Author Topic: C’s locker room after Game 2  (Read 11526 times)

Re: C’s locker room after Game 2
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2020, 03:03:03 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I think we can safely say Kyrie was not the only problem last year. There are some growing pain/maturation issues throughout the roster that still need to be worked out, one way or another.
And this might start with Smart. He has shown to be over emotional and immature quite a bit in his career, both on and off the court.

When Smart plays, well, smart, he is a godsend. But, way too often he doesn't play smart. He tries to be way more than he is on offense. Early in the clock 25-30 footers, lazy sloppy or way too cute passes, missing the clearly open man to explore his own drives, and overtrying to pick up fouls to go to the line are not uncommon for him. These things are especially true when he is on the court with players like Tatum, Brown, Kemba and Hayward who's offense should be the priority, not the worst offensive player in the 5 man unit.

If people were calling out Smart yesterday, he deserved it. Yeah, so did Tatum and others, but when Smart was freezing out Brown(the lack of touches for Brown in this series is disturbing), taking terrible 3 pointers early in the clock(at least 2 -3 that I remember), driving wildly into crowds attempting to pick up fouls causing TO's and making bad sloppy passes...he needs to be called out.

For all we know it was the coaching staff calling him out, hence his loud altercations with them, then he went into the locker room and went off because he didn't like the criticism.

People are painting Smart going off as a good thing but given all we know, my scenario is very plausible and could be Smart being immature and trying to throw blame elsewhere while Brown stuck up for the rest of the team.

You very well could be right, Nick. This scenario wouldn't surprise me at all.

Smart's contributions to the team are well known, so I won't recount them here, but "bad Marcus" is also a real thing that still happens fairly often, unfortunately. The moment from last night that stands out for me was when he took a 29-foot 3pt shot only 9 seconds into the shot clock. Like, what?!? Why? That was a bad play.

Whether all the yelling and arguing after was good or bad, we don't know. Only time will tell. Marcus made some mistakes last night, but so did other key players in games 1 and 2. Brad and all the players have a lot of work to do and a lot of things to figure out. And it still just boggles my mind that they've been unable to counter the zone defense.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2020, 04:51:47 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474
Now I'm terrible at judging these type of things (I always thought Durant and Westbrook were close, so what do I know), but I'm pretty sure Jaylen and Smart are pretty close.

If you watch any of the Celtics off court videos, it's fairly common to see Brown and Smart goofing off together.  Seemingly more so than any other combination of players.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpJG3sPxbmY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Bgzw1_q-3U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEh-QlZ8l9Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lu8Km5GqR_A

Here's some videos of the Celtics in game entertainment videos, do you see any other pairs of players together?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q0vM1RyUH0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PvF4uKh9C0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEgwMwav33o

In this SLAM video, you see them goofing off together, but it also seems like Smart and Brown have the most rapport, IMO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-BvnwKJGd0

Here's a bunch of videos of them practicing together:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aleQNlS7WyM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBD56TkOwFA

And in this one they're arguing, but it looks like Gerald Green and the assistant are smiling, so I figure it's friendly banter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl7ZJ3foJps

If I had to guess, I'd guess Smart and Brown are probably closest with each other on the team.  No way there's any animosity there.

yeah I am sure they are close friends, as I have seen other videos than the ones you posted as well.  I think there might be a little bit of hot headed older brother (Smart) vs more reserved thoughtful little brother (Jaylen) going on.  Smart seems to be very hard on Jaylen when he makes a mistake.  If those were the two going at it, then Jaylen really was keeping it in the locker room by complimenting Marcus so much in the interview. 

I go back and forth how much of a leader Smart is.   I know he gives 110% every game with his effort, heart, and body, but sometimes he gets too emotional and needs to get in control of that part to play his best.  If he was a true leader he would have included himself in the take down (maybe he did, who knows?) because he and Kemba and Tatum basically gave the game away with the 15 turnovers.  If you are a leader you take responsibility for your own bad play at the same time as inspiring the others.

