Author Topic: Al Horford has been mediocre. He doesnt deserve his salary  (Read 59489 times)

Re: Al Horford has been mediocre. He doesnt deserve his salary
« Reply #90 on: January 29, 2018, 04:15:04 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
The NFL has a hard cap.  The NFL does not have player maximum contracts.  The NFL seems to work just fine. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #91 on: January 29, 2018, 04:32:12 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
I'm fine with Horford making what he makes. The NBA salary structure doesn't always make sense for a thousand reasons. Otto Porter makes more than Paul George or Jimmy Butler and twice as much money as Khris Middleton or Kemba Walker. There are too many variables to make sense out of these kinds of comparisons.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #92 on: January 31, 2018, 04:11:38 AM »

Offline CelticsJG

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 11
Horford is overpaid.Sometimes you have to over pay to get what you want

« Reply #93 on: January 31, 2018, 07:11:28 AM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
I never understood why so many fans get mad at what the Celtics do with their money. You see this over and over again. People complaining about the Celtics paying the tax, or giving this player this amount of money.

Some fans act is if they're the ones having to pay the salaries.
Money is an asset used to acquire players just like a draft pick.

Not sure how you don't realize that

So you think we could match everything Al does for this team with 2 maybe 3 different players in 35 million? It was money we needed to spend when we had it. There was no getting Al for less, and there was no duplicating Al for less.

« Reply #94 on: January 31, 2018, 08:00:35 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
To the OP is your goal to hurt his trade value or point out his flaws or perhaps both?

« Reply #95 on: January 31, 2018, 08:57:10 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
To the OP is your goal to hurt his trade value or point out his flaws or perhaps both?

Nothing posted on this site is going to hurt his trade value. 

« Reply #96 on: January 31, 2018, 09:54:00 AM »

Offline celtsrp33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 281
7 pts tonight.  Previously 2 other duds. Overall just not cutting it

He is expecting Kyrie to do most of the heavy lifting on the offensive end. Plus has been plain average on defense

What to do with this guy?  Maybe its time to consider trading him (and eat 50 cents on the dollar)

Trade for a cheaper option like Dedmon to take care of things around the paint

The Celtics are 1st in the East and Al is over the 30 y/o mark - maybe, just maybe he is saving it for the playoffs?  Talk to me about how horrible Al is in June - I guarantee you will be singing a different tune! 
Owner of Make Me Some Bacon in CB FBB points and H2H leagues.

« Reply #97 on: January 31, 2018, 11:12:56 AM »

Offline Pucaccia

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 65
I don't know if this has been brought up but,
Isaiah Thomas(last year) and Kyrie Irving don't get to
what they do unless Big Al is on the floor.  He is incredibly valuable.

« Reply #98 on: January 31, 2018, 11:22:26 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Still incredible how some of you guys watch the top defensive team in the NBA and don't care about defense to even bring it up in talking about players value and if they live up to a contract.  I get it with a crowd that I know are casual fans but you would think people going out their way to post on this forum, some with thousands of posts, would look at defense.

Just keep staring at that point column while the Celtics keep stacking wins behind Al's defense. 
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 11:27:43 AM by Snakehead »
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #99 on: January 31, 2018, 12:01:05 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
I think Al Horford is absolutely worth his contract. He is never gonna be a guy who average 20 points per game or who takes over the game on a regular basis, if he's your best scorer you aren't going t be a very good team. But on the Celtics where he has Irving and eventually Hayward ahead of him, he's a perfect fit. He a top 5 candidate for DPOY, one of the bets passing big man, shoots over 40% from 3 on good volume. What's not to like? Its easy to get caught up on his lack of scoring when our offense struggles but next year with Hayward back and Jaylen/Jayson progressing it wont be as much of a problem.

« Reply #100 on: February 03, 2018, 05:32:44 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Horford made Lowe's '10 Things' again yesterday:

8. Al Horford's second contests
There is a certain segment of basketball fandom that laughs at the notion that Al Horford -- 13 points, eight rebounds per game Al Horford -- might be a great player. There is something to that skepticism. Horford is not going to get buckets when the defense has you in a vice grip at the end of the shot clock, and at its most visceral moments, the sport is about guys who can manufacture those buckets. Most of the little Horford things we romanticize don't matter when you're down by one with 15 seconds left, and out of options.

But there are long stretches between those hothouse moments when all those little things count -- fractions of a point here and there that add up to something larger. Pile up enough value on the margins, and maybe there won't be any of those hothouse moments in crunch time.

Horford is a master at those little things. One of my favorites is his habit of sliding in at the last second to provide a second set of arms contesting an enemy jump shot:

Horford rarely reveals his intentions too early. By the time the shooter registers Horford in his airspace, it's too late to change course and kick it to Horford's guy -- who might be semi-open nearby.

Is Horford the front-runner for Defensive Player of the Year? Is all the attention on Kevin Durant's swats blotting out another year of sneering, long-armed brilliance from Draymond Green? What about Giannis Antetokounmpo? With injuries to Kawhi Leonard and Rudy Gobert, the race feels more open than usual.
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22292465/zach-lowe-10-things-like-including-kevin-durant-steph-curry-pick-rolls-nba

You can follow the link to see the video. The fact that Horford is one of the two most important offensive players on the team and is (for Lowe, at least) in the conversation for DPOY makes him worth his contract, I'd say.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #101 on: February 04, 2018, 02:20:47 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
Just going to leave this here post Blazers game lol...

« Reply #102 on: February 04, 2018, 02:21:28 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Yep definitely doesn’t deserve his salary  ::)
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #103 on: February 04, 2018, 02:25:25 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
/end thread

« Reply #104 on: February 04, 2018, 02:27:38 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280