Author Topic: Hey, remember that time...  (Read 3336 times)

Re: Hey, remember that time...
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2018, 11:05:04 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
And if he joined us we'd likely go 16-0 in the playoffs.
I think even if we added LeBron without sacrificing a single asset, the Warriors could still beat us.  That's how historically loaded that Warrior team is.  Two generational MVP talents.  Three of the greatest shooters of all time.  It wouldn't be easy.
Are you freakin serious man? That Warriors team wouldn’t stand a chance
Yeah I'm serious.  You give LeBron this supporting cast and the Warriors might still be the favorites. 

One could argue KD is better than LeBron at this point.  Steph is better than Kyrie.  You can argue Klay is better than whatever is left of Hayward.  Draymond is better than Horford.  We'd have the edge with Tatum and to a lesser extent Brown, but there's only one basketball... and as long as you're going against a team composed of three of the greatest shooters in NBA history, you're not going to easily win.
Lebron is better than KD. One couldn’t argue otherwise without coming off as foolish. Kyrie and Curry are incredibly close. You have no clue what Hayward will be like when he returns, but if he’s ‘16-‘17 Hayward I take him over Klay comfortably. And Draymond is equal to Al at best. He’s hilariously overrated.

I don’t get you at all. You’re arguing that they’d be more talented, which is untrue anyway, but even if they are we just beat two teams with considerably more talent than us these playoffs lead by Al Horford and some kids, under a coach who is still learning. You don’t seriously rate GSW this highly, do you?
If Boston added LeBron, he'd get injured in the first 5 minutes of Game 1.  He's due.  Guy is 34 years old and has been playing 48 minutes a night.  Lol.

I agree LeBron is the best player in the world hands down.  I'm just saying that one could argue Durant is on that level or beyond it next season.  Bron has to start slipping at some point.

And yeah, Steph is better than Kyrie even in the rare instances Kyrie is healthy.  Hayward's career is over until proven otherwise, and Draymond/Horford is at most a wash.

Bigger issue is, there's just no telling how a ball-dominant basketball god like LeBron fits with the rest of that team.  What makes Golden State so dangerous, aside from the fact Klay and Steph might literally be the two greatest 3-point shooters in NBA history, is that Durant himself is a shooter as well.  They all fit together seemlessly in a pace-and-space 3-point heavy offense.  I'd like to believe LeBron could stay healthy, Kyrie could stay healthy, Hayward could stay healthy, and Horford could stay healthy in spite of his age, but even if they all miraculously were healthy heading into the playoffs, Golden State is a polished superteam that can go on murderous 3-point shooting barrages the likes of which the league has never and will never see again. 

We've already seen a Big 3 of LeBron, Kyrie and Love get dominated by this Warrior foursome.  In a normal universe, swapping out Kevin Love with a healthy Hayward and Tatum should be enough for Kyrie and LeBron to form a dominant superteam.  But this isn't a normal universe.  Golden State added an MVP to a 73 win team.  It's unprecedented.  The Warriors would still probably be favorites.

Moot point considering you can't add LeBron without sacrificing a significant piece of the puzzle.

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2018, 01:58:04 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Aaaaannnndd he's going to the Lakers. Can't wait for this to be done so we can focus on some real progress!

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2018, 04:19:25 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I think even if we added LeBron without sacrificing a single asset, the Warriors could still beat us.  That's how historically loaded that Warrior team is.  Two generational MVP talents.  Three of the greatest shooters of all time.  It wouldn't be easy.
Yeah I'm serious.  You give LeBron this supporting cast and the Warriors might still be the favorites. 

One could argue KD is better than LeBron at this point.  Steph is better than Kyrie.  You can argue Klay is better than whatever is left of Hayward.  Draymond is better than Horford.  We'd have the edge with Tatum and to a lesser extent Brown, but there's only one basketball... and as long as you're going against a team composed of three of the greatest shooters in NBA history, you're not going to easily win.
Lebron is better than KD. One couldn’t argue otherwise without coming off as foolish. Kyrie and Curry are incredibly close. You have no clue what Hayward will be like when he returns, but if he’s ‘16-‘17 Hayward I take him over Klay comfortably. And Draymond is equal to Al at best. He’s hilariously overrated.

I don’t get you at all. You’re arguing that they’d be more talented, which is untrue anyway, but even if they are we just beat two teams with considerably more talent than us these playoffs lead by Al Horford and some kids, under a coach who is still learning. You don’t seriously rate GSW this highly, do you?
If Boston added LeBron, he'd get injured in the first 5 minutes of Game 1.  He's due.  Guy is 34 years old and has been playing 48 minutes a night.  Lol.

I agree LeBron is the best player in the world hands down.  I'm just saying that one could argue Durant is on that level or beyond it next season.  Bron has to start slipping at some point.

And yeah, Steph is better than Kyrie even in the rare instances Kyrie is healthy.  Hayward's career is over until proven otherwise, and Draymond/Horford is at most a wash.

