Author Topic: Could Horford end up being the worst contract of offseason?  (Read 92431 times)

Re: Could Horford end up being the worst contract of offseason?
« Reply #270 on: January 13, 2020, 12:49:07 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Obviously 6 of 16 isn't very good but he did finish with 16 points, 6 rebounds, 5 assists, 2 steals, and a block with just 1 turnover.  Pretty much everyone on the Sixers was atrocious yesterday also.  They just got whipped by the Mavs

This is really interesting to me. We have all seen you use on off stats for a bunch of single games to make a point. Here Horford has a second worst minus 22 and you rattle off his counting stats. That is really interesting

Some "fans" just love to critique the celtics and defend other teams.

« Reply #271 on: January 13, 2020, 11:11:52 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Obviously 6 of 16 isn't very good but he did finish with 16 points, 6 rebounds, 5 assists, 2 steals, and a block with just 1 turnover.  Pretty much everyone on the Sixers was atrocious yesterday also.  They just got whipped by the Mavs

This is really interesting to me. We have all seen you use on off stats for a bunch of single games to make a point. Here Horford has a second worst minus 22 and you rattle off his counting stats. That is really interesting
The Sixers starters in that game were -19, -27, -18, -22, and then Scott who was -11, but played about 10 minutes (or more) less minutes than the other 4 starters.  In other words, they were all terrible.  If Horford was -22, but the other starters were all like -5, then there is something there, but in this game they were all atrocious and were all atrocious basically as a unit. 

As for my focus on on/off, I use those because they show a player's importance to the scoreboard more than any other individual stat.  If your team is significantly better when you are in the game then when you are on the bench, your value is clear.  Tatum has cooled off since his super elite start, but he still also by far the best on/off per 100 differential of the 6 regular starters at +10.4 which is down from his great start, but is still borderline elite.  In fact Brown, Smart, and Theis are all still negative in the on/off and Kemba and Gordon are both less than 1.  The fact that Tatum is still so much higher than the other starters after 37 games says a great deal about just how important Tatum actually is to the team.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #272 on: January 13, 2020, 11:30:59 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Horford tried to set back the clock yesterday and launched 16 shots. Unfortunately he only hit 6 and was -22 for the game. Not what you want for 30 million
Eh that wasn't a Horford issue. I watched a good chunk of the second half and that game flipped completely in right at the start of the second half.

Mavericks came out with a ton more energy and aggression, and the 76ers couldn't get anything going on offense. Just a bunch of contested jumpers. Simmons in particular was a complete no show in the minutes I watched.

« Reply #273 on: February 02, 2020, 11:33:46 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
Sixers fans are turning on Horford, but honestly I think Tobias Harris is the guy they should really regret signing. And yes, I'd argue he might be up there as one of the worst contracts of the off-season.

5 years, 180M.

Yeah, he may be averaging 19-20 PPG, but that's basically all he does. Doesn't play great defense either. And when he doesn't shoot well like last night, then he's a complete liability on the court. I'd argue Tatum and Brown are both already better than Tobias Harris this season lol. I've seen Middleton help lead the Bucks to wins even without Giannis. Tobias Harris at best seems like a #3 option (or #2 if Embiid's out).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #274 on: February 02, 2020, 11:35:29 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'd argue Tatum and Brown are both already better than Tobias Harris this season lol

I don’t think there’s any doubt.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #275 on: February 02, 2020, 11:55:05 AM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Sixers fans are turning on Horford, but honestly I think Tobias Harris is the guy they should really regret signing. And yes, I'd argue he might be up there as one of the worst contracts of the off-season.

5 years, 180M.

Yeah, he may be averaging 19-20 PPG, but that's basically all he does. Doesn't play great defense either. And when he doesn't shoot well like last night, then he's a complete liability on the court. I'd argue Tatum and Brown are both already better than Tobias Harris this season lol. I've seen Middleton help lead the Bucks to wins even without Giannis. Tobias Harris at best seems like a #3 option (or #2 if Embiid's out).

Butler /Riddick > Harris /Horford

They teally messed up letting JR and Jimmy go.  And every year of Als contract its gonna look worse.

« Reply #276 on: February 02, 2020, 11:57:54 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
Butler /Riddick > Harris /Horford

Butler/Reddick/Harris > Horford/Richardson/Harris
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #277 on: February 02, 2020, 11:59:35 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Horford just don’t fit in 76ers lineup.. they using him different than what he did at Atl and Boston
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #278 on: February 02, 2020, 12:08:16 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
He has lost a step on defense for sure. Contract is looking like a real albatross. We dodged a bullet

« Reply #279 on: February 02, 2020, 12:23:28 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Horford was played almost exclusively by Brown and Grant Williams and though Al went for 9/9/4, Brown went for 32/9 and Grant had 5/3.

I will give Horford credit for playing better than Embiid last night, who appeared to call in the game from his hotel suite because he certainly didn't show up to play.

« Reply #280 on: February 02, 2020, 12:58:51 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
This Sixers roster just does not fit.  It's hard to tell where the true value of some of these players lays this season.  None of their best players are being utilized appropriately.  I figured defense would carry them and Harris would find a way to be the closer the team needed, but he slinks into the background too often.

My guess is Jimmy Butler saw this from the inside and that is why he wanted no part of staying in Philly.  The guys there all seem to get in each other's way and look to be having as much fun as last year's Celtics.

Guess the grass ain't always greener, eh Al?

« Reply #281 on: February 02, 2020, 06:09:29 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
This Sixers roster just does not fit.  It's hard to tell where the true value of some of these players lays this season.  None of their best players are being utilized appropriately.  I figured defense would carry them and Harris would find a way to be the closer the team needed, but he slinks into the background too often.

My guess is Jimmy Butler saw this from the inside and that is why he wanted no part of staying in Philly.  The guys there all seem to get in each other's way and look to be having as much fun as last year's Celtics.

Embiid seems to be the problem.  He just doesn't fit well with most of the rest of the roster and given he misses so much time, it is hard to work through those issues.  He is their best and most valuable player though, so it is a tricky situation.  I do think they'd be better off moving on from him as the rest of that roster could work, especially if they get the right pieces for Embiid. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #282 on: February 02, 2020, 06:14:01 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Embiid seems to be the problem.  He just doesn't fit well with most of the rest of the roster and given he misses so much time, it is hard to work through those issues.  He is their best and most valuable player though, so it is a tricky situation.  I do think they'd be better off moving on from him as the rest of that roster could work, especially if they get the right pieces for Embiid.
Neither are necessarily real trade opportunities, but who do you think would fit their team better: KAT or Beal?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #283 on: February 02, 2020, 06:29:15 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
They gotta trade brown too

« Reply #284 on: February 02, 2020, 07:00:22 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

Who takes Embiid?