Author Topic: Full Basketball HOF Class of '24 Announced  (Read 4976 times)

Full Basketball HOF Class of '24 Announced
« on: April 06, 2024, 12:35:12 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1622
  • What a Pub Should Be
Or the Hall of Very Good as some may call it.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Re: Full Basketball HOF Class of '24 Announced
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2024, 08:01:12 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4595
I think at some point over the last 15 or so years somebody slipped in and then it became, "well if that guy's in..."
« Last Edit: April 06, 2024, 08:17:21 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2024, 08:22:20 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1553
That is an awful player class. I'm not even sure I'd put any in.  Not sure any of them deserve it.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2024, 06:21:08 AM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620
That is an awful player class. I'm not even sure I'd put any in.  Not sure any of them deserve it.

TP

Feels like a WWE HoF induction. You wrestled in the 90s? Sweet you're in!
ok fine

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2024, 07:02:03 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 415
wow awful…maybe Vince but that’s it
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2024, 07:44:17 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Vince, Chauncy and Michael C certainly deserve it. Walter Davis and Dick Barnett were good but not HOF material. West as an Exec? Not sure about that. I don't follow WNBA much so can't comment on the women.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2024, 08:04:53 AM by Surferdad »

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2024, 08:33:26 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1771
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Why are there so many being inducted when this was obviously a down year? There's no rule that they need induct a certain amount and 13 is definitely on the high end.

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2024, 10:37:47 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
I’m surprised people think Carter shouldn’t make it. He is 21st all time in points and his dunking was a big part of the NBA culture and must see tv for the early part of his career. He was also an 8 time all star.

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2024, 11:28:28 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
The top 3 were all fantastic players, but not hall of famers. Officially a joke

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2024, 01:20:02 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2535
Vince, Chauncy and Michael C certainly deserve it. Walter Davis and Dick Barnett were good but not HOF material. West as an Exec? Not sure about that. I don't follow WNBA much so can't comment on the women.

Michael Cooper deserves it?  Definitely not statistically.  Nothing impressive there.  He was a good defensive player and pretty clutch at times offensively - when he was left wide open because everyone else on the floor required a double-team. Cooper is one of those incredibly fortunate, right place/right time players. Quintessential role player on a great team. FAR from HOF.

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2024, 07:33:47 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
I’m surprised people think Carter shouldn’t make it. He is 21st all time in points and his dunking was a big part of the NBA culture and must see tv for the early part of his career. He was also an 8 time all star.
he made 1 2nd Team and 1 3rd Team in his career. Thst is it. Just 2 top 15 seasons in his entire career. Just 4 sessons receiving MVP votes finishing in 10th in his best season.  Vince played a long time, but he isn't a HOFer.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2024, 07:41:57 PM by Moranis »

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2024, 08:39:08 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2414
Vince is an interesting career study. He only had a few years as a top player, a few more years as an All-Star player, declined rapidly while he should have still be in his prime and then hung around for a long time as a bench player.

So he had 6 and a half years in Toronto. A good rookie season below All-Star level. Then a three year run where he was one of the top 10 players in the NBA and one of the faces of the NBA for that period. The "next Jordan". Then he comes back plays only half a season of subpar play due to injury. Another All-Star caliber season on a lotto team. No longer a top ten player. Then dogs it to force a trade.

Then gets to New Jersey and resumes his All-Star level. NJ was a team that went to the Finals twice with Kenyon Martin who was an inferior player to Vince yet never look like anything resembling a real contender with Vince there in Kenyon's stead. Some of that was just bad roster construction but some of that was Vince not having as a big of an impact as hoped. Stats and highlights but not impact. Kenyon has more impact. Vince got 3 more All-Star selections in NJ and could have had 2 more.

Then he leaves and joins Orlando. He goes from an All-Star talent to a middle of the pack starter. He hangs on as a starter for 2-3 years and then becomes a journeyman bench player for 8 years.

Top Ten Player = 3 seasons
All-Star = 4-6 more seasons
Starter = 3-4 more seasons
Bench dude = 8 seasons

Only got Toronto past the 1st round once. Got NJ to the 2nd round twice next to Kidd and RJ but that team had been to the Finals twice before he got there. That is his playoff record as a star player. So very little team success.