From what I heard, I am not sure that Smart's tirade sounded like leadership, more misguided frustration at his own play. 

« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2020, 04:56:27 PM »

Online 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
I think we can safely say Kyrie was not the only problem last year. There are some growing pain/maturation issues throughout the roster that still need to be worked out, one way or another.

Kyrie was a little punk...The team has been a dream to watch again this season...it was unwatchable last season...C's played a tough 7 game series and had 3 days off...Miami was done in 5 games and had 6 days off.
Kyrie WAS the problem last year.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2020, 05:01:21 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

Yeah Kyrie was more of a scapegoat (though some of it was his fault.)

« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2020, 05:05:08 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

For me, I never thought it was all Kyrie's fault. Morris and Rozier were malcontents, and I even recall that Brown and Tatum and Smart had some immature moments as they tried to relate to the veteran guys and make it "their" team.

Well, it's their team now and they're blowing it.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2020, 05:53:16 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
what is happening now in no way excuplates Kyrie. He was a major problem last year, no ands, ifs or buts.

« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2020, 05:54:30 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

Kyrie was a little punk...The team has been a dream to watch again this season...it was unwatchable last season...C's played a tough 7 game series and had 3 days off...Miami was done in 5 games and had 6 days off.
Kyrie WAS the problem last year.

TP!

« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2020, 09:12:17 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Steven A. Smith kinda verifying my scenario for being called out for some offensive decisions, notably that horrid three point shooting decision.

« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2020, 09:19:35 PM »

Offline lrybrd

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 18
My guess is that Smart is p---ed at Tatum.  He wasn’t happy when Tatum didn’t kick the ball to him in the corner for a wide open 3 in overtime of Game 1.  Check out his face when Tatum is going for the dunk. 

Additionally, Tatum has been absolutely lazy on defense.  Watch him when Kemba has that bad turnover about 3 minutes about 4 minutes left in game 2.  Game gives up on the pursuit as butler scrambles and saves the ball going from out of bounds and leading to a 3 on 1 as Tatum watches from half court.  There is another play earlier in the game where Tatum doesn’t drop from the weak side leaving Bam open for a dunk.  Smart have him an earful. 

Simply put, Tatum has not putting in the effort at the defensive end of the court.  And my guess is Smart has had enough especially when he is jacking 3s.

« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2020, 10:06:48 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996

For me, I never thought it was all Kyrie's fault. Morris and Rozier were malcontents, and I even recall that Brown and Tatum and Smart had some immature moments as they tried to relate to the veteran guys and make it "their" team.

Well, it's their team now and they're blowing it.

Add Horford to the mix too for being a veteran but not doing anything about it. Just too busy looking for his way out and into Philly.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2020, 10:09:59 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

How on Earth could you come to this conclusion, Harry? This team has again exceeded expectations (without Kyrie), and every one of our young core guys have made a leap after he was gone.  Kyrie is among the most cancerous and overrated players in the league, and it's not even close.  I'm shocked to see this narrative still circulating on the site.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2020, 10:17:19 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I'm still optimistic.  As others have said, I'd be more worried if they didn't care, and I think they're mature enough to work it out. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2020, 10:20:10 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I'm still optimistic.  As others have said, I'd be more worried if they didn't care, and I think they're mature enough to work it out.
Game 3 will be very telling. From all reports (what the players have said + the leaders meeting Brad held) they seem to have put it behind them, but we won't know until tipoff
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2020, 10:25:02 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Yelling and screaming meaningless.  The team is already trying the best.  Just not good enough.  It’s up to brad to figure out adjustments that work.

« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2020, 10:26:01 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Yelling and screaming meaningless.  The team is already trying the best.  Just not good enough.  It’s up to brad to figure out adjustments that work.
With how carefree with the ball they've been I would be hesitant to call what we've done our best effort.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)