave it another shot, watched 4 episodes, quitted.
3rd time; bingo, best ever made, best, best in the game. and it's not even close.

Wow, this was pretty close to my experience. I wondered why people thought it was so good. Stopped watching. Started again to get through most of season 1. Then like a year later picked up where I left off and now it's my #1 show of all time.

I really can't explain it. I just didn't really understand what I was watching at first, I think. It's not a fast paced show. Very subtle. Dark in an almost mundane way. It's not clear where the story line is going. You're not sure what to expect and I think the problem is that you're not sure that you should expect anything to happen that you care about. Then you just "get it" and you're hooked.

« Reply #115 on: September 16, 2016, 09:03:01 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907

Wow, this was pretty close to my experience. I wondered why people thought it was so good. Stopped watching. Started again to get through most of season 1. Then like a year later picked up where I left off and now it's my #1 show of all time.

I really can't explain it. I just didn't really understand what I was watching at first, I think. It's not a fast paced show. Very subtle. Dark in an almost mundane way. It's not clear where the story line is going. You're not sure what to expect and I think the problem is that you're not sure that you should expect anything to happen that you care about. Then you just "get it" and you're hooked.

It must be that third episode, because that's when I quit, also. Maybe I'll try it again and slog through a few more episodes.

Mike

« Reply #116 on: September 16, 2016, 10:07:02 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

I think you nailed it. 

I also think you need to get deeper into the show.  Season 1 is solid.  Season 2 is probably the weakest.   The final 3 seasons are excellent. Just top notch television. 

Basically, what I'm saying is, get past the dock season and you're golden. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #117 on: September 16, 2016, 10:47:24 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
I tried watching the wire 3 times. I made it through 1 season once but I thought it was so boring because all the cop characters seem bored and have basically the same personality. This is probably more true to life but I just couldn't get through it.

« Reply #118 on: September 20, 2016, 05:26:46 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

I think you nailed it. 

I also think you need to get deeper into the show.  Season 1 is solid.  Season 2 is probably the weakest.   The final 3 seasons are excellent. Just top notch television. 

It's all about the Omar
Yup

« Reply #119 on: September 20, 2016, 05:56:06 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586

I think you nailed it. 

It's all about the Omar

This conversation inspired me to re-watch the Wire again.  I was already in the camp that thought it was the greatest show of all time, but it's always fun to re-watch something you enjoy.  Plus I wanted to pay closer attention to the little things I may have missed the first time around as well as try to see why others don't instantly like it.

I think part of people not instantly liking it is because it's such a huge ensemble cast, so it takes a while to really get to know some of the better characters.  Through the first 3 episodes, Omar has only like 2 brief scenes, Bubbles is just some junkie, and I don't even think Lester has talked yet.   But in episodes 4-6 that's when guys like Omar and Bubbles really start to shine.  Lester gets some lines, maybe Prez starts to grow on you a little, etc.  By the time the end of the first season rolls around you realize there's several minor characters (like Wee-Bey, Wallace) that you liked that didn't get a lot of air time.

Also part of the problem is it takes the first 3 episodes to really lay the foundation for the rest of the season.  It's episodes 4+ where the investigation really gets going, then they just piece a little together every episode after that and you can't wait to see how it all unravels, if it unravels at all.

At least that's how I feel about it having just re-watched all of Season 1 over the last 4 days.  Very enjoyable even for the 2nd time around.

Interested to hear if Roy or mef730 were able to get past the first few episodes and if your opinions have changed?

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class