He had a few more All-Star level seasons that I thought. The top ten & All-Star years gets him to 7-9 high level years. That is longer than I thought he had. Maybe enough to squeek into the HoF. I also think he benefits from being a "Face of the League" in 1999-2003. Vince was seen as more of an MJ replacement than Kobe was back in 1999-2001.

His early Toronto run was inspired. Then mediocre. Then rejuvanated in NJ but never touching the heights his Toronto run did. Never again being a top 10 player. Never looking a legit franchise guy again. Unable to lead his team to playoff success in both places. Unable to reproduce the success NJ had with a lesser star in Kenyon Martin.

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2024, 09:02:05 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Vince and Chauncy and Michael C certainly deserve it. Walter Davis and Dick Barnett were good but not HOF material. West as an Exec? Not sure about that. I don't follow WNBA much so can't comment on the women.

Michael Cooper deserves it?  Definitely not statistically.  Nothing impressive there.  He was a good defensive player and pretty clutch at times offensively - when he was left wide open because everyone else on the floor required a double-team. Cooper is one of those incredibly fortunate, right place/right time players. Quintessential role player on a great team. FAR from HOF.
I agree, edit made above

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2024, 09:55:50 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Vince is an interesting career study. He only had a few years as a top player, a few more years as an All-Star player, declined rapidly while he should have still be in his prime and then hung around for a long time as a bench player.

So he had 6 and a half years in Toronto. A good rookie season below All-Star level. Then a three year run where he was one of the top 10 players in the NBA and one of the faces of the NBA for that period. The "next Jordan". Then he comes back plays only half a season of subpar play due to injury. Another All-Star caliber season on a lotto team. No longer a top ten player. Then dogs it to force a trade.

Then gets to New Jersey and resumes his All-Star level. NJ was a team that went to the Finals twice with Kenyon Martin who was an inferior player to Vince yet never look like anything resembling a real contender with Vince there in Kenyon's stead. Some of that was just bad roster construction but some of that was Vince not having as a big of an impact as hoped. Stats and highlights but not impact. Kenyon has more impact. Vince got 3 more All-Star selections in NJ and could have had 2 more.

Then he leaves and joins Orlando. He goes from an All-Star talent to a middle of the pack starter. He hangs on as a starter for 2-3 years and then becomes a journeyman bench player for 8 years.

Top Ten Player = 3 seasons
All-Star = 4-6 more seasons
Starter = 3-4 more seasons
Bench dude = 8 seasons

Only got Toronto past the 1st round once. Got NJ to the 2nd round twice next to Kidd and RJ but that team had been to the Finals twice before he got there. That is his playoff record as a star player. So very little team success.

He had a few more All-Star level seasons that I thought. The top ten & All-Star years gets him to 7-9 high level years. That is longer than I thought he had. Maybe enough to squeek into the HoF. I also think he benefits from being a "Face of the League" in 1999-2003. Vince was seen as more of an MJ replacement than Kobe was back in 1999-2001.

His early Toronto run was inspired. Then mediocre. Then rejuvanated in NJ but never touching the heights his Toronto run did. Never again being a top 10 player. Never looking a legit franchise guy again. Unable to lead his team to playoff success in both places. Unable to reproduce the success NJ had with a lesser star in Kenyon Martin.
I just don't think he was a HOFer, but basketball has a lot over Hall of Very Good players in it, so I guess Vince is comparable to quite a few HOFers.  I think Chauncey has a better case, but I don't think he did quite enough either.  He at least had 2 different top 6 MVP seasons (including a top 5).  He was on 2 all defense teams along with the 2nd and 2 3rd's.  He has the Finals MVP and was the leader (even if not always the best player) on those Pistons teams that had great postseason success and well exceeding their overall talent level.  He even took Carmelo to the WCF after Detroit (losing to Lakers). 

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2024, 02:39:10 AM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 123

And was the leading scorer on the gold medal US olympic team.