Author Topic: Profiling Pete Rock and C.L. Smooth  (Read 3554 times)

Profiling Pete Rock and C.L. Smooth
« on: June 19, 2014, 05:14:05 PM »

Offline CelticBalla32

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 303
  • Anything is possible
What's up CelticsBlog family. I recently started getting back into writing a little bit, only this time it is hip hop-related as opposed to blogging about basketball. I recently teamed up with the editor of Sports Illustrated's hip hop blog (rhymejunkie.com).

I just completed my first post today, where I profile the work of Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth.

I hope I'm not breaking any rules by posting my work, if so I apologize in advance but I figure posting this provides a 0% threat level to CelticsBlog (it is a hip hop site but we don't use profanity in our writing).

Here is the introduction to my article:

In the early 90s, hip hop was in the midst of an elusive transition period, not only regarding how emcees delivered their poetry on the microphone but also in terms of its production. Rappers were spitting harder, more complex lyrics than they had in the decade prior and the art of sampling records would drastically enhance the boom bap nature of the genre. The game was headed in a limitless direction as the new wave of hip hoppers worked to create their own vibrant sound.

One of the undisputed pioneers of incorporating jazz samples into hip hop is Pete Rock. The NYC product would help lead the expansion of innovative sampling that was made popular by legendary acts such as De La Soul and A Tribe Called Quest, among others. The integration of jazz and hip hop would create an electric sound that would take hip hop production by storm and change the craft forever.

Pete Rock wouldn't climb the ladder of success alone, however. While he was no stranger to the microphone and was able lay down a quality verse, his energy was certainly more geared towards producing than it was focused on spitting bars. In order to make his presence felt, he needed someone by his side that could rock a microphone over his mouth watering beats.

That's where C.L. Smooth, another New York product, came in to bring it all together.

Behind a clean, consistent flow lead by a captivating signature style of delivery, C.L. provided the smooth vocalist that these soulful records were salivating at the mouth for. You couldn't have found a better match through an online dating service, especially back then because they didn't exist, but you get the point. They clicked. Hip hop was gifted a brand new style that infused the culture with a positive tone.

The duo's sharp lyrical content generally promoted positive vibes as it massaged your eardrums with its soulful sound, all while appealing to the streets at the same time. You don't find that every day in hip hop, especially at the time where mafioso gangsta rap was heading towards its peak in popularity back in the early 90s. While some of the more rugged acts rightfully received superior acclaim, it is always refreshing when an artist is able to depict the nature of the beast without aggressively advocating its devilish realities. While many artists choose to paint the picture of their upbringing with braggadocios storytelling, C.L. Smooth got his point across by looking at life from the descriptive perspective of a realist. When the mic was attacked with Smooth's hard hitting punch lines, they were always delivered from a poetic standpoint as opposed to using his rhymes to build an image.

Check out the full article here

*** If this link is a problem, I would have no problem putting all of my text in quotes ***

I will be be profiling a new artist/group in a similar format every week or so, at least for right now. I haven't started anything else yet but I'm thinking I'll end up tackling Lord Finesse at some point, probably Showbiz & A.G. as well.

Comments/discussion welcomed and appreciated!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 09:36:26 PM by CelticBalla32 »
Check out my blog, Chapsketblog - http://chapsketblog.wordpress.com/

Re: Profiling Pete Rock and C.L. Smooth
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 06:37:36 PM »

Offline CelticBalla32

• Don Chaney
  • Anything is possible
Bump! Heh

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 06:48:33 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Great article!  You chose a great group to profile.  They Reminisce Over You still delivers.  Whatta jam.

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 06:57:24 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
One of my favorite hip hop duos. I heard they reconciled after what happened to Gangstarr. But haven't heard any news about a new album ever since.

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 09:39:01 PM »

Offline CelticBalla32

• Don Chaney
  • Anything is possible
Great article!  You chose a great group to profile.  They Reminisce Over You still delivers.  Whatta jam.

Thank you very much, I appreciate it. "T.R.O.Y." is timeless

One of my favorite hip hop duos. I heard they reconciled after what happened to Gangstarr. But haven't heard any news about a new album ever since.

Yeah after their last album in 1994 they only made 5 tracks together, some of them a decade later.