Author Topic: Wyc on Felger and Mazz at 2:30pm  (Read 5840 times)

Re: Wyc on Felger and Mazz at 2:30pm
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2019, 01:20:56 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
TP to whoever is able to summarize. I'm at work, so unable to :(

You can summarize his interview pretty much like this:

"All the people who thought there would be issues with what was unfolding from the very beginning were right.  All those who jumped on them for daring to question the narrative were wrong.  But, at least for now, I'm not going to get into specifics."

The thing is, there were like 3 people in America who thought there would be issues such as what transpired. Pretty much everyone following the Celtics, including most everyone on CelticsStrong, didn't have those concerns.

I'm not sure were you're getting that theory, but a lot of people thought that we could end up seeing those issues.

Not sure about that, there were a lot of people who had high hopes for the Celtics.

« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2019, 02:15:50 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I heard the Wyc interview.

Obviously I don't have anything to base this on, but I just have this gut feeling that him and Ainge are going to try like hell to keep Kyrie and bring Davis to town.

I REALLY don't think they have any interest in a future that includes a team of Smart/Brown/Tatum/Hayward/Horford.
Just nowhere near enough talent on that team to compete with Milwaukee and Toronto.

With the Bruins on the verge of going to the Stanley Cup, the Celts would've been the only New England team in the last 12 months not to make it to the dance (and also end their season in very disappointing fashion.)

I don't think they want to be looked at as 4th best. Also, I'd like to believe Wyc is genuinely upset about how this season went. So, I think Kyrie and AD is the goal. Now whether it happens is another story.

I also did find the part interesting where he talks about how "the stuff you read on the internet is being fed by agents of 'other' players."

My interpretation is all the Kyrie and Durant rumors about New York aren't coming from them or their agents but from agents of other players in the league who would benefit from Kyrie and Durant in New York.

Then why didnt wyc just say he would like to have Irving back??

Keeping his options open by holding his cards close to his chest.

Exactly. If he says "I want Kyrie back next year", he's not only giving Kyrie leverage, but also could alienate other guys on the team who might think "oh great, if they bring him back, it means I'm gone."

He was very coy about everything and rightfully so. In a summer where I think any/all options will be considered, last thing you want to do is be transparent about you intentions.

« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2019, 04:01:48 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Yup, keeping Kyrie may mean trying to trade Tatum/Brown/no QO for Rozier and people around the league know it.

If you comment on any specific player you open yourself to a follow up along those lines and get thick into the weeds. If we just had one FA maybe he could say something but we have so many and the AD trade is public knowledge soo its weird.....

« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2019, 04:12:49 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Yup, keeping Kyrie may mean trying to trade Tatum/Brown/no QO for Rozier and people around the league know it.

If you comment on any specific player you open yourself to a follow up along those lines and get thick into the weeds. If we just had one FA maybe he could say something but we have so many and the AD trade is public knowledge soo its weird.....

And that's pretty much what he said:

"I'm just not going to comment about anybody on the roster on that. We've got 15 guys, and we're going to evaluate all of them, and I'm not going to comment on one person and then not comment on another, because it's going to send a negative or positive signal. Just don't want to do it."

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/wyc-grousbeck-noncommittal-about-kyrie-irvings-future-celtics
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2019, 04:16:23 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Obviously I don't have anything to base this on, but I just have this gut feeling that him and Ainge are going to try like hell to keep Kyrie and bring Davis to town.

I REALLY don't think they have any interest in a future that includes a team of Smart/Brown/Tatum/Hayward/Horford.
Just nowhere near enough talent on that team to compete with Milwaukee and Toronto.

With the Bruins on the verge of going to the Stanley Cup, the Celts would've been the only New England team in the last 12 months not to make it to the dance (and also end their season in very disappointing fashion.)

I don't think they want to be looked at as 4th best. Also, I'd like to believe Wyc is genuinely upset about how this season went. So, I think Kyrie and AD is the goal. Now whether it happens is another story.

I also did find the part interesting where he talks about how "the stuff you read on the internet is being fed by agents of 'other' players."

My interpretation is all the Kyrie and Durant rumors about New York aren't coming from them or their agents but from agents of other players in the league who would benefit from Kyrie and Durant in New York.

Exactly. If he says "I want Kyrie back next year", he's not only giving Kyrie leverage, but also could alienate other guys on the team who might think "oh great, if they bring him back, it means I'm gone."

He was very coy about everything and rightfully so. In a summer where I think any/all options will be considered, last thing you want to do is be transparent about you intentions.

actually no...

Horford may only return if Irving does or another star PG is signed....or maybe he is fine with Rozier at the starting spot

Rozier for sure won't return if Kyrie is brought back....or Celts plan to wait/pursue him

You have to be transparent with these players

« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2019, 04:30:58 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
next week Wyc, Ainge and party will sit down to analyze what went wrong, each player
 etc

sure they will analyze the crap out of it...but at the end of the day.... what can they really do?

losing Rozier won't be a plus. Even if you sign him to a fair deal, its better than letting him walk for free.  you could always trade him for assets later

Don't have much money to work with

If Horford opts out, this is a different path vs if he stays or willing to reconfigure his contract

I will be stunned if Irving returns, even if the Celts end up wanting him back

I don't think he enjoyed his stay here. Especially media scrutiny, butted heads with CBS ....

end of the day, minimize the losses.... replace key departures and will need to rely on CBS to work his magic once again

If Horford opts out (which is my assumption), I would go hard after Lopez....who is exactly the type of Center CBS is looking for (3 and D, can also pass a little).  Bucks likely won't be able to afford him as Middleton, Brogdon are going to demand max/close to it

Starting
Lopez
Tatum
Brown
Smart
Rozier

Bench
Fernando (draft pick)
Washington (draft pick)
Semi
Hayward
FA

« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2019, 05:11:53 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362

actually no...

Horford may only return if Irving does or another star PG is signed....or maybe he is fine with Rozier at the starting spot

Rozier for sure won't return if Kyrie is brought back....or Celts plan to wait/pursue him

You have to be transparent with these players

I'm sure he's transparent with the players. Just not with the fans (or the media) at this time. He can communicate to the players directly and not via the media. As fans we'd love to know what's going on but as far as they're concerned we're not in the "need to know" category right now  :laugh:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D