Author Topic: How many goose eggs will Carsen Edwards lay?  (Read 10739 times)

Re: How many goose eggs will Carsen Edwards lay?
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2019, 07:38:45 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Go look at the video of his ankle injuries. He lands on a foot and rolls pretty hard. It’s way too soon to say he’s not capable of being a pro.

Would have sprained anyone's ankle too

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2019, 08:56:47 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I'll say this about Edwards: he definitely changes the opposing defenses while he is out there. He has gravity. He has to learn how to cut in ways that benefit his teammates too, but he makes an impact.

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2019, 09:13:39 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Outside of hustle, Carsen doesn’t bring much to the table. He has the energy to pressure the ball but he also gets abused on defense because of his size. Plus he’s a “shooter” who can’t shoot.

I get that CBS is experimenting right now but imo, the team generally does better without him on the floor. Pair him up with Kanter and yikes!
- LilRip

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2019, 09:30:13 AM »

Offline Wretch

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
Edwards is shooting almost 32% from 3 but only 30% overall. He's a good shooter so I expect his 3 point percentages to improve and he's learning how to finish at the rim against NBA players.  For comparison Smart is just above 32% from 3.  One or two good game and Edwards will be at league average from 3.  He'll be OK once he learns how to get his shot off against NBA bigs in the paint.

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2019, 10:12:04 AM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
He comes in and gets two or three shots a game. It's tough to find a rhythm that way.

Let's be real, how many starters start a game 0-3 before they start making shots? For instance Kemba Walker is the master of starting games ice cold then pouring it on later. It's hard to judge a player based on a few minutes a game.

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2019, 10:14:52 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
He comes in and gets two or three shots a game. It's tough to find a rhythm that way.

Let's be real, how many starters start a game 0-3 before they start making shots? For instance Kemba Walker is the master of starting games ice cold then pouring it on later. It's hard to judge a player based on a few minutes a game.
This is true, but he's going to have to adjust. He's likely going to be a bench scorer if he makes it in the NBA.

Coming off the bench ready to shoot right away is a real skill and something that takes work/time to develop.

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2019, 10:17:55 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I’ll be curious to see if he gets any chances to start if Marcus misses extended time while Hayward is still out.

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2019, 10:35:06 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Carsen and Grant are volume shooters

Not spot up

But Tatum and Walker are the only ones right now with a green light. Not the biggest fan of CBS method but whatever

Carsen and Grant are adjusting to their new roles .. it will take time

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2019, 10:41:06 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Rookies being forced to play more minutes then they should because of injuries struggling at the beginning of the season?   Why are we shocked?

Give them time.   

And maybe the question shouldn't be why not have Waters on the big club, but why not send these rookies to the Gleague for some confidence stints. 

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2019, 11:29:45 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Rookies being forced to play more minutes then they should because of injuries struggling at the beginning of the season?   Why are we shocked?

Give them time.   

And maybe the question shouldn't be why not have Waters on the big club, but why not send these rookies to the Gleague for some confidence stints.

I really don’t get why Grant is being lumped into the Carsen discussion.  He’s been solid and as advertised.  The post-draft report was that his shooting could be a question-mark but that he’d positively impact the game on both ends of the court, and that’s pretty much what we’ve seen.  There’s some inconsistency, which is also to be expected, but I don’t think either he or the team would be well-served for him to go to Maine.

Carsen maybe could benefit from such an assignment once everyone is healthy.  But not Grant.

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2019, 12:46:48 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
I'm not a fan of Edwards. I guess his absolute ceiling is Isaiah Thomas, but a) it seams highly unlikely that he'll reach that ceiling and b) I was never a fan of IT anyway cause he's a liability on D.

I could understand drafting a guy like IT at #60/late second round. I wouldn't draft Edwards at #33/early second round.

Anyway, it's still early in the season. Hopefully he'll bounce back.

« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2019, 01:50:44 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
I'm not a fan of Edwards. I guess his absolute ceiling is Isaiah Thomas, but a) it seams highly unlikely that he'll reach that ceiling and b) I was never a fan of IT anyway cause he's a liability on D.

I could understand drafting a guy like IT at #60/late second round. I wouldn't draft Edwards at #33/early second round.

IT almost singlehandedly willed the team to the nba finals. And you won't pick that guy with the 33rd pick in the draft?!

Dude, you are lucky to get a rotation player at 33.

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2019, 02:45:49 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

IT almost singlehandedly willed the team to the nba finals. And you won't pick that guy with the 33rd pick in the draft?!

Yeah, peak IT was an MVP candidate, easily worth a top 5 pick in the draft

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2019, 06:10:14 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Whether or not a player scores points is not the only way to assess whether they made a positive impact on the game.

Carsen is going to have a lot of bad shooting nights, but there's ample evidence to suggest that his shooting is real and probably even elite.  He just needs to catch up to the speed of the game and get comfortable shooting at this level.

I don't think there's any reason to conclude that his shooting issues are due to not being able to get his shot off or anything like that.  He just needs to get more used to playing short minutes at NBA speed.

Thankfully, unlike a lot of college gunners, Carsen appears capable of fitting within a team system and contributing to team ball even when his shot isn't falling and he isn't able to hoist a bunch of shots.

The ceiling is low for Carsen, I think -- Eddie House / Tony Delk / Daniel Gibson etc -- but I believe he'll be a useful piece.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2019, 06:49:20 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

I'm talking pre-draft. In retrospect, IT was way more valuable than #33.

My point is that I wouldn't draft a 5'9 guy early in the second round. Potential-wise, the best you can hope for is that he becomes a scorer off the bench. IT averaged nearly 30 points per game, yet he can never be a net positive starter on a legit contending team. To put it another way, a team where IT would be averaging 30 points per game as a starter, would never make a deep playoff run. Remember our team at the time? The whole starting lineup was built around IT. All 4 of our starters next to him were good defenders, plus they were willing to play off-ball on offense (Bradley, Crowder, Amir, Horford). IT was hands down our best scoring option. No team can make a deep playoff run with IT being their best scoring option.

Ideally, IT/Edwards is a scorer off the bench. How valuable is a guy with a ceiling like that? Personally speaking, I wouldn't invest an early second round pick in the hope of finding a scorer off the bench. I would still be searching for potentially starting-caliber players. But that's just me. Obviously, Danny has a different line of thinking and I respect that.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 07:45:05 PM by Jvalin »