Poll

Would you do this trade - #3, Jerebko for Noel, Covington, 22, and 24?

Yes
22 (26.5%)
No
54 (65.1%)
No, but wouldn't have took Brown
7 (8.4%)

Total Members Voted: 83

Author Topic: Poll: Would you now have made the Philly trade over taking Brown?  (Read 6083 times)

Re: Poll: Would you now have made the Philly trade over taking Brown?
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2016, 05:31:04 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 873
  • GOT IT!!!
Meanwhile from the Celtics:

https://twitter.com/Marc_DAmico/status/746437106071920640

Ainge told me the trades he discussed last night were for "good role players," not "stars." Their contracts would've affected C's FA plans.

Zaza Pachulia here we come!

« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2016, 05:33:25 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I have never been a ZaZa fan but he would provide some inside "toughness" which we are lacking.

« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2016, 05:38:46 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I can't believe some people actually wanted to trade the #3 for Nerlens Noel.  When many Celtics want to do that it makes me even more sure that Ainge is making the right moves.

« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2016, 05:45:20 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Meanwhile from the Celtics:

https://twitter.com/Marc_DAmico/status/746437106071920640

Ainge told me the trades he discussed last night were for "good role players," not "stars." Their contracts would've affected C's FA plans.

Zaza Pachulia here we come!
Not sure what Pachulia has to do with anything. What he's saying is that noone offered more than roleplayers, which I assume means offers included Middleton and Noel but not Okafor or Butler.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2016, 06:32:56 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
Yes.

Noel would solve your center and interior defense concerns for the next ten years. We would now be, arguably, the best, or close to the best, defensive team considering our already excellent perimeter defense.

Sign another stretch 4 like Anderson to add to Olynyk or get Love cheaply if Cleveland just wants to dump his salary (doubt the Love thing will happen).

Sign career 40% 3PT shooter Dudley.

Go win 55 games and become an attractive landing spot for a major free agent who wants to join a very good team and move them to championship contender status.

« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2016, 06:37:04 PM »

Offline i believe in brad

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 30
What this poll tells me is that even though I'm reading 1 negative thread/post after another, most here are level-headed and understand how much of an overpay that was for Noel. 

Hell I still think there's a chance they offer up Noel mid-season for cheap after their clogged front court experiment fails again.

« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2016, 06:39:34 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
And I still would have drafted Brown.

What can Brown do for you!   :D

"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2016, 06:39:40 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
What this poll tells me is that even though I'm reading 1 negative thread/post after another, most here are level-headed and understand how much of an overpay that was for Noel. 

Hell I still think there's a chance they offer up Noel mid-season for cheap after their clogged front court experiment fails again.

Looking at the deal in a vacuum is the wrong thing to do.  You can afford to overpay when you have 8 draft picks.  You can afford to overpay when you have two more top 5's coming from BKL.  You can afford to overpay when it puts your team in position to sign a FA like Durant. 

If you overpay, but then go on to compete for the title, does it even matter? 

« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2016, 06:44:37 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Everyone on this board wants a star. I love Nerlens Noel, but he'll never be more than a very good role player. Jaylen Brown is a risk, but he might be a star, and all we've been asking of Danny for the past few years is for him to take risks and try to acquire stars.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2016, 06:54:27 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I'd sure like a good defensive anchor.

I'd even pay Dwight. :-[
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2016, 06:58:08 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I wouldn't have made that trade, and I'm happy with Jaylen Brown.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2016, 07:02:15 PM »

Offline i believe in brad

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 30

Looking at the deal in a vacuum is the wrong thing to do.  You can afford to overpay when you have 8 draft picks.  You can afford to overpay when you have two more top 5's coming from BKL.  You can afford to overpay when it puts your team in position to sign a FA like Durant. 

If you overpay, but then go on to compete for the title, does it even matter?

I'm operating under the assumption that Noel does not move the needle for us in signing Durant.  I think most here would agree.

If you're talking overpay for Butler then sure, but you better be [dang] sure that the other dominoes are falling if you sell the farm.  It's also likely they were asking for multiple Nets picks so that makes your 2nd point moot.  Either way I'd rather take the chance on Brown than overpay for Butler and have the fate of our team rest in a small % chance that Durant chooses us.  Like I've said elsewhere, if Danny thought Durant was a decent possibility after trading for Butler, he would not have cared about an overpay and we'd have Butler right now.  But obviously Danny was not very confident the other dominoes would fall.

« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2016, 07:22:56 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Nothing against Brown.   As a pick he is fine. .......but there should have been no pick.....no wasted picks on players that will most likely never wear a Celtic jersey.

The trade for bigs was far more important and would have made a huge difference .

The war room looked sick I heard people report after the announcement .

Worst move since the Perk / green trade

Danny sure can pick his moments to do stupid stunts.

« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2016, 07:24:32 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
You can afford to overpay when it puts your team in position to sign a FA like Durant. 

You can also end up stuck with overpaying Tyson Chandler when you thought it would put you in a position to sign Lamarcus Aldridge.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2016, 07:27:57 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
YES!  YES! YES! and a resounding YES!

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell