Author Topic: jeff green vs josh smith  (Read 14003 times)

Re: jeff green vs josh smith
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2012, 02:36:03 PM »

Offline blastoidesroidsnoids

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 21
bass sullinger and bradley is unlikely. more likely is bass lee melo

« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2012, 02:49:48 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
If Josh Smith was brought in to join Rondo and an aging Pierce and Garnett, do you think he would buy into the team's offensive plan or would he see himself as the obvious #1 go-to guy who should be taking the most shots on offense?  If it is the latter, would the Celtics be better trying to bring in someone else who fits the team mentality better?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2012, 03:02:39 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
I think Bass, Sullinger, and Bradley for Smith is a very realistic trade for both teams.

It all depends on what they think of those particular players, and more importantly, what their plans are going forward.  While I hope that could get it done, they might just not be interested in downgrading from Smith to Bass AND giving up cap space this summer in the process.

Would you both be satisfied with the half year rental? If you want to sign him after what do you think he'd be had at?

Im still not in love with that idea swapping out Bass and Bradley (who knows about sully) for smith. I probably at least prefer to let go of Green instead of Bass as well.

« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2012, 03:05:43 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1558
I think Bass, Sullinger, and Bradley for Smith is a very realistic trade for both teams.

It all depends on what they think of those particular players, and more importantly, what their plans are going forward.  While I hope that could get it done, they might just not be interested in downgrading from Smith to Bass AND giving up cap space this summer in the process.

Would you both be satisfied with the half year rental? If you want to sign him after what do you think he'd be had at?

Im still not in love with that idea swapping out Bass and Bradley (who knows about sully) for smith. I probably at least prefer to let go of Green instead of Bass as well.
I don't think Josh Smith leaves unless Boston really low balls him.  He is good friends with Rondo and has spoken both of his desire to play with Rondo and his love for the Celtics and how they do things.  I think he will get a 4 year contract in the 60-70 million range, and I'd probably give him that.  He is still very young and is so versatile he could fit in with most offensive and defensive schemes, without much difficulty.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2012, 03:06:39 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2421

About $15 million per annum

« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2012, 03:12:43 PM »

Offline blastoidesroidsnoids

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 21
actually i change my mind, if it were green or smith id choose green (given that hes in good condition). Its hard not to want to use whatever we can to get josh when you look at his flashy numbers and sexy dunks, but giving up such a unique developing player like green, who also is our only guy able to play big minutes at the 3 if pierce goes down, is very risky. I think above all, he could realllly come in hand in the playoffs when facing lebron or durant.
He's a 6' 9 forward who can run the court and shoot well from the perimeter. Cant think of more than 2 other players like that.

I think green lacked the confidence to make effective decisions, and found himself out of place alot. Hopefully with having a years experience with the team and a full training camp season under his belt, he will go into the season more mentally stable to be as effective and efficient as his potential suggests.

« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2012, 03:22:05 PM »

Offline celticmania

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
i'm a huge fan of Smith and Green. They are both good but i think Josh Smith is an all-star player. I've always liked 6'9 combo fowards who are athletic and strong enough defend and play both foward positions. If we trade for Smith i would want to keep Green and we would be very versatile in both foward position and we can give other teams match-up problems in those position. Smith is an excellent defender. I remember when he stayed in front of Rondo, guarding him full-court. I also watched a Hawks v Heat game and he guarded Lebron very very well. Like i said, i'm a big fan of Smith, but i'm also a fan of Green, Bradley, and Sullinger (AKA our future). So i would be reluctant to give them up. I would trade:

Brandon Bass
Fab Melo
Courtney Lee
1st Round Pick

FOR

Josh Smith

« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2012, 03:36:14 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
If I were going to go after a star forward who was likely to be a max or near-max player, I think I would want one who is a better perimeter shooter than Josh Smith.  I'd be more willing to accept Smith if I could get him to take less jumpers while pairing him with a center who has legit three-point range.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2012, 03:40:23 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker

I don't think Josh Smith leaves unless Boston really low balls him.  He is good friends with Rondo and has spoken both of his desire to play with Rondo and his love for the Celtics and how they do things.  I think he will get a 4 year contract in the 60-70 million range, and I'd probably give him that.  He is still very young and is so versatile he could fit in with most offensive and defensive schemes, without much difficulty.

