Author Topic: This was a great draft for Celtics  (Read 3862 times)

Re: This was a great draft for Celtics
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2016, 09:21:33 AM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
I'm very happy with the draft outside of #3. Yabusele, Jackson, and Bentil are steals. Zizic looks solid. The Clippers pick will be a nice mid first rounder.

If our picks had started at #16 not #3, Ainge would deserve an A. I give him a B. I think Brown will be pretty good if not quite worth a #3 or the opportunity cost of the players we didn't trade it for. He won't be a bust. Hey, a B is good, right? Cheer up? No. When you have an A sitting there ready to be earned, and you expect an A, and all you have to do is sign your name and you get the A, but instead you drop the ball and you wind up with an B, that's a horrible feeling.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2016, 09:50:32 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
A great draft? I can't wait until 2019 or 2020. I need improvement now. That didn't happen. Terrible.
What else do you need?

I need a player that can play this year from a trade of all of the assets then I need a couple free agents. I got what 5 - 2020 projects and a 2019 lottery protected pick from the Clippers.

Indiana got Teague & Thaddeus Young for almost nothing.

So you want a team that loses in the ECF to the defending champions?

I would rather have a team that competes and loses to the champs in the ECF than a team that loses in the 1st round every year and just repeats mediocrity.

I'm not sure Teague and Young type players get us to ECF, I mean the east is weak, but only getting stronger.

But theres this funny thing called Free Agency. I'm pretty sure DA can grab a Teague or Young type player with out giving up assets.

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2016, 10:31:46 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
I'm very happy with the draft outside of #3. Yabusele, Jackson, and Bentil are steals. Zizic looks solid. The Clippers pick will be a nice mid first rounder.

If our picks had started at #16 not #3, Ainge would deserve an A. I give him a B. I think Brown will be pretty good if not quite worth a #3 or the opportunity cost of the players we didn't trade it for. He won't be a bust. Hey, a B is good, right? Cheer up? No. When you have an A sitting there ready to be earned, and you expect an A, and all you have to do is sign your name and you get the A, but instead you drop the ball and you wind up with an B, that's a horrible feeling.

If we did the butler trade not only will brown not be here but also yabusele and zizic.

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2016, 10:40:01 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182

I'm not sure who you are talking about that was this A option.
Was that the trade offer of Noel - rotation defensive big with no offense, Covington - bench shooter, and 2 crap late 1st picks?

Or was it the Jimmy Butler trade that never was going to happen because the Bulls had no intention of trading him for any reasonable price?  Want to get a good idea of what the Bulls wanted?  Well the Wolves reportedly went to bat hard for Butler and still couldn't come to an agreement.  Danny wasn't the one being difficult.  It was Bulls management.

http://www.blogabull.com/2016/6/24/12020974/jimmy-butler-trade-rumors-how-close-were-the-bulls-to-a-big-deal-on

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2016, 11:02:08 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Fox News:

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/2016-nba-draft-grades-winners-and-losers-062416

Boston Celtics
Round 1: Jaylen Brown, SF, California (3); Guerschon Yabusele, PF, France (16); Ante Zizic, C, Croatia (23)
Round 2: Demetrius Jackson, PG, Notre Dame (45); Ben Bentil, PF, Providence (51); Abdel Nader, PF, Iowa State (58)
Grade: A+

My goodness did Boston have a great night.

The Celtics used the third pick on arguably the third-best player in this draft (Brown), who also happens to fill an immediate need for them (wing scoring). Yabusele should be able to develop into a physical presence down low, and Zizic might be the second-best "true" international prospect in this draft behind only Dragan Bender. He'll need time, but could develop into a big-time rotation player.

What put Boston over the top, however, was adding two first-round-caliber talents (Jackson and Bentil) in the second round. Jackson specifically might be the steal of the draft, as an ultra-quick guard who averaged 18 points at Notre Dame and tested off the charts at the Combine.

I'm not sure how Danny Ainge did it, but he got five guys who could one day be rotation players in Boston.

First things first. I thought that deals with the Bulls and sixers were going to be especially difficult to do, I don't think the Bulls were going to blow their team up and we would have to blow them away, FKevin Pelton valued Okafor as a back of a top 10 pick and Noel as a mid-first. If Noel wasn't going to be a RFA. I suspect he would have been valued asd high, if not higher than Okafor. I don't think we we're getting emough and I don't think they could have sweet6ened their offer without exposing the lie of The Process. Their best assets are Embiid, if healthy, and Simmons. I don't see them paying Noel and Okafor is Al Jefferson 2.0.

I wanted Dunn, but IF Brown's shot that he showed in workouts shows up in competition, then he'll be a very good pick and a better fit. I think it's a given that he's going to be a good defender and a very athletic player.

I had Zizzic at 15 because I thought Int'l players would have an early run as teams wanted to do draft and stash and preserve cap room. In that sense the draft went that way and the some and some American players went later than expected. Yabusele went higher than expected, but he was doing very well in workouts and is a phyisical specimen.

I do agree with the sentiment about Jackson and Bentil. Jackson was listed as a first rounder by DX and I saw a lot of Bentil and was amazed he lasted so long. Very raw defensively, but he has a better offensive game than any number of players on the roster and can shoot with range.