Author Topic: Cavs' Gilbert: 'We killed it' with Kyrie trade  (Read 5683 times)

Re: Cavs' Gilbert: 'We killed it' with Kyrie trade
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2019, 07:17:26 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
People should really stop listening to what Dan “Comic Sans” Gilbert has to say when talking basketball.

« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2019, 08:32:32 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
he lost his star first round pick for Sexton and a one legged 5 8" player drafted last .

That was good enough for Lebron to see the writing on the wall.

« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2019, 09:12:48 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
It was widely reported the Cavs were offered Middleton and brodgon for Irving. If the Cavs take that package they may even have another title right now and Lebron is probably still there

« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2019, 09:19:27 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Sounds like he's saying they made the most out of a difficult circumstance as could be expected.

Didn't seem like bragging.  He and Ainge are pretty tight.  He has no reason to brag in Ainge's face or stir up anything prior to their AD talks.

Was confusing Gilbert with Griffin, new Pel's GM...

« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2019, 09:22:58 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Dan Gilbert is 100% the worst but that trade's perception does vary wildly depending on where on the timeline you're looking at it.

Right after it happened: Yeah...I guess. The Celtics fans loved Isaiah and I can't think they're happy trading him but Kyrie is good and that Nets pick might not be all that great. A win for the Celtics, but decent haul considering how badly Kyrie wanted out.

After Isaiah's injury became known for how bad it was, and the C's had an awesome year w and w/out Kyrie: Wow. The Celtics killed that trade. It's embarrassing. LeBron is almost certainly gonna leave. And that pick looks like it isn't even gonna be top-10.

After LeBron and Isaiah left, and Sexton started out all-time terrible, and the Celtics still had huge expectations: I cannot believe Dan Gilbert is still an owner. Koby Altman did the best he could but this is proper "fudged".

After Sexton becomes good and Kyrie becomes whatever the heck he was after the All-Star and into the playoffs: As a Celtics fan I would like to say how unequivocally joyless I am and I hate these things (lists things). I blame these people (lists people). (Doesn't care about trade, too lost in tragedy of season)

When it looks like Kyrie is about to leave and Sexton looks like an exciting young player: I drink to numb the pain and confusion I feel because of this basketball team. I should probably get off twitter and hike more.

Have a Tommy Point, IP.

Great post.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2019, 09:26:22 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
It was widely reported the Cavs were offered Middleton and brodgon for Irving. If the Cavs take that package they may even have another title right now and Lebron is probably still there
wasn't that only after the trade with Boston was being questioned because of the medicals?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2019, 09:32:42 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
If you keep adding all of the follow-up moves (which Gilbert is apparently doing) the trade ends up something like this:

Cleveland Trades:
Kyrie Irving
#25 pick (Mo Wagner - gave this up to dump IT and get Nance/Clarkson)
Rose
Shumpert
Burks
Dekker

Cleveland Acquires:
#8 pick (Sexton)
2021 Milwaukee 1st (protected but likely to transfer before it becomes 2nd's in '24 and '25)
2019 Houston 1st
Jordan Clarkson
Larry Nance Jr.
Zizic
Chriss
Knight
Delly
Henson
Stauskas
3 2nd round picks

Now obviously it is silly to do all of the follow-up trades because things change so much with one simple move and they might have been able to make some of those trades with other pieces anyway.

« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2019, 10:09:33 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
Sounds like he's saying they made the most out of a difficult circumstance as could be expected.

Didn't seem like bragging.  He and Ainge are pretty tight.  He has no reason to brag in Ainge's face or stir up anything prior to their AD talks.

Was confusing Gilbert with Griffin, new Pel's GM...

it is confusing as hades ... ;D

« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2019, 10:11:24 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith

Gilbert is a double moron for that dumb move ...smh

he meant we got killed
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 11:11:59 PM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2019, 12:12:34 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
The follow up trades were entirely about eating money after they became a tanking team. They could have made those trades as long as they were taking on bad money, nothing to do with the Kyrie move.

« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2019, 01:31:46 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
wasn't that only after the trade with Boston was being questioned because of the medicals?

That’s not know anyone I read was presenting it on fear the sword today (or what I saw then), but I can’t say I personally know cause I am not that plugged into the Cleveland stuff on a regular basis

« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2019, 01:33:55 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
If you keep adding all of the follow-up moves (which Gilbert is apparently doing) the trade ends up something like this:

Cleveland Trades:
Kyrie Irving
#25 pick (Mo Wagner - gave this up to dump IT and get Nance/Clarkson)
Rose
Shumpert
Burks
Dekker

Cleveland Acquires:
#8 pick (Sexton)
2021 Milwaukee 1st (protected but likely to transfer before it becomes 2nd's in '24 and '25)
2019 Houston 1st
Jordan Clarkson
Larry Nance Jr.
Zizic
Chriss
Knight
Delly
Henson
Stauskas
3 2nd round picks

Now obviously it is silly to do all of the follow-up trades because things change so much with one simple move and they might have been able to make some of those trades with other pieces anyway.

I agree with you that this is silly. Objectively IT and crowder destroyed their chemistry and the scrambled and brought in some guys like hill and hood that played horrible for whatever reason. You have to think almost any other trade than the one with IT as the headliner for last season would have helped Lebron consider staying.

« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2019, 06:04:51 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

That’s not know anyone I read was presenting it on fear the sword today (or what I saw then), but I can’t say I personally know cause I am not that plugged into the Cleveland stuff on a regular basis
quick google search and that is what I found.  https://www.si.com/nba/2017/08/30/bucks-cavaliers-brogdon-middleton-irving-potential-trade

This is all dependent on the trade offer between the Cleveland Cavaliers and Boston Celtics falling through

So yeah, only made the offer when the Cavs/Celtics deal was faltering.  So the Cavs would have had to back out on the trade with the Celtics to make that trade. Can't fault the Cavs on that one as Milwaukee just didn't get into the game until it was basically too late.

« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2019, 07:36:52 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

quick google search and that is what I found.  https://www.si.com/nba/2017/08/30/bucks-cavaliers-brogdon-middleton-irving-potential-trade

This is all dependent on the trade offer between the Cleveland Cavaliers and Boston Celtics falling through

So yeah, only made the offer when the Cavs/Celtics deal was faltering.  So the Cavs would have had to back out on the trade with the Celtics to make that trade. Can't fault the Cavs on that one as Milwaukee just didn't get into the game until it was basically too late.

My take on this would be that the same thing was offered earlier and the Cavs didn’t take it, but leaked it after the physical to use as leverage against celtics to try and get more assets. Is there some other way that makes sense?

« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2019, 10:15:57 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Gilbert is in denial.  Both teams lost that trade.