Yeah I would be devastated if we were paying him 15-17mil a year for 4 years. You'd be paying him like a franchise player. The guy has never been an all star, which I know doesn't mean a ton, but that is a lot of money for pretty much a borderline all-star.

I think he can get that much money but I would be extremely concerned if we ended up with that. I mean the guy has barely proved to be a good 3rd option let alone signing him to be a corner stone player with Rondo.

« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2012, 04:21:52 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1558

Yeah I would be devastated if we were paying him 15-17mil a year for 4 years. You'd be paying him like a franchise player. The guy has never been an all star, which I know doesn't mean a ton, but that is a lot of money for pretty much a borderline all-star.

I think he can get that much money but I would be extremely concerned if we ended up with that. I mean the guy has barely proved to be a good 3rd option let alone signing him to be a corner stone player with Rondo.
I think you are greatly underselling Smith's value and his ability to be a "third" option.  The Hawks finished ahead of Boston last year and Smith was their first option virtually the entire season.  If Horford isn't hurt in the playoffs, Atlanta very easily could have beaten Boston (as evidenced by how much better they played with Horford the last 3 games).  Now granted I think Horford would have been the first option with Smith being the second option if Horford was healthy, but the Hawks were 40-26 with Horford playing just 11 games, Johnson clearly slowing down, and Teague just starting to come into his own.  That was because of Smith who was a do it all player all season long
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2012, 04:31:26 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
i'm a huge fan of Smith and Green. They are both good but i think Josh Smith is an all-star player. I've always liked 6'9 combo fowards who are athletic and strong enough defend and play both foward positions. If we trade for Smith i would want to keep Green and we would be very versatile in both foward position and we can give other teams match-up problems in those position. Smith is an excellent defender. I remember when he stayed in front of Rondo, guarding him full-court. I also watched a Hawks v Heat game and he guarded Lebron very very well. Like i said, i'm a big fan of Smith, but i'm also a fan of Green, Bradley, and Sullinger (AKA our future). So i would be reluctant to give them up. I would trade:

Brandon Bass
Fab Melo
Courtney Lee
1st Round Pick

FOR

Josh Smith

It would be a bad move for DA to use Lee in that trade. Lee came here because he wanted to, and took less money to do so. That might not sit well with other players that may be thinking Boston is a place to play.

Sully could be trade bait, he did well in summer league. And no one knows how he will hold up, so if you turn him and Bass into Smith would be pretty decent. I think it takes a third and maybe even 4th team to get it done though.

« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2012, 04:32:06 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2975
Horford and Smith would be better off in green jerseys and coached by Doc Rivers... hands down

Whats more they both know it ... :-X

Same as  K.Love ; Al Horford and Josh Smith are wasting away in NO-Wheres-ville .

Fetch em in Danny !!!  might add, if you don't the Lakers will.. :-\
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 04:37:44 PM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2012, 04:32:22 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I think you are greatly underselling Smith's value and his ability to be a "third" option. 

Yeah, I think the whole problem with his career has been that he has almost always had to be a second or even first option.  If you have him playing with legit 1 and 2 options (not Joe Johnson, who has been very uneven, and Horford, who is a good defensive player, but not a go-to offensive player), then he is about as good a 3rd option as you will find. 

« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2012, 04:41:44 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I think you are greatly underselling Smith's value and his ability to be a "third" option. 

Yeah, I think the whole problem with his career has been that he has almost always had to be a second or even first option.  If you have him playing with legit 1 and 2 options (not Joe Johnson, who has been very uneven, and Horford, who is a good defensive player, but not a go-to offensive player), then he is about as good a 3rd option as you will find.
He's a lot like Odom at his best in that, except he's more defensive orientated and less offensively versatile. (not the same shooting range)

Both are/were the scariest guys in the league to get the rebound and take off on a break not named LBJ.

« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2012, 04:58:31 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker

When has he been a 1st or second option?

Id say its pretty clear that he has been behind both Horford and Johnson for a while except last year due to injury.

And ill give you this year him maybe being a 3rd option. After that he would clearly be our 1st/second option anyway. We'd certainly be paying him like a superstar when the guy is a borderline all-star. He's a nice player but 15+ mil a year?

Also isn't this the guy who sat out of one of their playoff games because of some wimpy bruise?