Bigger issue is, there's just no telling how a ball-dominant basketball god like LeBron fits with the rest of that team.  What makes Golden State so dangerous, aside from the fact Klay and Steph might literally be the two greatest 3-point shooters in NBA history, is that Durant himself is a shooter as well.  They all fit together seemlessly in a pace-and-space 3-point heavy offense.  I'd like to believe LeBron could stay healthy, Kyrie could stay healthy, Hayward could stay healthy, and Horford could stay healthy in spite of his age, but even if they all miraculously were healthy heading into the playoffs, Golden State is a polished superteam that can go on murderous 3-point shooting barrages the likes of which the league has never and will never see again. 

We've already seen a Big 3 of LeBron, Kyrie and Love get dominated by this Warrior foursome.  In a normal universe, swapping out Kevin Love with a healthy Hayward and Tatum should be enough for Kyrie and LeBron to form a dominant superteam.  But this isn't a normal universe.  Golden State added an MVP to a 73 win team.  It's unprecedented.  The Warriors would still probably be favorites.

Moot point considering you can't add LeBron without sacrificing a significant piece of the puzzle.
LeBron has been due an injury for a while now though. I think it should just be accepted that he's not human.

I don't think KD will ever be on the level LeBron has been on this level, and I don't think that's a controversial thing to say at all.

You say 'rare instances where Kyrie is healthy' as if Curry is someone who isn't as injury prone, and four years his elder.

I think if LeBron bought into Brad's system that team would be unstoppable. Like, NBA2k unstoppable. The question is whether or not LeBron could do that. I think if he realised how much he could win, and not need to play any more than 30mpg, he'd definitely buy in. Start as the star player, then fade into a 1a/1b/1c star, or even a number 2 guy behind JT and Kyrie.

Really, the only point I agree with is your last one. I still think this roster beats the Warriors if we're healthy.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2018, 06:03:04 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

LeBron has been due an injury for a while now though. I think it should just be accepted that he's not human.

I don't think KD will ever be on the level LeBron has been on this level, and I don't think that's a controversial thing to say at all.

You say 'rare instances where Kyrie is healthy' as if Curry is someone who isn't as injury prone, and four years his elder.

I think if LeBron bought into Brad's system that team would be unstoppable. Like, NBA2k unstoppable. The question is whether or not LeBron could do that. I think if he realised how much he could win, and not need to play any more than 30mpg, he'd definitely buy in. Start as the star player, then fade into a 1a/1b/1c star, or even a number 2 guy behind JT and Kyrie.

Really, the only point I agree with is your last one. I still think this roster beats the Warriors if we're healthy.
really the problem is that they have three guys who all shot 42-44% from three this season and made minimally 2.5 threes per game.   That's historic. 

I'd like to think Kyrie can get there, but he's career 38% from three.  Last season he made 2.8 per game with 40.8% shooting... so that's pretty close.

Hayward in his prime shot 37% from three.  A lower amount of threes, though.  Two seasons ago he was 2 threes per game with 39.8%

Tatum and Brown both shot decent percentages, but neither had many shots. 

LeBron is LeBron, but he's a 36.7% three point shooter who made 1.8 per game last season.

Nobody compares with Durant Making 2.5 per game with 42% shooting while Klay made 3.1 per game with 44% shooting and Curry made 4.2 per game with 42.3% shooting. 

Those three can out-shoot any team in history.  That's a problem.

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2018, 06:55:33 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

really the problem is that they have three guys who all shot 42-44% from three this season and made minimally 2.5 threes per game.   That's historic. 

I'd like to think Kyrie can get there, but he's career 38% from three.  Last season he made 2.8 per game with 40.8% shooting... so that's pretty close.

Hayward in his prime shot 37% from three.  A lower amount of threes, though.  Two seasons ago he was 2 threes per game with 39.8%

Tatum and Brown both shot decent percentages, but neither had many shots. 

LeBron is LeBron, but he's a 36.7% three point shooter who made 1.8 per game last season.

Nobody compares with Durant Making 2.5 per game with 42% shooting while Klay made 3.1 per game with 44% shooting and Curry made 4.2 per game with 42.3% shooting. 

Those three can out-shoot any team in history.  That's a problem.
Considering how good our coach and perimeter defence was this year, and will be for years to come, I'm not as worried about that as you seem to be. We have consistently defended them as well as any team over the last 18 months or so

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2018, 08:27:57 AM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
If the Boston Celtics win a championship with Lebron James on its roster, the team won't have won, Lebron will have won. The narrative will be "Lebron James finally put them over the top" and "Lebron is now the definitive best player ever".

How desperate are we for a single championship? This franchise has 17 of them! We are not Cleveland. Is competing for championships for the next decade not enough? Do we need to sell-out for a shorter window?

If Lebron James comes in here, some collection of these things go out: 1) another all-star player; 2) young assets and/or draft picks; 3) Kyrie (who desperately tried to get away from Cleveland); 4) ball movement/motion offense, especially in the playoffs; 5) a team-first attitude where no one is above the collective; 6) good team defense; 7) Brad Stevens, who may embarrassingly lose Hayward a year after recruiting him to Boston and will be getting furious calls from college programs; and 8 ) the Celtics being liked and respected around the league for "building it the right way".

