Author Topic: What If…Tom Brady Played Baseball?  (Read 3149 times)

What If…Tom Brady Played Baseball?
« on: December 23, 2023, 11:17:29 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
Topps delves into that alternative universe.

https://youtu.be/ovff3nwdY0Y?feature=shared

5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

Re: What If…Tom Brady Played Baseball?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2023, 12:20:33 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1436
Tom wasn’t the most gifted physically, so I doubt he would have had much success in baseball.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2023, 06:24:15 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176
Tom wasn’t the most gifted physically, so I doubt he would have had much success in baseball.

The exact type of comment that drove him to be the goat in the nfl…a league where you have to be more physically gifted…I almost gotta believe you’re kidding?

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2023, 09:44:10 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Most impressive thing there would be single-handedly keeping the Expos in Montreal.
Yup

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2023, 09:58:06 AM »

Online Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203

The exact type of comment that drove him to be the goat in the nfl…a league where you have to be more physically gifted…I almost gotta believe you’re kidding?

Football smarts can take you much further than baseball where pure power and force makes or break a player (see steroids). I can’t see Brady making too many athletic plays in the outfield or home run as a hitter, but I think he’d be good at making plays to get on base and would be a very good accurate pitcher, maybe even a closer.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2023, 10:45:13 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Football smarts can take you much further than baseball where pure power and force makes or break a player (see steroids). I can’t see Brady making too many athletic plays in the outfield or home run as a hitter, but I think he’d be good at making plays to get on base and would be a very good accurate pitcher, maybe even a closer.

Exactly. His IQ and ability to perform under pressure is what made him the best QB of all time, not his athletic talent which is something he would need in a sport like baseball. Pliability isn’t going to help him hit 20hr’s a season or throw a 90mph fastball either.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2023, 12:31:45 PM by Goldstar88 »
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2023, 10:47:16 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I can't speak to pitching, but I think hitting is based on elite hand-eye coordination and eyesight, along with fast twitch muscles.  It's why some guys you wouldn't think of as traditional athletes can excel (John Kruk being a shining example), while so many great athletes can't do it (Jordan).

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2023, 11:06:45 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Hey, if you want believe that Tom is like Bo Jackson, have at it. That’s what he’d have to be to hit 650HR’s.  :laugh:
« Last Edit: December 24, 2023, 11:48:02 AM by Goldstar88 »

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2023, 02:42:45 PM »

Offline Chef Parish

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 1673
Can you do one for Tony Gwynn and Dave Winfield next (but for the NBA)?

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2023, 07:06:51 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Brady was an excellent baseball player.  Transitioned from 1B to C his senior year and got drafted in 18th round. The Expos thought so highly of him, they offered him late 2nd, early 3rd round money to try and get him away from football.  Brady was a far better athlete than he isngiven credit for. He basically had the prototypical build of a power hitter (and QB obviously).  He'd have probably had a solid career in the MLB. Too hard to predict how good as there is just so many things that dictate those things.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2023, 07:21:49 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Brady was an excellent baseball player.  Transitioned from 1B to C his senior year and got drafted in 18th round. The Expos thought so highly of him, they offered him late 2nd, early 3rd round money to try and get him away from football.  Brady was a far better athlete than he isngiven credit for. He basically had the prototypical build of a power hitter (and QB obviously).  He'd have probably had a solid career in the MLB. Too hard to predict how good as there is just so many things that dictate those things.

Do most 18th rounders -- or even 3rd rounders -- make it to MLB?  and have a solid career there?  What separated him as a baseball prospect from Drew Henson?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2023, 11:16:33 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Do most 18th rounders -- or even 3rd rounders -- make it to MLB?  and have a solid career there?  What separated him as a baseball prospect from Drew Henson?
Henson was a better football prospect, how'd that work out?

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2023, 11:26:53 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Right.  You can't take a middling prospect in any sport and project a solid career for them.  Looking at probabilities, Brady probably would have been as successful as Henson, or Tebow, or the vast majority of non-elite prospects.

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2023, 12:18:11 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Right.  You can't take a middling prospect in any sport and project a solid career for them.  Looking at probabilities, Brady probably would have been as successful as Henson, or Tebow, or the vast majority of non-elite prospects.
except Brady clearly has something those guys don't given just how far above his football expectations he went.  Brady was a special dude. Those guys always seem to find a way to success.