Author Topic: KG salary question  (Read 5824 times)

Re: KG salary question
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2012, 12:24:05 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Hoopshype have made some updates to KG and Bass.

2012/13
$12,467,532

2013/14
$11,532,468

2014/15
$12,000,000

Brandon Bass is making:

2012/13
$6,500,000

2013/14
$6,750,000

2014/15
$6,950,000

If Green is making 9 million next season we will not be able to use the BAE this year but next.

While the KG numbers seem high to me (based on the fact that his contract was reported as $34 mil/3, and this is $36/3), these would be two more examples of DA (smartly) not giving max raises.

Also, assuming that these (and other hoopshype/shamsports numbers) are correct, that would leave the Celtics with no room to waive an injured player to sign a vet at the min, if Green is getting $9 mil this year.  Assuming that Christmas and Joseph make the roster, and Smith gets cut, they have about $50k of room underneath the hard cap.

I sincerely hope these numbers are wrong.

It will likely prove foolish for Danny to use our entire room under the apron on off-season moves.  No ability to trade or add a vet near the deadline.  The unknown must always be planned for.  The C's have only one true starting level big (Bass nor Green should not really start at PF).

The only small nugget of hope is that Hoopshype is the site I trust least for accurate salaries.

NOTE:  We could still trade, just not for additional salary.  This would prove difficult if we attempt to trade for a legit starting PF or C to play next to KG.  Smaller trades would possibly work, but be unlikely.

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2012, 12:39:00 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
There are ways to get stuff done later in the season. For example, you trade a young guy and cash to another team and then you sign the cut vet you want for the prorated minimum.

There is also the possibility of signing guys like Joseph and Christmas to partially guaranteed contracts where you can cut them in December if needed at no cost.

I wouldn't worry.

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2012, 02:32:10 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
There are ways to get stuff done later in the season. For example, you trade a young guy and cash to another team and then you sign the cut vet you want for the prorated minimum.

There is also the possibility of signing guys like Joseph and Christmas to partially guaranteed contracts where you can cut them in December if needed at no cost.

I wouldn't worry.

While it's true there are ways, they are fewer than you think.  For instance, the contract for Smith is already signed -- he gets $25k for coming to camp, and then it becomes guaranteed for the year if he makes the team.  I bet Christmas' contract is similar, but with a little more paid as a guarantee, probably $75k.  He didn't merely get a camp invite -- he's signed a contract that already includes either a partial or full guarantee if he makes the team (and I'm betting on a full guarantee.)  Joseph, from what I've seen reported, is non-guaranteed until the end of training camp.  If he makes the team, he's guaranteed for the year, and is non-guaranteed again next off-season through some date.

Additionally, there is a limit as to how much cash you can trade during a season.  They've already used a good chunk (I've never seen the exact amount, but I'd guess around half) in the Courtney Lee deal, to pay off Portland.  So, yes, you can ship off a rookie, or whichever vet making the min you've found not useful, to create an opening for another vet at the min, but you're probably going to have to include a draft pick of some sort to get it done.

If the numbers are correct (and I do think that's a big if -- I'd love to see them sourced, as opposed to ESPN sourcing using ShamSports as a source and then a third-party saying "the same number is on two sites, it must be good") the Celtics will be very, very limited in their roster flexibility.  That could be by design, as the front office may not see anyone likely to be worth getting becoming available mid-season.  (For instance, you may not think Brandon Bass or Jeff Green are starting big man quality, but who are you going to get for the vet min in the middle of the season that is better?)  I wouldn't be surprised to see them throw whatever small amount of cash they have left at some vet as a similar "come-to-training-camp-and-earn-a-spot-on-the-team bonus" to give them one other player to look at for a final roster spot.  I also wouldn't be surprised to see them start the season with only 14 guaranteed contracts if 2 of Smith, Joseph, and Christmas just don't look like NBA players during camp.

I'm not personally worried about the lack of flexibility, but it is a real issue they're going to have to deal with this year.  Next year I think they're going to have no problem with the hard cap at all, but this year will be a struggle.

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2012, 01:21:34 PM »

Offline gotjoker?

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 8
Does anyone know whether or not Garnett's third year is guaranteed? Because I've heard that Pierce's last year isn't guaranteed if he isn't on the roster before a certain date.

It just doesn't make sense to sign Garnett to three years when Pierce only has two years left.  He's older than Pierce.  Boston could've been set up nicely salary cap wise in 2014 if not for that third year and Bass' third year.  Bass isn't worth $6M+ a season.

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2012, 02:32:05 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Does anyone know whether or not Garnett's third year is guaranteed? Because I've heard that Pierce's last year isn't guaranteed if he isn't on the roster before a certain date.

It just doesn't make sense to sign Garnett to three years when Pierce only has two years left.  He's older than Pierce.  Boston could've been set up nicely salary cap wise in 2014 if not for that third year and Bass' third year.  Bass isn't worth $6M+ a season.

Well, here is where it DOES make sense.  KG was likely going to get bigger offers on the open market.  And if the C's had signed him to any more on a yearly basis than they did (which might have been necessary to get him for 2 years), it would have really tied their hands with regards to the luxury tax, and ability to use the MLE.

So, they sign him to 3 years, at a smaller average annual value.

Then, if they do decide to blow it up after 2 years, they can cut him with the stretch provision, and spread his final year contract over 3 years. 

Although, I would not be surprised if the final year is a partial guarantee like Pierces, as well.