Ready to risk losing those things for Lebron James?
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2018, 08:30:02 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
If the Boston Celtics win a championship with Lebron James on its roster, the team won't have won, Lebron will have won. The narrative will be "Lebron James finally put them over the top" and "Lebron is now the definitive best player ever".

How desperate are we for a single championship? This franchise has 17 of them! We are not Cleveland. Is competing for championships for the next decade not enough? Do we need to sell-out for a shorter window?

If Lebron James comes in here, some collection of these things go out: 1) another all-star player; 2) young assets and/or draft picks; 3) Kyrie (who desperately tried to get away from Cleveland); 4) ball movement/motion offense, especially in the playoffs; 5) a team-first attitude where no one is above the collective; 6) good team defense; 7) Brad Stevens, who may embarrassingly lose Hayward a year after recruiting him to Boston and will be getting furious calls from college programs; and 8 ) the Celtics being liked and respected around the league for "building it the right way".

Is it really a shorter window if Horford is traded to land James?  I'm not even sure if Irving or Hayward goes out it is a shorter window. 

And even if it is shorter, it is a much larger window i.e. the team would be far more likely to win a title.

Most of your #'s just aren't going to happen if James comes here.  They aren't even worth discussing since they are so out there.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 08:36:25 AM by Moranis »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2018, 08:40:25 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199

Is it really a shorter window if Horford is traded to land James?  I'm not even sure if Irving or Hayward goes out it is a shorter window.

I don't think the window gets shorter but I think you lose more options. What I mean is if we signed Lebron, we are not his final destination. He'll need to opt into his contract for this to work, so he becomes a free agent the next year. If he were to extend mid year then history says it won't be on a long contract.

My guess would be 2 years total in Boston and then he goes, for certain. Whereas following our natural path there is a likelihood that Horford or Irving or Hayward (whichever you have traded) stays and keeps developing and winning with the team. So you definitely have less talent on the roster longer term.

The main reason to say no to Lebron is team dynamics. The Olympics is the only place I've seen him let others consistently have the ball and be happy about it. It was clear Kyrie didn't like the dynamic in Cleveland and Lebron was a factor in that. I am sure the idea of playing with Lebron is enticing to the young guys on the team but do I think it will empower them and maximise their growth? No.

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2018, 09:57:04 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

What a joke. The Warriors were a healthy CP3 away from being eliminated by the Rockets. So unless you think the 17-18 Rockets would be better than James, Horford, Hayward, Irving, Tatum, Brown, etc. then your argument defies logic.

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2018, 11:06:09 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

What a joke. The Warriors were a healthy CP3 away from being eliminated by the Rockets. So unless you think the 17-18 Rockets would be better than James, Horford, Hayward, Irving, Tatum, Brown, etc. then your argument defies logic.

Despite the fact that I absolutely hate the idea of Lebron in Green....

The idea of having a starting five of James/Brown/Hayward/Tatum/Horford would matchup incredibly well against GSW. I don't think its a landslide favorite either way, but its close enough to make a justifiable argument either way.

I give the edge to that Celtics starting five myself.

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2018, 04:02:43 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

What a joke. The Warriors were a healthy CP3 away from being eliminated by the Rockets.
Nah.  That's like saying the Hawks were close to eliminating us in 2008 or we were close to eliminating the Heat in 2012.  The team with the most talent inevitably wins.  Rockets had no chance.  Warriors are basically unbeatable.  When a team is that talented, it has the tendency to get bored and lose focus until they have to hit the turbo button and crush their opponent - and that's exactly what happened in that Rockets series.

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2018, 04:15:46 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2018, 09:42:14 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

I don't think the window gets shorter but I think you lose more options. What I mean is if we signed Lebron, we are not his final destination. He'll need to opt into his contract for this to work, so he becomes a free agent the next year. If he were to extend mid year then history says it won't be on a long contract.

My guess would be 2 years total in Boston and then he goes, for certain. Whereas following our natural path there is a likelihood that Horford or Irving or Hayward (whichever you have traded) stays and keeps developing and winning with the team. So you definitely have less talent on the roster longer term.

The main reason to say no to Lebron is team dynamics. The Olympics is the only place I've seen him let others consistently have the ball and be happy about it. It was clear Kyrie didn't like the dynamic in Cleveland and Lebron was a factor in that. I am sure the idea of playing with Lebron is enticing to the young guys on the team but do I think it will empower them and maximise their growth? No.
I think Lebron wants the full max on this contract and I expect him to sign for the 4 year max with the last year a player option.  If he opts in and is traded, I would expect him to extend on the full 5 year max on that new team.  The only place I could see him going where he doesn't sign a max contract is Cleveland.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2018, 09:57:14 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
The idea that the Warriors would be better than us + Lebron is ludicrous
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2018, 09:58:02 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
The idea that the Warriors would be better than us + Lebron is ludicrous
Yeeeep!